PDA

View Full Version : PB Pat Marlin Gas Check Maker

buckwheatpaul
06-20-2014, 09:08 AM
I have never made one gas check....only bought and used....now I am kind of interested in the PB Check Maker that Pat Marlin makes so I could use it on my old Lyman 429421 mould and possibly a new NOE PB Ranch Dog mold.....my question is how does it work.....ie, do I have to slightly undersize the bullet so that the pb gas check will work....or do I use a thinner metal to make the check....went to his site and could not quite figure it out.....I appreciate your help.....Paul

BK7saum
06-20-2014, 10:09 AM
A thinner check material is used, maybe 0.006" or so. The check disc is punched in one step and the cup formed in another step. The cup should me a snug fit onto the plain base boolit. The check is squeezed and formed into the boolit during sizing.

Sizing dies may need to be polished or the sides of the check may shear during sizing.

Beagle333
06-20-2014, 10:13 AM
The PB check will swage onto your boolit when it goes through the sizing die. You do not have to cast smaller to "leave room" for it. :cool:

Here is how mine look:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236906-First-time-with-Pat-Marlin-s-PB-checkmaker-and-thicker-Al

captaint
06-20-2014, 10:19 AM
I have traded, etc for some (lots) of PB gas checks. They are made of soda cans, whatever thickness that is. On my 9mm boolits, after sizing and lubing in the Star, I just place the check on the base and run the boolit, upside down, through the sizing die and avoid the bottom of the stroke, where the lube gets pumped out. Irons out the checks nicely and they work great !! Mike