PDA

View Full Version : What Mauser did I buy??

RustyReel
06-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Bought a sporterized Mauser rifle on line. Seller did not identify it's origin. I noticed the circle z on the bolt knob in one of the pictures and assumed it was a VZ24 but after receiving it I doubtful. No markings on the side of the receiver and no markings on the receiver ring, but these could have been scrubbed. There is a circle Z on the bolt handle knob as well as the action and the barrel, but it doesn't look like the Z I have seen in pictures of VZ24 rifles. Barrel is marked 8mm near the muzzle and has obviously been polished/blued over. Has a number of other marking, mostly on the breech end of the barrel, I can't identify. Any help will be appreciated. Hope the pics come out useable...anyone know what the crossed out serial number means??

captaint
06-18-2014, 03:44 PM
I'd make it a Chech VZ of some sort. Looks like a large ring receiver, so it's not a VZ33. Can't tell by the writing on the bottom who it was made for. Kinda looks like some sort of Cyrillic (Sp) ??

lylejb
06-18-2014, 05:20 PM
have you removed the scope base to see if any markings are under there?

RustyReel
06-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Yes, as noted, nothing there.....but it could have been scrubbed.....

UBER7MM
06-19-2014, 01:00 AM
The "Circle Z" is definitely Czech. But which model? VZ-22 and VZ-24 have standard length actions. The 16/33 is a short (intermediary) length action in a carbine form. WWII occupied Czechoslovakia cranked out many Mausers with various designations. Between the wars, the Czechs were exporting rifles all over the world. Lots in China, South America and the middle East, (Persia). This might be an involved research. Find out what kind of writing is in the last photo. That looks to be a big clue.