PDA

View Full Version : Commercial aluminum cookware

konsole
06-20-2014, 12:23 PM
From research this is apparently what Calphalon used to be called. I know aluminum isnt smart to use as a lead melting pot and I'm not going to try using this unless other people can verify that they have used it safely. Browsing the local donation store I found this 1 qt. aluminum pot, and its made by Commercial Aluminum Cookware (currently Calphalon). I debated even picking it up but it was only $5 and I knew I could return it easily. What wanted me to give this pot a chance is that it seems to be so well built. The handle is "cast iron" sturdiness (probably made of steel), its got a nice lid to it, and the pot itself is rather thick and solid. The sides of the pot measure almost 1/4" thick but I can't tell how thick the base of the pot is, but its probably atleast 1/4" thick also. When I first saw it it looked cast iron to me, and to find out it was made by an aluminum company shocked me. From what I have seen on ebay people are listing this pot as "hard anodized aluminum". Being 1 qt. means I would have about 20 lbs. of lead in it at most, and it would only be used on a coleman 2 burner white gas stove.

I'm sure the answers are either going to be "definately don't use it", or "its just not worth risking", but I really wanted to give this pot a chance.

The bottom of the pot can be seen in the picture
The lid says almost the same thing but has the number "305" instead

http://s28.postimg.org/hdenv0l65/DSCF0810.jpg
http://s29.postimg.org/xy91zr15z/DSCF0812.jpg

Idz
06-20-2014, 12:40 PM
It looks like a waste of a nice cooking pot. You could probably trade somebody for a steel pot. How are you heating this? Aluminum is ok at molten lead temperature but if you overheat it like on a gas stove it loses strength fast and you have a mess. For a 1 quart size on a hot plate I don't see a problem but test it in a safe place. If this is your casting pot I think a thermostatically controlled electric pot is a much better choice.

threewheels
06-20-2014, 12:55 PM
I would be concerned about the aluminum rivits holding the handle on being strong enough for moving the pot around with it being full of lead. A accident waiting to happen

Jailer
06-20-2014, 12:58 PM
That's a nice pot for cooking. I'd keep it and use it and find something else to melt lead in.

RogerDat
06-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Pretty looking pot. Sure to delight any housewife. Could have bought used heavy stainless pot for about same price. Or used cast iron at a yard sale for not much more.
I guess there is no harm to anyone else if it does not work out. Unlike making bullets or shooting them where experimentation without experience and knowledge could injure someone else.

Good point on the rivets, steel pots use steel rivets, aluminum pots use aluminum rivets. Chain only as strong as it's weakest link and those rivets are probably the weakest link in that pot. A pot will not generally be at a temperature greater than the liquid inside. Most pots need to withstand nothing hotter than boiling water at 1/3 the temp. of molten lead. As mentioned in prev. post spot temp. at burner may be higher than over all temperature but overall the rivets will be around 700 degrees. Trivial for steel but not so trivial for aluminum.

You know what they say different is good.... unless it don't work. Don't see many delta parachutes, steered great but tended to not open properly. People learned and spread the knowledge.

montana_charlie
06-20-2014, 01:38 PM
You've heard the warnings, otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

I have a 'heavy' aluminum pot, but the walls are not as thick as yours.
It has a two-quart capacity, but I never put more than 21 pounds in it.
I heat it on a propane burner, and I use it for making 20-1 alloy in 21-pound batches.

When the alloy is ready to pour, I lift the pot with channel-lock pliers on the rim/wall, and guide the pour by using the riveted handle. I have enough 'ingot moulding capacity' to empty the pot in a single pour.

As an adult free American it's up to you to decide if you are in control of the possibilities ...

CM

ssnow
06-20-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm sure the answers are either going to be "definately don't use it", or "its just not worth risking", but I really wanted to give this pot a chance.

You know the right answer. But, if you look long enough, you can find someone who will give you the one you want to hear. But it won't be me :)

Look, here's the deal. Some guys do get by with an aluminum pot for awhile. Since it works, they do not see it as a problem and it's not, until it is. When it becomes a problem, it has the potential to be a very big problem. If they are injured, the costs can easily be more than what they would save in a lifetime of hobby casting.

We each have to make our own risk assessments, and proceed as we feel best. My advice, get a steel pot and avoid a potentially costly and painful mistake. No point in risking anything, considering the price of a pot.

lwknight
06-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Its like riding a motorcycle in that its not a matter of "if you go down" but rather a fact of " when you go down" . Sooner or later you will melt the aluminum pot. Just a fact.

Save it for cooking bacon and eggs.

bangerjim
06-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Danger Will Robinson.....Danger!

Avoid Al cookware. Strength of Al goes down dramatically at elevated temps you may see over a smelting flame. And then there those pesky rivits as mentioned above.

Leave those Al pots to the cook. Use CI or Steel.

bangerjim

62chevy
06-20-2014, 06:35 PM
To answer your question FortuneCookie45LC is using one like yours as a test but he does not recommend aluminum pans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPdRkaU_oFg

http://youtu.be/rPdRkaU_oFg

imashooter2
06-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Aluminum is safe for melting lead right up until it isn't. Failure can be catastrophic and leave you standing in a puddle of molten metal.

You're an adult, gamble if you want. But for me, it's not the odds, it's the stakes.

konsole
06-20-2014, 06:54 PM
I bought that aluminum pot plus a stainless steel pot together when I was at the store, in case the aluminum pot wasnt going to work and so I could melt today without having to return the aluminum pot right away. I went ahead and melted almost 100 pounds in the stainless steel pot today so I'll see if we have a use in the kitchen for that aluminum pot or just bring it back to the store.

Hickory
06-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Aluminum pots will disqualify themselves with use.

imashooter2
06-20-2014, 09:14 PM
I bought that aluminum pot plus a stainless steel pot together when I was at the store, in case the aluminum pot wasnt going to work and so I could melt today without having to return the aluminum pot right away. I went ahead and melted almost 100 pounds in the stainless steel pot today so I'll see if we have a use in the kitchen for that aluminum pot or just bring it back to the store.

That thick aluminum will be great in the kitchen. Fantastic heat distribution. I certainly wouldn't take it back for $5.

konsole
06-21-2014, 10:40 AM
ya I gave it to my parents. They were skeptical of using it at first because they use all stainless pots and pans for cooking, but they kept it.

imashooter2
06-21-2014, 11:28 AM
If they are using typical home grade stainless pans, that new pot will soon be their favorite.

MrWolf
06-21-2014, 11:38 AM
I highly recommend using a cutoff propane tank. Not hard to do with a monkey wrench, dead blow hammer and sawzall. Picked up my tanks for free at local garden/hardware that refills propane tanks. Find one with a solid bottom. Look for you tube videos on what do to or pm me and I will walk you through what I did for my tanks. I have made three of them so far. Wire wheel cleanup a breeze after I smelted roofing flashing with that damn tar.

MaryB
06-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Tell them to boil potatoes in that aluminum pot, they will never go back to stainless

NewbieDave007
06-22-2014, 01:57 AM
I've personally had a AL pot fail with a large quantity of range scrap in it. I will NEVER use a aluminum pot for smelting again. There was no warning and then you have molten lead pouring on you heat source. Definitely not one of my smarter moments.