PDA

View Full Version : how do you handle powder??

jhalcott
06-21-2014, 10:19 PM
I was talking to a guy at the range about Reloading ammo. Another fellow said he always tried to guestimate the amount of powder to pour into the measure. This cuts down on waste. After talking to him for several minutes, I discovered his meaning. When ever powder is taken from the factory container, any that is NOT used in the ammunition CAN NOT be returned to the container!!! Explaining the error of his thinking was futile and almost dangerous! HE knew what he was talking about as he'd been a reloader for several years! The first guy was very confused by the whole thing, and has NOT made the decision to begin reloading yet. He is supposed to come by my house to watch me and learn to do it by him self next week. I told Jim to call any of the powder makers and ask about returning powder to the original container to settle his nerves.
I almost believe the 2nd guy was only trying to scare the 1st out of reloading, maybe to get free brass!

JSH
06-21-2014, 10:56 PM
That is about the silliest thing I have heard this weekend.
Might be a good source for sprues? If he cast I bet he doesn't put them back in the pot!

bearcove
06-21-2014, 11:08 PM
Wow!!

flyingmonkey35
06-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Wait a second. Let's give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe he's thinking about mixing leftover powder of different manufacturers in the same container.

Such is a no no.

runfiverun
06-21-2014, 11:37 PM
I just put it back, or leave it there [whatever] I have more than one powder dispenser.

brtelec
06-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Ridiculous

NavyVet1959
06-21-2014, 11:50 PM
I keep one powder at my reloading bench and it is the powder that I'm using at that time. All other powders are located far enough away that I should not mix them up. As such, I have no problem with returning whatever leftover powder I have in my powder measure to the container it came from. Of course, from a practical standpoint, a lot more powder comes out of the keg and goes into the powder measure than ever gets returned to the keg. :)

bangerjim
06-22-2014, 12:13 AM
There is one born every minute!

banger

MBTcustom
06-22-2014, 01:52 AM
No wonder there's a powder shortage.

altheating
06-22-2014, 06:26 AM
I have made little tags that have been stuck to a piece of Velcro. I have the other half of the Velcro on each powder measure. Whenever I dump powder into the measure the appropriate tag gets stuck to the measure. When the powder is dumped out of the measure the tag gets removed. It don't get much easier or safer than that!

Cornbread
06-22-2014, 10:38 AM
I do the ONLY one powder out of the powder locker on the bench at one time thing. Once I'm done I dump it back in the container and put the container back in the powder locker. In the last 20+ years of reloading I can honestly say I have never once had more than one powder container on the bench at one time and knock on wood I've never had a powder mixup either.

About the biggest reloading booboo I've ever made has been a primer seated upside down and that is an easy fix. I'm pretty uptight about safety because I lived alone for so many years and the hospital is a loooooong ways away. I still wear protective eye-ware when reloading every single time. I've never had a bench fired primer but I've seen it done so I'm careful but not ridiculous.

The fellow being spoken of in the OP sounds a little ridiculous.

Pereira
06-22-2014, 11:44 AM
I've heard of some crazy stuff before, but that is pretty close the craziest thing I ever heard.
I'm like alot of you I just have the one powder on the bench at a time.
Hey Cornbread I've done that twice, but like you said it was an easy fix.

TXGunNut
06-22-2014, 12:58 PM
I've rendered a few pounds of powder unuseable over the years by pouring another powder into the wrong container but that's no reason to discontinue the practice of putting unused powder back in the right container. I guess if you're careless enough to mix up powders on a regular basis this might be a good policy, might be a better idea to give up on reloading altogether.

NavyVet1959
06-22-2014, 01:08 PM
I've rendered a few pounds of powder unuseable over the years by pouring another powder into the wrong container but that's no reason to discontinue the practice of putting unused powder back in the right container. I guess if you're careless enough to mix up powders on a regular basis this might be a good policy, might be a better idea to give up on reloading altogether.

Since I normally buy powders in 8-lb containers, I would hate to have to toss possibly 8 lbs of powder after emptying a small amount of another powder into it. I would probably just mix it up really well and then try to develop a load for it. If it was a slower powder being mixed with a fast powder, it would be less of an issue.

jhalcott
06-22-2014, 02:31 PM
The guys reasoning was that powder becomes CONTAMINATED once out of the factory container. Constantly putting it in the measure and back in the container causes deterioration due to light and reaction to the plastics in the measure. I HAVE heard that prolonged stays in the measure MIGHT cause some etching, but I do NOT leave powder in the measure very long AFTER I am done reloading. With some "stick" powders I think many kernels are cut. That may cause a concern but one or two cut kernels per cartridge should not be a worry. I have heard a lot of comments about reloaded ammo. Lots of guys at the range I go to most often will NOT use reloads. I just smile and pick up their empties for them.

