PDA

View Full Version : 1898 Krag action wrench?

webradbury
06-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Are there any Krag action/receiver wrenches available? Or is there a gunsmith's trick I could use? I have to tighten a new barrel on an action about 1/8th turn. This is my first barrel install.

I know there is a guy on ebay that sells them for $160 but I read elsewhere they didn't work very well. How was it done originally?

Frank46
06-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Buckshot who is one of the members here did an action wrench for the Krag some years back. Try a search either "krag action wrench" or search Buckshots posts and see what comes up. Frank

madsenshooter
06-20-2014, 01:17 PM
I have one off ebay, works ok if you get it on there tight enough. After I bought it I realized I could have made it myself if I had the right tools. A couple of good quality strap wrenches, or one and a vise, might give you enough leverage at less cost.

Mk42gunner
06-20-2014, 05:59 PM
I ruined a 1909 Argentine action when a strap wrench twisted and gave way. Expensive lesson to use the right tool.

Looking at my 1899 Krag, I think an action conforming box end wrench would be best, instead of one that clamps with bolts. Roy Dunlap shows several examples in his book "Gunsmithing", alas he doesn't show one for a Krag, but they should be simple enough to make.

Good Luck,

Robert