PDA

View Full Version : Found a berm to mine, but can't smelt it

Jamesconn
06-20-2014, 09:09 PM
Well I found a berm to mine, and I really need lead if I want to start casting slugs and buckshot. The turkey fryer and pot I used to smelt got sold. I live in an apartment complex with quite a few idiotic rules so I can't smelt outside on my little slab of concrete.

I was wondering if anybody in eastern oklahoma would be interested in a range scrap for ingot trade. PM me if your in the general area and interested and we can work out the specifics.

Bad Water Bill
06-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Bump to help.

C. Latch
06-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Could you smelt just a few pounds at a time?

No friends out in the country who'd let you borrow their yard for an afternoon?

Lance Boyle
06-22-2014, 08:15 AM
ETA- I see ya sold your turkey fryer. Old coleman stove laying around for a second string method?

How about smelting in a small pot right at the range. Is there an out of the way spot once you got your gold dug? I've done that with a big batch. I've done smaller batches at my rental back in the day too. My LL lived right there and I gave him a run down and all the cautions. He asked some legitimate questions and I answered them and he was good with it. The slag went to the landfill. He liked to check out my actually casting part too. It didn't hurt that I also loaded his .308 deer hunting cartridges for him either. Good LL and good neighbor.

You might get flack at a membership club but I don't see much issue if you're not leaving the slag laying about. Always best to bag up the cold ash and slag and put in the dumpster where it can eternally rest in some double or triple lined landfill.

dtknowles
06-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Most places I have lived there are parks with charcoal grills and picnic tables I bet you could set up in one of those on a slow day and nobody would care.

Tim

freebullet
06-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Smelting there might be a good way to get out of your lease early so you could move somewhere you can do it.

Lance Boyle
06-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Tim, I wouldn't recommend that as a possible hazard for contamination of a place where folks will certainly be eating.

Lance Boyle
06-22-2014, 08:22 AM
I can also see settin up on some random public land. He'll look like some crystal meth cooker to the cops until they figure out what he's doing. I say friendly private land, his own place or a gun club place.

Sgtonory
06-22-2014, 09:46 AM
I used to smelt on 2nd floor of an apartment. I used a Colman stove and a cast iron skillit. It look like I was just cooking.

Charlie Two Tracks
06-22-2014, 09:59 AM
If you have the time at the range to pick up lead, there should be time to smelt it there also. Just an idea

seanhagerty
06-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Depending on the amount of mined material, I may be interested. I live in South Central MO. PM if interested.

Sean

MrWolf
06-22-2014, 12:06 PM
When I smelt it looks just like I am grilling as I converted a Weber grill with the metal dome cover - except for the respirator, sunglasses, and full face shield. Oh yea and the three fires from fluxes. Huh, guess I am not fooling anyone....

5.7 MAN
06-22-2014, 12:14 PM
When I smelt it looks just like I am grilling as I converted a Weber grill with the metal dome cover - except for the respirator, sunglasses, and full face shield. Oh yea and the three fires from fluxes. Huh, guess I am not fooling anyone....

what do you use for fuel?

MrWolf
06-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Propane. Here is my setup:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?240632-Weber-Smelting-Station

Jamesconn
06-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Haven't thought about smelting at the range thanks.

bruce drake
06-22-2014, 02:43 PM
smelt at the range. saves on hauling all your "ore" back to the apartment as well...

dtknowles
06-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I guess a public park is not a good idea if you are wearing a faceshield, respirator and gauntlets even on a slow day. I don't understand the contamination concerns, I would expect you would take all the lead, jackets and dross home with you?

Tim

bannor
06-22-2014, 03:06 PM
I've cast a bit in a public storage place, using a propane fired plumber's furnace, or a generator or power invertor on my car (engine running) and an electric pot. I"ve also used an oxyacetylene torch to do the melt, then a couple of butane torches to keep the pot hot for a bit.

RoyEllis
06-22-2014, 03:19 PM
I was wondering if anybody in eastern oklahoma would be interested in a range scrap for ingot trade. PM me if your in the general area and interested and we can work out the specifics.

Sent ya a PM bud.

Jamesconn
06-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks y'all, everybody on this board is so nice. I've found somebody close. Seems like casting is in my future after all.

another gsxr 1k
06-22-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm in an apartment too. I just finished smelting two 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights. I just use an electric hot plate and a small pot. I work off the tailgate of my truck. Not the fastest way but it works.

Bad Water Bill
06-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Just proves that members here can solve major obstacles and keep on casting.:bigsmyl2:

9w1911
06-22-2014, 11:20 PM
if you lived near Reno I would let you come over here for free no trades I dont mind helping, I suggest you take your smelting kit out to the country, bring a lunch and smelt away in the back woods somewhere

BK7saum
06-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Where in eastern OK are you? Just curious if you were close. You are welcome to use my stuff or borrow a setup got the range. PM me if you don't want to post online.

Brad

WILCO
06-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Haven't thought about smelting at the range thanks.

Check with the range officials about liabilities on their end.
Best answer for you is to purchase ready made ingots from someone here.

Firebricker
06-24-2014, 01:49 PM
James, If you need a mould to get started I will lend you my Lee 00 mould but it will be a bit before I am home to mail it. FB

tengaugetx
06-24-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm in Texarkana. 35 miles from McCurtain county Ok. Let me know if your current arrangement doesn't work out.