PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Kurtz---Finally Progress

StarMetal
09-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Okay fellows...back at it again with the 6.5 Kurtz out of my 260 Rem Arisaka. This time I changed powder and bullet alloy. Alloy is 50/50 WW's and pure lead with some tin added. Bullets were over tempered. The powder this time was 844 surplus. I'll explain the shots on the target....Previous Shot was from the first load of 844 which proved to be way too hot for the bullet and that hole is the only one that printed on the target....yeah. #1 is the first shot out of a fresh cleaned bore. I do believe with my rifle that the bore needs to be fouled with more then one shot because #2 and #3 printed high, but then the rifle settled down and it shot #4, #5, and #6 into that one ragged hole, which by the way is 1/4 in if you measure center of bullet hole. I did fire these rounds in the order I marked on the target. Unfortunately I didn't chrono them, but believe them to be doing about 2200 fps. So finally go the 6.5 Kurtz shooting for me. I'll shoot somemore with the fouled bored to see what happens. Too boot I loaded these on 243 brass, not 260. My Rem 260 brass has too thin of necks and not enough bullet tension. I'm really getting fed up with Rem brass.

Joe

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385finally-med.jpg

Bass Ackward
09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Joe,

Looks good. Seems you point out the hardness, the brass, and the powder. So what are you crediting for the success? What do you feel was the single most important difference that is allowing success today where you .... had problems in the past?

StarMetal
09-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Gee John,

I'd have to say all the things I pointed out, the 260 Rem brass is terrible, the necks have hardly any tension on the bullet and that's even sized without the expander plug in the die, thus the switch to other brand 243 brass just for the test. Thinking of buy some good 308 brass and sizing to 260. Also I hadn't tried the 844 powder with the 6.5 Kurtz because I figured it was so darn close to surplus 4895 in burning rate. Then I made up a new batch of alloy like I described so not really sure what effect that played. This barrel is funny, it won't shoot cast clean and it won't shoot it really fouled after alot of shots. I've tried different lubes by the way too. It has a narrow range. I'd have to say having consistant neck tension played a major factor.

Joe

Bass Ackward
09-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Gee John,

I'd have to say all the things I pointed out.

This barrel is funny, it won't shoot cast clean and it won't shoot it really fouled after alot of shots. Joe

Joe,

I didn't mean to be funny. I just remember you whin .... complaining that nothing worked. I'm going to send a PM.

StarMetal
09-12-2005, 05:49 PM
John,

I didn't think that you were kidding. I read them as legit questions.

Joe