Love Life
06-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Did this man at the range breath from his mouth excessively?

NavyVet1959
06-22-2014, 02:37 PM
The guys reasoning was that powder becomes CONTAMINATED once out of the factory container. Constantly putting it in the measure and back in the container causes deterioration due to light and reaction to the plastics in the measure.

I feel the same way about beer. My solution is to never leave an empty bottle around. <burp>

:)

Screwbolts
06-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Being this is the hunting with cast boolit section of the forum I handle all my powder while hunting in vials when hunting with MLs or by carrying it in bras cartridges when using a cartridge rifle.

Ken

opos
06-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Oh my!!

RP
06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Some people do things that seem strange to others its a mind set others will never understand. As far as not putting the powder in the keg seems off to me but I am sure I do things that seem odd to others. I label my dispenser with some painters tape with the type of powder and even the amount of powder its dropping I also keep the powder I am using behind it as a second safety measure. I do not leave powder in the hopper due to moisture and the effect I have see it have on the plastic hopper.

Petrol & Powder
06-22-2014, 10:07 PM

:bigsmyl2:

I've always used the "only one powder on the bench at a time" method and never had a problem.

fatelk
06-22-2014, 10:11 PM
I do the ONLY one powder out of the powder locker on the bench at one time thing. Once I'm done I dump it back in the container and put the container back in the powder locker.
This is the only way to do it, for me too. I used to think I could rely on memory to not make mistakes, but know better now.

Speaking of funny ideas and different perspectives- lots of them out there and we all have different things we're comfortable with, or not. How many threads and arguments have gone on and on over things like tumbling live ammo, lead bullets in Glocks, reloading steel or aluminum, etc.. Something like dumping unused powder, though, is over the top and seems a bit silly to most everyone.

A friend of mine will never reload a case that he doesn't personally know the history of. If it's not virgin brass or factory ammo fired by him in his rifle, it is suspect and he will not touch it. Into the trash it goes.:veryconfu

rking22
06-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Folks are different, I put a handwritten note with the date,powder type, and load that the measure is set for inside the hopper. I have multiple measures set up and several are the same type. When time to change one over, hopper gets a visual check against the note and powder back into the can it came from. Never mixed any powder, did have a gassious moment of the brain and dump shot into my powder hopper on a MEC once. The hoppers are reversed between single stage and progressive loaders, and I use both types. Took forever to seperate.That would have drove the OPs friend nutts.
Shoot skeet with a fellow that COUNTS the pellets in his 410 loads! Another has to tape his crimps cause his hulls are so tired, As I said folks are different.

jhalcott
06-24-2014, 12:49 PM
[ Another has to tape his crimps cause his hulls are so tired, As I said folks are different.[/QUOTE]
I am CERTAIN I shot with THIS guy on a couple trap ranges!

gwpercle
06-24-2014, 05:08 PM
That guy has the reasoning abilities a lot of (most) of our elected officials have . I call it backa$$wards thinking.
You know, smart people know they are smart, good looking people know they are good looking, ugly people know they are ugly , skinny people know they are skinny and fat people know they are fat , but I'm totally convinced stupid people are clueless to the fact that they are stupid.
Reasoning with them is certainly a waste of time.
Putting a note in the powder measure hopper indicating what it is set for is a good idea, I have been doing that for years.

HATCH
06-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Over the years there has only been one issue in my shop.
This happened when we were loading with H110 powder and it was low. My brother filled it back up with unique.
There was a clear line the you could see the unique and the h110.

For the most part the only reason you would not want to return a powder to a container is if you opened a new container that was a different lot.
But since I don't make any changes when I change lots in the same powder.

Weaponologist
06-25-2014, 09:47 PM
I keep one powder at my reloading bench and it is the powder that I'm using at that time. All other powders are located far enough away that I should not mix them up. As such, I have no problem with returning whatever leftover powder I have in my powder measure to the container it came from. Of course, from a practical standpoint, a lot more powder comes out of the keg and goes into the powder measure than ever gets returned to the keg. :)

Yep, Like Navyvet1959 I only have the powder I'm working with on my Reloading Bench at any given time..

Bzcraig
06-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Wish I was his neighbor......free powder!

CastingFool
06-25-2014, 11:39 PM
[ Another has to tape his crimps cause his hulls are so tired, As I said folks are different.
I am CERTAIN I shot with THIS guy on a couple trap ranges![/QUOTE]

I think I have shot skeet with the same guy!

