PDA

View Full Version : A question for Encore owners

Marlin Junky
01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm considering an Encore and would like to know how positive its extraction system is on rimless cases. Does the extractor mate well with the extraction groove? Does the extractor drag on the case when loading and unloading? Does the extractor move up into the extraction groove while the action is opening and down out of the groove when the action is being closed? Pictures would help. Unfortunately, I don't know a single shooter at my range with an Encore... lots of Contenders, but no Encores. I actually owned a Contender years ago but never payed much attention to the extractor because I only had a 30-30 and .30 Herrett barrel.

Thank you,
MJ

lathesmith
01-19-2008, 05:09 PM
MJ, the Encore uses the same technique for extraction of rimless cases as most other single shots out there--a spring-loaded extractor. In fairness, many people have used these with no problems, and seem satisfied with them. Personally, I do not like rimless cartridges for an Encore or Contender-style single shot; and for the H&R even less so. I hate fighting that spring-loaded extractor, especially in cold weather with gloves. I stick with rimmed cases, and am happy with the results. You might dig through the archives here, I made a post here in the single shot forum several weeks ago in which I showed my "perfect" Encore cartridge--the rimmed 7mm-08. I simply took a standard 7mm-08 barrel, chucked it in my lathe, and cut a rim for using 307 Winchester brass necked to 7mm. I am quite satisfied with the results. I am planning to do the same with a 358 Winchester barrel later on, for my "big bore" rimmed thumper cartridge in the Encore. Now, if only T/C made 358 barrels in Stainless, it would be perfect! Ah, one can dream...
lathesmith

Rafe Covington
01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I have 14 encore barrels, 12 are of the rimless kind. I have never had a problem using rimless cases. Every site that involves discussion about TC's has the same discussion. Some people like rimmed cases and some do just fine with rimless cases. I personally think it an answer for a problem that doesn't exist. Just my 2 cents worth.:drinks:

C A Plater
01-20-2008, 02:16 PM
The only problem I ever had with extraction in an Encore was with belted magnum cases. Getting the spring just right so it would not hang up on the belt or slip over the head proved near impossible. I got tired of having to carefully insert the 7mm Magnum rounds in the chamber so I sold off the barrel. Regular rimless always worked well so I stick with normal rimmed and rimless in T/Cs.

canuck4570
01-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Just bought a Katahdin in 500 sw....from the beginning I had extraction problem....
the extractor came out but leavind the shell in... and when loading the cartridge just past by the exrator....
contacted TC and they are sending me a knew extractor. will give you some knews on that......
reading this thread it seems that there is a spring under the extractor .... well my gun does not.... may be this is the problem...
some one could teld me is there should be a spring.... thank you....

lathesmith
01-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Rimless cartridges use a spring, but rimmed cartridges should NOT require a spring-loaded extractor. I have a 460 S&W barrel, which should be very similar to your 500, and it definitely does NOT have a spring under the extractor. You have either an extractor groove that is not cut properly, or an extractor that has too much bottom clearance.
C A has it right, those belted mags are a real PITA in these single shot guns. I would avoid them, personally. The main thing I hate about the spring-loaded rimless extractors is they tend to scratch the brass on loading and unloading. This is really a minor issue though, and is probably more of a personal problem than anything. Reliability in the Encore has never been an issue, rimmed or rimmless. My H&R single shots are a different story--rimless have given me a few extraction problems, and you have to be careful how you load them.
lathesmith

canuck4570
01-20-2008, 08:31 PM
will give them a call tomorrow to know...
you are right there is a lot of play under the extractor and I put a shime of paper of about .013 to .015 under and no more problem
the rim on the 500 sw is very very little over case diamater that is why I am wandering if they forgot to put the spring.... has I said will give them a call and give some news on this.....

Marlin Junky
01-20-2008, 09:55 PM
The main thing I hate about the spring-loaded rimless extractors is they tend to scratch the brass on loading and unloading. This is really a minor issue though, and is probably more of a personal problem than anything.

lathesmith,

What I did for my H-R in .35 Whelen was super-glue 1000 or 1500 grit paper (can't remember which) around a case head and turn the case by hand while it was backed out of the chamber somewhat to polish the top of the extractor. Now the cases don't come out with scratches on them.

BTW, thanks for your input.

MJ

canuck4570
02-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Just bought a Katahdin in 500 sw....from the beginning I had extraction problem....
the extractor came out but leavind the shell in... and when loading the cartridge just past by the exrator....
contacted TC and they are sending me a knew extractor. will give you some knews on that......
reading this thread it seems that there is a spring under the extractor .... well my gun does not.... may be this is the problem...
some one could teld me is there should be a spring.... thank you....
TC sent me a spring for my katahdin in 500 sw and no more problem... somehow the rifle was shiped without a spring under the extractor.... good service and they also sent me a knew and higher front singt for it because it shot about 3 feet high at 100 yard....