PDA

View Full Version : IMR 7383 and the .338 Lapua

Patricklaw
06-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Last week client/friend called to invite me to lunch "and by the way, can we swing by to pick up the guns I talked to you last week about taking in trade for my business?" Oh ya, one more thing, can they live in your gunsafe? You can shoot them as much as you want. Hmmm, let me think (for about a millisecond). Sure why not! I am now the proud possessor of, among other, things a Savage 110BA in .338 Lapua.

A trip to the range showed me that the scope mounts needed some work but we shot a box of $6 per trigger pull S&B J-word factory ammo anyway. Today I find myself the happy recipient of new RCBS dies and a box of 100, 200 grain Hornady J-word's. Thanks to our good friend Jeff at gibrass.com I have gallons of 7383. I am totally comfortable working up a load using the method Jeff suggests and the methods discussed on our sister site castpics, but...... does anyone have some data they'd share?

I already cast, mostly using Lee equipment, pistol 9mm-45 Colt and rifle 22-30 cal. Mold wise, I'm thinking the C338-220-1R since that's all Lee offers. A Lee push through sizer and gas checks from one of our suppliers here.

Anyone have any thought? Advice? Cautions?

TXGunNut
06-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Have you checked the Accurate and NOE sites for their offerings? I don't know what the twist rate is in your Savage but I'm thinking a heavier boolit is called for. Been seeing 7828 quite often around here during this powder "shortage" and have envied the 338 Lapua owners.

brtelec
06-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Once the H1000 and the Retumbo dried up I switched to Hogdon US 869. Great results in my 338 LM. Readily available.

Patricklaw
06-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Have you checked the Accurate and NOE sites for their offerings? I don't know what the twist rate is in your Savage but I'm thinking a heavier boolit is called for. Been seeing 7828 quite often around here during this powder "shortage" and have envied the 338 Lapua owners.

That is a great thought! NOE appears to have some great offerings. I'm going to hold on to the thought of using 7383. I've been pleased with my small attempts in other calibers and I have so much of it. I may try 4831 as well. It will be a fun project. I'll post data when I have some.

pacomdiver
06-20-2014, 07:11 PM
lots of guys over on sniperhide have have problems with the 338ba savage, they call them a stuckvage, as the fired cases get stuck in the chamber. don't remember savages eventual blame but many ones were sent back to get fixed

also do watch out for the accujunk trigger too, the trigger setscrew loosens up and eventually will set the rifle off just closing the bolt. I was sitting next to a 300 mag savage ba when it went off when the guy closed the bolt (factory ammo). it blew the extractor out of the bolt and fire etched a ring in the boltface. my cousins 308 also loosened up and started making a small round mark on the brass and he caught it before it started cooking them off.
he swapped the trigger out for a savageshootersupply trigger

ive never tried anything that light in my rem 700 pss lapua, I ran 250 and 300 scenars and tried 285 hornadys, but I lucked out in a load runup and the 300s are so much more accurate than the lighter bullets I tried, lets just say I didn't bother testing anymore. this is my standard load now, only shot it out to 800 yards, but its still submoa (6" steel plate) in lapua stamp brass and fed210m primers

madsenshooter
06-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Read up a bunch on 7383, you'll want the hottest primer you can find, that much I know.

supersniper
06-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Twist rate on Savage 110BA is 1:9"

Friends 110BA has also experienced stuck cases with the PPU brass. It's like a muzzle loader only just to knock out the spent brass. :(

Now switching over to Lapua brass to see if it makes a difference.

Loudenboomer
06-21-2014, 08:52 PM
I have a 110 BA. Never had a stuck case. I use Norma Brass. My rifle likes WCC 860 powder and 225 gr BT bullets.
Load up to .002 case head expansion THEN QUIT! My rifle likes 103 gr. with the above combo your mileage will very.
Kevin

Patricklaw
08-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Twist rate on Savage 110BA is 1:9"

Friends 110BA has also experienced stuck cases with the PPU brass. It's like a muzzle loader only just to knock out the spent brass. :(

Now switching over to Lapua brass to see if it makes a difference.

Funny you should mention a stuck case. I had one. Factory loads of course. It was the extractor. It had gotten dirty and had stuck so that it would not engage the case rim. I took it apart and cleaned it and it's fine though I'm surprised how small it actually is compared to say a Mauser.

exhunter223
02-18-2015, 11:14 PM
I went out today and loaded up some IMR 7383 for my savage 111 in .338 lapua.
I started out with 70 gr. , 75 gr, 80 gr.
Using a 225 gr. bullet.
The 70gr. seemed light.
75 gr. good and the 80 gr was great.
There was no signs of over pressuring what so ever. I think I am going to just load 75 grs for now.
I was shooting at a rock target at 400 yards with the 75 gr loads with more than enough smacking power then I will ever need.

Patricklaw
03-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Exhunter, my log says that I settled on 77 grains with a Hornady 200 grain bullet. That wasn't my ideal choice for bullet but it was all that was to be had at the local Sportsman's last summer when I went looking. I saw no pressure signs so I'll likely bump it up the next time I fill up my small supply of cases.

I just haven't talked myself into a mold and sizer yet. I'm just not getting it or any of my other toys to the range enough.