PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question for .45 acp . . .

glassparman
06-20-2014, 06:50 PM
OK so I'm fairly new to casting. I've had good luck with casting for my '94 Winchester in .30 WCF so now I'm wanting to cast for my Springfield 1911 in .45 auto.

My question is, with a hand gun such as a 1911, do I use the same basic load data for the same basic size and shape of boolit?

I'm used to loading with Berry's 230gr plated rn and now I'm going to cast 230gr rn microgroove. Can I use my same starting load data and just chrony it from there or do I need to start lower?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

williamwaco
06-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes.

Both.

You can use the same data but you should ALWAYS start lower.

mr surveyor
06-20-2014, 10:42 PM
What does this mean: "now I'm going to cast 230gr rn microgroove" ....?

just asking.

JD

littlejack
06-20-2014, 11:14 PM
That would be the LEE 230 grain round nose boolit that gets rolled around in the Lee Liquid Alox. The microgrooves around the
parameter of the boolit are to collect and hold the LLA.

DrCaveman
06-21-2014, 12:45 PM
I made the same switch when i began casting for my 1911...had been using berrys 230 plated, went to lee 230 rn tumble lube

Used the same start loads, had no problems. The exact load you settle on for perfect function and best accuracy will be different because of things like lubrication and seating depth. I ended up squeezing more velocity out of the lead boolit, but that was just me & my gun (STI spartan)

If you werent pushing the envelope with the berrys, you should be in fine shape. Your chosen cast boolit has a pretty popular profile for finding compatible load data. Again, just pay attention to seating depth because that will probably be the biggest variable. Oh, and alloy hardness may affect your final results

glassparman
06-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks again for the posts. I just can't afford to buy the Berry's bullets anymore so I gotta cast my own. I don't mind casting and have done so with my .30-30. I'm just used to starting lower with lead in a bottlenecked case.

I loaded up a few and will hit the range with my Chrony this weekend.

Everyone have a safe weekend.

Michael

toolz568
06-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Please post the load and results. I tried casting for my 1911 and had better luck with throwing rocks at the target than shooting. My best results are from jacketed, so I started swaging.