PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about case trimming on a budget.

C. Latch
06-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Some months ago there was a discussion here and I protested that I had no room to add a case trimming setup to my reloading gear.

Well, we just moved, and I have a good bit more room for 'gun stuff' now. I also have a pile of .45 Colt brass that is all over the map, length-wise, and crimping is getting to be an annoyance.

So I need a way to trim my .45 Colt cases. Will I be better served by one of the Lee quick trimmer dies, or buying a conventional spindle-type case trimmer? I do load for other calibers, but my .45 is the only thing I shoot often enough to make trimming a real issue.

Kevinakaq
06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Personally I prefer the Lee Trimmer that uses the gage and shell holder. You can buy them for around six bucks per caliber and pair them up with a universal cutter for around ten. They are fast and accurate. I use them for 223, 45-70, and any caliber where I need a quick trim job. Using them on a drill makes fast work of the chore.

I do use a Wilson 'lathe' type on rifle calibers for extreme precision work but for a quick trim that is accurate within a couple thousandths I don't see where you could go wrong with the Lee.

WILCO
06-21-2014, 06:27 PM
I do load for other calibers, but my .45 is the only thing I shoot often enough to make trimming a real issue.

Case trimming is always an issue. My vote goes for the LEE Zip-Trim, Universal Chuck and Case Length Gage with Holder.

redriverhunter
06-21-2014, 06:39 PM
i have the a lathe type trimmer it is what I use most of the time on all brass. the Lee case trimmer cutter and lock stud type which is used with the Lee case length gage and shell holder the biggest problem i have had them is if the primmer hole is off center the part that goes through the primer hole will not go thus making it useless. I have tried the Lee deluxe trim case trimmer it works i am not sure how well i like it yet some time it can be a pain to use (could be operator error).

ZigZagMarquis
06-21-2014, 08:32 PM
I use one of these with a die for 30-06:

http://leeprecision.com/value-quick-trim.html

Looks like you can get a die for .45 Colt:

http://leeprecision.com/45_long_colt_qt_die.html

06-21-2014, 09:15 PM
I have both, a Lyman trimmer and a Lee trimmer. I use the Lee all the time. I find it more accurate and less effort. I also use the lee trimmer with the big wooden ball. It doesn't cramp my hand/fingers during extended use. The Lee gauges give a no possible mistake method of cutting the length. Brass that stretches too much can definitely create a dangerous situation. With the Lee I "measure" each case by snapping it in to the device. If it cuts, it was too long. If it doesn't, the case is measured and approved. Also, the trimmer cuts the mouth of the case square to the axis of the case. Makes for an even crimp and a uniform release when the boolit leaves the case.

osteodoc08
06-21-2014, 10:14 PM
All I've known is the lathe trimmer. I've had many a blister from my Lyman, but it works and repeatable and accurate.

Good luck on your decision and leave a review of whatever one you choose.

C. Latch
06-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Does the Lee quick trim system leave brass shavings all over the press?

runfiverun
06-21-2014, 11:32 PM
all the trimmers leave brass behind.
some come with a vacuum attachment, some guy's just duct tape a vacuum hose to the bench.

tomcat388th
06-22-2014, 08:47 AM
I use the lee trimmers I took the cutter head and turned down the base so it would chuck up in a 3/8 drill. I clamp the drill in my vise and use a 1/4 drive screwdriver for the case holder. You can zip through a bunch of brass in a very short time.
J

C. Latch
06-22-2014, 08:56 AM
So....on these Lee quick-trim dies where you screw a die into the press and a cutter sits down in the top of the die.....

Here in the near future I expect to get a set of dies for my 6.5 Remington Magnum. As soon as those dies are here, I am going to try forming some 7mm Rem Mag brass into 6.5 RM. Obviously, that's a pretty extreme forming operation and will require some extreme trimming. I can do the rough trim with a hacksaw or dremel tool. But final trimming will be a bit more difficult.

