PDA

View Full Version : BHA model 89 500 S&W test firing

krems
06-17-2014, 09:25 AM
I finally got around to test firing the BHA model 89 carbine 500 S&W. I lathe bored my own bullet mould for this rifle. The RNFP bullet drops right at 423 grains (at .5025") cast with Lyman #2 alloy. Fully lubed and gas checked weight comes in 437 grains. Using new Starline brass I loaded up a few rounds using IMR 4756 powder and CCI large pistol primers ( brass is made for LR primers) . Not having any loading data for 4756 powder I proceeded with caution and loaded up a few rounds to fire over the chronograph. The crony results surprised me. The shot to shot spread and standard deviation were the lowest of any rifle / handgun I have ever shot. Not even my black powder target rifles have showed such consistent readings. Now I usually shoot a string of ten rounds over the crony but I only shot strings of 7 because that is what the carbine can hold and I didn't want to throw a bunch of rounds away if I encountered any pressure signs. I was looking for around 1300 - 1400 fps for this carbine. I started at 14 grains IMR 4756 and went up to 17 grains IMR 4756 for the first trial. All loads are with CCI 300 LP primers. Here are a couple of loads:
15 GR. 4756 1186 fps. ES 15 SD 6
17 GR. 4756. 1294 fps. Es 10. SD 3
No pressure signs evident yet. I will work up to 18 grains on the next trip to the range. I wasn't shooting for accuracy. So the real test will be if they can group. I forgot to take photos so I didn't have any pictures to add of the bullet and rifle. I will remember one of these days. I really like the shape of the forearm and stock. The rifle handles the recoil really well. Feeding was flawless and ejection was fine as long as I worked the lever hard instead of being gentle. The brass bead front - rear peep sights are great for what they are intended for but not great for target shooting. I am not expecting to shoot tiny groups at 100 yards as my aging eyes don't see like they used too. To be continued

Krems

Tatume
06-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Hi Krems,

Thanks for the report; I'll look forward to the continuation. That's a very interesting carbine. The more I learn about it the more interested I become.

Take care, Tom

C. Latch
06-17-2014, 10:59 AM
I can't wait to see pictures.

I wonder if they'll ever make this in a smaller cartridge? The .500 is awesome, but grossly overkill for anything I'd ever do with a levergun.

(That may or may not be the 'sour grapes' talk of someone who's a bit jealous that you have such a gorgeous rifle....:) )

krems
06-17-2014, 01:42 PM
I promised myself that when I turned 50 that I was going to get a 50 cal lever gun. I was all set to send a Marlin 1895 off to someone and have a 50 Alaskan built. I backed out after seeing the BHA model 89 rifles. Besides... I like good wood on a lever gun and just didn't care for the wood on the Marlins. I have often asked myself why I need a 50 cal. lever gun. I always come to the same conclusion.....need has nothing to do with it... I just wanted one. I really like the smaller case as compared to the 50 Alaskan. I'm not into punishment so most of the shooting will be with mid range loads and cast boolits. They ring the gong with authority, kick up a lot of dust , and leave large holes in the paper that I can see. If I had a choice I would have bought a 50 cal lever gun in 500 Linebaugh but I have never seen one. I'm thinking that this rifle will drop an elk or black bear this fall.