PDA

View Full Version : First lead collecting venture.

boho
06-17-2014, 06:12 PM
I ventured out into the local area today doing my 1st search for WW. The first shop I hit I got 6# of COWW & 22# of SOWW for 2 kids meals for the owners grandkids. Second shop I hit only had 5# of COWW they gave me free, but told me to come back in a month for some, they just sold them at the scrapyard. I offered them .25 a pound and I can sort them. Third shop said not now and wasn't friendly about it. 4th shop let me sort out 16# of COWW for .35 a #. My last stop was the scrapyard these guys sell to and I cleaned them out for .45 a#. To sum it up I got 61# of COWW and 22# of SOWW no zinc! I just bought some pots from doc stihl and will start my first ingots soon.

500MAG
06-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a mining adventure.

ssnow
06-17-2014, 06:22 PM
And so it begins :)

Break out the phone book and check the listings. Every place that sells new tires, pay them a visit. Don't overlook the small shops, timing is important there, but you never know until you try.

MrWolf
06-17-2014, 06:24 PM
I have found the mom and pop places were willing to at least talk versus the tire chain stores.

boho
06-17-2014, 06:26 PM
All these shops are mom n pop out here in the small towns.

RogerDat
06-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Off to a good start (or a new bad habit) Sometimes you get a lot or something good at the scrap yard like pewter or solder and sometimes not so much. Reminds me of why the call it going fishing rather than catching. As long as you can get them faster than you use them it's all good.

Just a tip, you can stack 3/4 full 5 gal. buckets about three high nested inside each other. Might as well start figuring out where you can line those suckers up at because it's only a matter of time once you catch the fever.

lightman
06-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it does sound like you are off to a good start.

bangerjim
06-18-2014, 12:40 AM
It's a beginning. But remember to factor your time, gasoline, vehicle wear & tear and those "gifts" to the cost of the raw WW's (about a 60-70% yield). And the propane or fuel to melt them.

I have forgotten about WW's and buy alloys to mix all my boolit lead. Much easier, cleaner and in the long run, actually cheaper.

Welcome aboard.

bangerjim