Tom_in_AZ
06-27-2014, 02:49 AM
wow, craziness

GoodOlBoy
06-27-2014, 09:52 AM
I use Lee Powder Measure Kit (Dippers) and I handle powder differently. As has been said only ONE powder is on the bench at a time PERIOD, but I DO use a cut down powder container to house the powder I am dipping from while loading. When I am done loading the remaining powder goes back in it's original container (which is still on the bench) and get's locked back in the cabinet. I never mix powders, and I even go so far as never mixing lot numbers. When I am done loading my cut down powder container (an old Trail Boss Powder container) gets put in the dishwasher and run through before it is reused. I don't want to risk even the possibility of cross powder contamination in ANY amounts. That all being said. If I have to interrupt my loading for a phone call or other issue it all get's returned to the original container immediately if possible. If not and I have had to leave the room for any amount of time, AND there is anybody else in the area the powder get's dumped if I can't identify it. IE Trail Boss is easy to identify from any other powder. But I couldn't tell you the difference in Unique, HP-38, etc just by looking at the open powder without a label on it. I once had a buddy stay over for the weekend for some shooting practice and I had to leave my workroom to answer the front door. When I returned I found him staring into a second powder container via flashlight while the first was still on my bench (the lid was off the first which it hadn't been when I left). He assured me he hadn't mixed anything up, but I taped both containers closed with masking tape labeled "unknown do not use" until I could dispose of them. He was a little offended but I told him I wasn't about to risk a problem over a couple of partial cans of powder. Then I closed up my work room and called it a day. Everybody has their own methods for reloading, and so long as safety measures are followed I can't fault anybody for doing something different than I do it, unless it is just blatantly hazardous (more on that below). IE I consider it insane that some re-loaders by bulk surplus powder and "play with it" until they get a good load. If I don't know exactly what it is I won't use it. Several years ago a nice lady gave me some reloading components her late husband had had. Of the seven containers of powder three were unopened with a good seal. The other four I taped shut and labeled "unknown do not use" until I could (again) properly dispose of them. The man was the best re-loader I have ever known, but I didn't know the history of those old cans so I didn't use them. Overzealous? Maybe. But so far *knock on wood* I have never hurt myself or anybody else, and good Lord willing I won't ever do so.

On the flip side I have been on the range with people who eyeballed a powder they weren't certain of, or who thought you could just scoop a case full of any old powder and load it up because they were "experts" and had done it that way for "years". I have had to call an ambulance TWICE because somebody who I didn't know and had never met detonated a gun with this kind of stupidity, and I can't tell you the number of people I have met who have ruined a good gun but luckily didn't get hurt doing the same kind of thing OR were using somebody else's reloads they got or bought for "cheap" at a garage sale or auction. The very first time this ever happened to me I was at a range when a new "cowboy" shooter walked up to the open bench firing line with a brand new 45 longcolt clone of unknown origin. He hung his target on the 15 yard line during the cease fire, and observed safe handling procedures during the same. When "range is hot" was called he put on his muffs, loaded five rounds in the pistol, cocked the hammer and promptly detonated the pistol not three feet from my left side. The top chamber on the cylinder, and the top strap for the gun were never found, and there were holes in the tin roof over his head (not to mention several nice little cuts on his forehead and my left jaw). On his way to the range that morning he had stopped off at his brother-in-laws house and snagged a box of 45 longcolts loaded with 300 grain XTP Mag rounds loaded hot for handgun hunting in his brother-in-laws ruger blackhawk. The next week they shut the range down and built dividers between the benches. I got a free pass to the range when honestly what I needed was a new pair of shorts.....

The whole point is that I agree it is kinda crazy that he didn't believe you could return a known powder back to it's original container safely, and unfortunately there are those who have the opposite problem and don't see and issue with mixing and matching whatever. You can never be certain if a "expert" or "guru" is actually as stupid as they appear, or if they are just really really pitiful at explaining their process, but one thing is for certain. When you run across one like that the best thing to do is smile, nod, and walk the heck away. I'm glad that you are taking the time to show the other guy a good safe method of reloading, just goes to show what good quality people this board has.

My 3 cents, but then again I am a rank amateur and I know it.

