PDA

View Full Version : 700 Rem ...HELP!!

freedom475
01-18-2008, 02:45 AM
I had a shell stick in the chamber of my dads 7mm rem. It is a 700BDL Remington.

We forced the bolt open, and tapped on the bolt handle a couple times with a rawhide mallet. This worked very nicely to BREAK the bolt handle right off. [smilie=1:

Is there anyone out there who can put a new handle on the bolt of this rifle?....Please

It looks like it is just silver soldered on, but I'm not a gunsmith.

Don't want to send it back to remington. Its an older one without the lock.
It doesn't need a whole new bolt just a new handle put on, so I would like to be able to just send the bolt to someone who is able to do the job.

Thank you! Freedom475

fishhawk
01-18-2008, 08:48 AM
well thats why i don't like to cut and weld bolt handles on mausers would rather heat and bend in blocks. if you ask real nice i could either weld it or use high temp silver solder have to build it up a bit and polish it down i think the welding would cause less heat problems

kycrawler
01-18-2008, 09:38 AM
you can send just the bolt to remington and they will fix it this is a pretty common occurance cost about $20 for the last one i sent it customer dropped it out of a tree stand

scb
01-18-2008, 06:59 PM
If it was locked up that hard you probably ought to have the head space checked. Were you able to get the case out? If this was caused by an over pressured load I'd have the lugs on the bolt Carefully looked at, magnafluxed if possible.

freedom475
01-19-2008, 02:17 AM
If it was locked up that hard you probably ought to have the head space checked. Were you able to get the case out? If this was caused by an over pressured load I'd have the lugs on the bolt Carefully looked at, magnafluxed if possible.

I just hit the butt of the rifle on the floor and the bolt came right open.

It wasn't an over pressure load the chamber just had dirt,rust and crud in it from a couple hunting seasons ago....it's my dad's old trusty gun that has most of the misses shot out of it:mrgreen:....Its always got a couple rounds in the magazine for "just in case", so I grabbed it to shoot a coyote out of the hayfield....got him too...400yrds, 1shot , the ballistic tip almost cut him in half,,fur buyer wouldn't even take him for free:(

Fishawk: thank you very much for the offer.. the people here sure are great! I still might be back here asking you real nice for the help if Remington doesn't pan-out.

Kycrawler: I think if Remington will fix it for $20 thats the route I'll take ,......thankyou

13Echo
01-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Remington bolts are made in three pieces; locking lugs, bolt body, and handle. The whole thing is brazed together and is quite strong enough for even the military. Even a one piece bolt might not survive a rusted chamber and a hammer.

Jerry Liles

longhorn
01-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Reading on other forums indicates that this is well-known and reported failure. Another reason the dangerous game hunting types don't go for Remingtons. Try to get Remington to fix it.

Nobade
01-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I do this job quite frequently, either when fitting a new handle or reattaching a broken one. Yes, they are high temp silver soldered on. And even from the factory the solder job is not always up to snuff. I always check my job by smacking the handle as hard as I can with a rawhide mallet, and if I can break it off I try again. It took a while but I'm running about 90% first try now. Done right it's very strong, but it's just so easy to not do it right! BTW, if you get someone to fix it, they'll need the whole rifle since the reciever sets the location of the handle.

Stevejet
02-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Has anybody informed Remington that the "dangerous game hunting types" don't like their rifles? If not, someone needs to break this to them.

wiljen
02-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Has anybody informed Remington that the "dangerous game hunting types" don't like their rifles? If not, someone needs to break this to them.

Actually I think they do like Remington made rifles. They just go for the Remington Enfields with the big claw extractor. Didn't A-square start out building all their guns on 1917 Remington Actions?