PDA

View Full Version : plinking load for the mosin

quickshot
01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I read somewhere about a light plinking load for the 54r using Bullseye and a 90gr swc or something like that but can't remember where I saw it. Does this ring a bell with anyone or is this a product of my imagination? I wonder how well a lee TL boolit would work with a conventional lube? Any thoughts guys?

dromia
01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Ed Harris's article on cast bullets in military rifles in the sticky above?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13425

RU shooter
01-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I believe that Larry Gibson talks alot about shooting that 90 gr SWC and a small amount of bullseye. My favorite plinker isnt that light but really good accuracy Lee 155 no gc and 5-6 grs of Bullseye

Maineboy
01-17-2008, 08:13 PM
I've never shot anything that light in my 30 caliber rifles but 6.4 grains of Unique behind the lyman 311008 is a nice load in my Mosins. It will put 5 shots into 1 1/2 - 2 inches at 50 yards with little noise and almost no recoil. The same charge behind the Lee soup can shoots just as well, but you then have that expensive gas check.

Ricochet
01-17-2008, 08:16 PM
The Soup Can has so much bearing surface, I'll bet it'd shoot OK without the check in these very light rifle loads. I do plan to try that, having some sized and lubed with no checks. I use 'em that way in my 7.62 Nagant revolvers.

The .30 Tumble Lube Plinker group buy boolit from about 5 years ago is a good one. Someone might want to re-run that one.

Larry Gibson
01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Guess I'll 'fess up, 'twas me.

If you are just going to single feed the rounds into the chamber try this; With a well fire formed case (I like to use those cases the are showing signs of incipient head seperation - with these light loads I've not seperated a case head with these and have got lots of firings with them over the years) with the case mouth camfered I mereley deprime, reprime (most often use WLRs or what ever LPs or LRs are left in odd lots), wipe the outside of the neck off with a paper towel and drop 3.2 gr of Bullseye into the case. No filler or wad is used. A Hornady swaged .314 lead SWC or a Lee TL314-90-SWC (Lightly tumble lubed in LLA) is thumb pushed into the neck. Most often the unsized necks of fired 7.62x54R cases allow this. Load into rifle and shoot. That simple! will give 800-900 fps depending on barrel and very good accuracy. No recoil and more fun than should be allowed. Great for plinking or small game.

If you have to size then NSing is prefered. I use a modified Redding Bushing die so I can minimally size the necks to .002 tension on the bullets. That way I can load the magazine and they feed fine. A really great fun load. This bullet and 2.7 -3.2 gr of Bullseye works in .30/.31 cal rifles from 7.62x32 on up through '06 in case capacity. Would probably work as well in the .30 magnums but I've not tried them so can't say.

Larry Gibson

trooperdan
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Guess I'll 'fess up, 'twas me.

This bullet and 2.7 -32. gr of Bullseye works in .30/.31 cal rifles from 7.62x32 on up through '06 in case capacity. Would probably work as well in the .30 magnums but I've not tried them so can't say.

Larry Gibson

Larry, I know you know it; might want to change the decimal in the sentence above! I'm sure you meant 2.7 to 3.2 grains of Bullseye.

Larry Gibson
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Trooperdan

Ooops!!! Changed it. Thanks.....my definate bad.

Larry Gibson