GoodOlBoy

Cornbread
06-27-2014, 11:34 AM
The very first time this ever happened to me I was at a range when a new "cowboy" shooter walked up to the open bench firing line with a brand new 45 longcolt clone of unknown origin. He hung his target on the 15 yard line during the cease fire, and observed safe handling procedures during the same. When "range is hot" was called he put on his muffs, loaded five rounds in the pistol, cocked the hammer and promptly detonated the pistol not three feet from my left side. The top chamber on the cylinder, and the top strap for the gun were never found, and there were holes in the tin roof over his head (not to mention several nice little cuts on his forehead and my left jaw). On his way to the range that morning he had stopped off at his brother-in-laws house and snagged a box of 45 longcolts loaded with 300 grain XTP Mag rounds loaded hot for handgun hunting in his brother-in-laws ruger blackhawk. The next week they shut the range down and built dividers between the benches. I got a free pass to the range when honestly what I needed was a new pair of shorts.....
GoodOlBoy

This is why I don't shoot at the local range unless there is no one else on it. There are no dividers. Thankfully I can shoot out to 100 yards on my home range but for longer distances I go there and I maintain a family membership there as well but there are way too many idiots out there and I have never had to wait more than 30 minutes for it to be empty so I am lucky that way.

nekshot
06-27-2014, 05:37 PM
I bet that guy votes for the current idiot and his cronies also!

coloraydo
06-27-2014, 06:10 PM
I am in the "One powder on the bench at a time" crowd. My reloading bench is messy enough:shock:, I don't need to be introducing any other distractions.

uncle joe
06-27-2014, 06:13 PM
wait now this may be a new powder source he can send me his leftovers, just label them correctly and put in an envelope in a plastic baggie.

joesig
06-27-2014, 06:33 PM
I'd like to know how he handles the variation of charge weight as the level in the powder drops? Does he have the worlds best baffles or what?!

TCLouis
06-28-2014, 11:59 AM
One powder out at a time.

Put the powder left in the measure back in the original container when finished loading that run of ammo.

ghh3rd
07-07-2014, 11:27 AM
The bushes in front of his house are probably growing pretty well though..

dtknowles
07-07-2014, 09:05 PM
I have measures on my bench that I have kept full of Green Dot for more than a year, one on my progressive press and on mounted to the bench. I have been using Green Dot for most of my cast bullet loads. I was using Red Dot but switch to Green when I go a deal on an 8 pounder and my Red was low. I like the colored dots in the powder, even though I know what is in those measures it is nice to be able to visually check and see the green dots. I have other measures on the bench but they only have powder when I am active with them otherwise they get emptied. I do recheck the setting using a scale everytime.

Tim

Elkins45
07-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Maybe you should let him see the responses in this thread.

gkainz
07-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Did you know you can go to prison for tearing the tag off your mattress, too? :D

jhalcott
07-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Well Jim stopped by and got to watch me reload a few different calibers. THEN HE got to reload a few 44 mags With cast bullets. Not max ,but comfortable hunting loads. He also has a 30-06 that we loaded 50 cases with the 311041 bullet. He promised to come back and learn to cast when it gets cooler out. He is going to the range tomorrow to try out the reloads. He ordered a reloading setup already. He was surprised at the number of reloading manuals on my shelf.[smilie=s:

greenwart
07-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Cornbread has the process down. One Powder and one powder only. When I am done with that, it is empty out the powder dispenser and back in the cabinet. I did a review of non linear structural analysis last year and the impressive note in relation to fire arms is when metal goes non linear(ie. KaBOOM for you non technical types) It happens in a very small range of pressure increases. You will never get any warning when you cross that threshold. If you need a more powerful or faster projectile get the appropriate gun..

Bob

white eagle
07-23-2014, 08:04 AM
like you can't return the sprue from your mold back into the pot

Grizzly Adams
07-23-2014, 12:39 PM
There is one born every minute!

banger

And the second hand was pointing straight up when this guy was born.

Grizzly Adams
07-23-2014, 12:49 PM
I use Lee Powder Measure Kit (Dippers) and I handle powder differently. As has been said only ONE powder is on the bench at a time PERIOD, but I DO use a cut down powder container to house the powder I am dipping from while loading. When I am done loading the remaining powder goes back in it's original container (which is still on the bench) and get's locked back in the cabinet. I never mix powders, and I even go so far as never mixing lot numbers. When I am done loading my cut down powder container (an old Trail Boss Powder container) gets put in the dishwasher and run through before it is reused. I don't want to risk even the possibility of cross powder contamination in ANY amounts. That all being said. If I have to interrupt my loading for a phone call or other issue it all get's returned to the original container immediately if possible. If not and I have had to leave the room for any amount of time, AND there is anybody else in the area the powder get's dumped if I can't identify it. IE Trail Boss is easy to identify from any other powder. But I couldn't tell you the difference in Unique, HP-38, etc just by looking at the open powder without a label on it. I once had a buddy stay over for the weekend for some shooting practice and I had to leave my workroom to answer the front door. When I returned I found him staring into a second powder container via flashlight while the first was still on my bench (the lid was off the first which it hadn't been when I left). He assured me he hadn't mixed anything up, but I taped both containers closed with masking tape labeled "unknown do not use" until I could dispose of them. He was a little offended but I told him I wasn't about to risk a problem over a couple of partial cans of powder. Then I closed up my work room and called it a day. Everybody has their own methods for reloading, and so long as safety measures are followed I can't fault anybody for doing something different than I do it, unless it is just blatantly hazardous (more on that below). IE I consider it insane that some re-loaders by bulk surplus powder and "play with it" until they get a good load. If I don't know exactly what it is I won't use it. Several years ago a nice lady gave me some reloading components her late husband had had. Of the seven containers of powder three were unopened with a good seal. The other four I taped shut and labeled "unknown do not use" until I could (again) properly dispose of them. The man was the best re-loader I have ever known, but I didn't know the history of those old cans so I didn't use them. Overzealous? Maybe. But so far *knock on wood* I have never hurt myself or anybody else, and good Lord willing I won't ever do so.