Here's the question: While it wouldn't be ideal, would it be possible to adjust, say, a .270 WSM trim die, to allow me to trim the 6.5 cases? It seems that the 270 WSM die would work, in a pinch.

r1kk1
06-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Here in the near future I expect to get a set of dies for my 6.5 Remington Magnum. As soon as those dies are here, I am going to try forming some 7mm Rem Mag brass into 6.5 RM. Obviously, that's a pretty extreme forming operation and will require some extreme trimming. I can do the rough trim with a hacksaw or dremel tool. But final trimming will be a bit more.

I would use a 6.5 rem mag trim die. Easy one step operation since you are shoving the shoulder back. The rest will stick above the die. Not radical. .17 Pee Wee was radical case forming for me.

Lee will make you a trim die but when trimming that much off a file trim die is a way to do it.

take care

r1kk1

94Doug
06-22-2014, 06:36 PM
I see Lyman also has a small hand held case specific trimmer out. I only use an RCBS Lathe style. I take the handle off and use a cordless drill for power when I need to trim something like a 357 Herrett down from the initial forming from .30-30.....

Doug

r1kk1
06-22-2014, 06:50 PM
I see Lyman also has a small hand held case specific trimmer out. I only use an RCBS Lathe style. I take the handle off and use a cordless drill for power when I need to trim something like a 357 Herrett down from the initial forming from .30-30.....

Doug

Similar when doing Herrett's, Forster power trimmer in a drill press. Rebuilding my press now.

take care

r1kk1

orbitalair
06-22-2014, 09:19 PM
I prefer my Forster lathe type trimmer for anything more than a handful of cases. Its just so versatile. I use it to trim 9mmLuger by 1mm to make 9mmMAK ammo. Thats a lot of brass shavings. The Forster is a great value. I have mine mounted to a 6inch square piece of ply that I clamp to the garage workbench (to try and control the shavings). But for a handful, I do use the Lee fixed length trim tools. They are so cheap I get one for every caliber I load.

C. Latch
06-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Alright, I went ahead and ordered the deluxe trim tool and dies for .45 Colt and a couple of rifle calibers. Thanks for the info, folks.

C. Latch
07-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Well, I've trimmed most of my .45 Colt brass now, and a handful of other stuff, and so far the Lee quick trim thing works great. Seating and crimping bullets in the .45 Colt is easy again, too. That's what I was after.

Thanks folks!

GrantA
07-15-2014, 10:55 AM
I use the Lee case length gauge and just have the cutter/stud chucked into a benchtop drill press, on the lowest speed. It's right next to my RCBS case prep center, I uniform the primer pocket and debur the flash hole then attach the Lee case holder and push it over the spinning case length gauge. Just keep ahold of it! Then chamfer on the prep center and it's ready to go

dudel
07-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two.

I've tried (and discarded) the Lee trimmers. I settled on the Wilson trimmer. Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive. I like the way it holds the brass, the easy adjustments, how it leaves the brass, and the general quality of the device. I run it hand cranked; but there is a power option. With other accessories, it's a neck reamer and a primer pocket crimp remover.

Safeshot
07-15-2014, 08:53 PM
I use a Lee Case Trimmer (cutter and stud/gage) chucked in a drill press with the drill press spindle stop set to stop the end of the gage just in contact with the drill press table. It is fast, cheap, accurate and easy. If you do not have a drill press, a cheap "Harbor Freight" drill press is about the same cost or cheaper than a case trimmer and it can also be used as a "drill press", drum sander, disk sander, and has other uses.

Freischütz
07-16-2014, 12:07 AM
I'm very satisfied with the Forster lathe type trimmer. I mounted mine on a piece of 2x4. When I need it, I secure it to the bench top; with two C-clamps. When done, I remove the clamps and put it back in the drawer. Then the bench space is available for other tools.

attrapereves
07-16-2014, 06:14 PM
For smaller amounts 50-100, the Lee trimmer paired with an electric drill works great. If I had to reload a bunch of 223 brass, I'd probably invest in something a little quicker.