On the flip side I have been on the range with people who eyeballed a powder they weren't certain of, or who thought you could just scoop a case full of any old powder and load it up because they were "experts" and had done it that way for "years". I have had to call an ambulance TWICE because somebody who I didn't know and had never met detonated a gun with this kind of stupidity, and I can't tell you the number of people I have met who have ruined a good gun but luckily didn't get hurt doing the same kind of thing OR were using somebody else's reloads they got or bought for "cheap" at a garage sale or auction. The very first time this ever happened to me I was at a range when a new "cowboy" shooter walked up to the open bench firing line with a brand new 45 longcolt clone of unknown origin. He hung his target on the 15 yard line during the cease fire, and observed safe handling procedures during the same. When "range is hot" was called he put on his muffs, loaded five rounds in the pistol, cocked the hammer and promptly detonated the pistol not three feet from my left side. The top chamber on the cylinder, and the top strap for the gun were never found, and there were holes in the tin roof over his head (not to mention several nice little cuts on his forehead and my left jaw). On his way to the range that morning he had stopped off at his brother-in-laws house and snagged a box of 45 longcolts loaded with 300 grain XTP Mag rounds loaded hot for handgun hunting in his brother-in-laws ruger blackhawk. The next week they shut the range down and built dividers between the benches. I got a free pass to the range when honestly what I needed was a new pair of shorts.....

The whole point is that I agree it is kinda crazy that he didn't believe you could return a known powder back to it's original container safely, and unfortunately there are those who have the opposite problem and don't see and issue with mixing and matching whatever. You can never be certain if a "expert" or "guru" is actually as stupid as they appear, or if they are just really really pitiful at explaining their process, but one thing is for certain. When you run across one like that the best thing to do is smile, nod, and walk the heck away. I'm glad that you are taking the time to show the other guy a good safe method of reloading, just goes to show what good quality people this board has.

My 3 cents, but then again I am a rank amateur and I know it.

GoodOlBoy

Very well said, wish I could be so gracious when I see people do stupid things, no slight intended. It's just that the older I get the less tolerance I have for Ignorance.

1Shirt
07-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Well, guess this is why I keep reading! Learn something new every time I open this forum. Not necessarily useful but interesting!
1Shirt!

jhalcott
07-27-2014, 03:10 PM
I have SEEN this guy at the range since our first encounter. He warned a few of the "regulars" to watch out when I am around, as MY loading habits are a bit OFF! Some of these guys have learned from me, and told me of the warning. A fellow in another club is going to run a reloading course in the fall. I intend to see this guy attend OR make a PUBLIC apology to me. HIS ideas do not cause ME any harm, but his comments MAY!

gray wolf
07-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Nothing to add, I liked what Tim said so I just reposted it as a quote

Jaymo
08-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I batch load.
I load one caliber at a time, using one powder at a time.
I only have one container of powder out at any given time.
As my loading has all been with Red Dot lately, I can look at the power and tell what it is, by the red dots that are in Red Dot powder.

I started using RD as a BE sub, out of necessity.
RD is everywhere, BE is not.
RD works well as a nearly grain-for-grain BE sub (depending on boolit weight, cartridge, and whoever wrote whichever reloading manual you consult).
Being able to visually identify it is just a nice side benefit.

As to the fellow in the OP, I just shrug my shoulders.
I know people who cling to the belief thT leaving a magazine loaded will kill the spring and that NO gun should EVER be dry-fired.
Try to explain reality to them and they get downright hostile.
I quit trying to help idiots many years ago.

jrmartin1964
08-02-2014, 07:54 PM
It's in the book:

Jim