PDA

View Full Version : 41 Mag Brass Life

gtgeorge
06-17-2014, 07:33 AM
I just added a 41 Mag to the stable Friday in a 6 1/2 Ruger Blackhawk and the brass and dies showed up Saturday moments before I returned home from an IDPA match with my son. Very excited I loaded a few 5gr BE loads under 215gr LSWCHP boolits and shot them out back with with poor accuracy and shooting left and high. I reloaded those same 6 Starline brass 3 times each 2x with 5gr BE and then 5.5.

I then tried 17.5 2400 with better accuracy and even went out to shoot at 75 yards but sights were still way off. At 18gr the groups tightened up so I adjusted the sights and found one of the brass did not fall free on it's own and was split. So the brass was loaded 6x with 3x being low power loads. I since have loaded the other 5 2 more times with 18gr of 2400 with no trouble.

Anyhow this was 100x of Starline nickle plated brass and wondered if I can expect any kind of life out of it and trying to decide whether to get more or wait and buy it in brass only.

If I can find the time today a will set up the chrony and even try some 75 and 100 yard shots. I am looking forward to using it this hunting season to add some meat to the freezer in place of the .357 and 45 acp I have used up to this point.

Guesser
06-17-2014, 08:02 AM
I can't remember ever having a 41 Magnum case split. I have about every head stamp ever and use the same variety of powders you've listed. I fire mine in Taurus, Ruger, Smiff, T/C, and Marlin. Still gottem all after more than 20 years. I loose one from time to time; kinda like the missing sock in the washer/dryer.

Tatume
06-17-2014, 08:20 AM
I've read for decades that nickel plated cases tend to have a short life. Splitting is the most common failure mode. I've never had a 41 Rem Mag case fail except for neck splits after many size/crimp cycles.

osteodoc08
06-17-2014, 08:24 AM
I bought some starline nickle 41 mag brass and had issues with them splitting. Sent them an email and they responded they do crack more if overworked with belling and crimping. Had maybe 15% split early. Others going strong. I've only had a few brass ones split.

Par at for the course I guess with nickle. I don't buy nickle anymore.

HATCH
06-17-2014, 08:30 AM
I haven't had any issues with plain brass. Nickle on the other hand does crack after a few loadings even running wimpy loads (8.5 unique)

BK7saum
06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
+1

Nickle plated brass tends to be somewhat brittle and some might split with only a few load cycles.

Doc_Stihl
06-17-2014, 08:44 AM
On nickel brass, the less you work it, the long it will live. If you put a huge bell on it to seat the bullet, it won't last long. 41, like 44 and 357, will last a long time when not over worked.

gtgeorge
06-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks all, I will likely look for brass now. I didn't want to order nickel but all they had and I haven't found brass at a price that is inline. I have loaded the other 5 +the new one a few more times without trouble so far 2x power loads and 2 x target loads. I guess the one was a fluke so far and I just belly the neck enough to start the bullet trying to extend the brass life since I only got a hundred to start.

I already see I will be shooting this a lot at least until the newness wears off.

Art in Colorado
06-18-2014, 08:24 PM
I have been reloading 41 Mag for 24 plus years with mostly 9 Grains of Unique or 12 Grains of Blue Dot (No never had trouble with this powder) and 210 Grain Cast. All have been shot in S&W or Freedom Arms revolvers . Never had one split after countless loadings. Also, all with the same RCBS dies.

kweidner
06-19-2014, 06:39 AM
I too prefer brass. Learned about nickel 20 some odd years ago loading .308. They are easier to clean but last half as long IMHO. Only .41 I ever have give up are split necks and after ?????? firings. I try and keep velocity just under supersonic and they last forever as long as you don't bell and crimp too much. My .357 PD will move boolits under tough recoil unless I use a very firm crimp. I prefer to save brass more than kill paper "deader". I use moderate unique rounds for the SW and 2400 for full tilt in my DW. I hunt with my Dan. I have had the same brass for years and only chunked one or two for necks. I catch em as they come around in the 550.

**oneshot**
06-19-2014, 07:35 AM
I use brass cases. I lost count of the reloadings on my 41 brass.

44man
06-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Yes, nickle will crack faster but I have some used so much the tumbler has worn away a lot of the nickle.
Most cracked case I get are on the first firing or shortly after, I have been shooting the .44 with brass loaded about 42 times.

gtgeorge
06-19-2014, 08:30 AM
I feel a whole lot better after reading the replies here and continuing to run the same cases over and over without another failure. Apparently I found a weak case right off the bat in the batch and have more confidence in the rest. I am not much for buying new brass at current pricing and if I do I would buy brass instead but seems very rare to find at this time unless willing to pay premium pricing.

Anyhow I am a happy 41 mag owner and can't wait for hunting season to start.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Lance Boyle
06-24-2014, 11:32 AM
I bought some starline nickle 41 mag brass and had issues with them splitting. Sent them an email and they responded they do crack more if overworked with belling and crimping. Had maybe 15% split early. Others going strong. I've only had a few brass ones split.

Par at for the course I guess with nickle. I don't buy nickle anymore.

I have to concur nearly exactly with osteodoc.

Years ago i read an explanation that it was the pickling process the plain brass goes through before being plated. They get an acid dip to etch the surface for the plating to stick to. The time in the pickling solution and brass alloy are the variables.

I too avoid nickle if possible. Not only the neck splits but also brand new ones tend to squawk noisily in my dies. Mostly due to the lip of plating hanging over inside the neck.

Groo
06-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Groo here
I use nickle in SD,hunting, in belt loops or those places where the shell must feed.
Don't make many at a time and brass for all others.
I usually lose a case before it will fail.
My new light [read police] load is 6gr of Trailboss under a short nose swc and a good crimp, fantastic!!!!!
41's tend to have tighter chambers as they are newer [1964] and work the brass less.

gtgeorge
06-25-2014, 12:51 PM
I am pleased with the rest I have used so far with no more failures yet and many loads on them. I have found that 5-6gr of BE with the 215gr LSWCHP works very nice for a target load and waiting to take it to a longer range to work with my upper end hunting loads over the next coming weeks. The full power loads are just too dang loud for the neighbors. Thanks for all the feedback that gave me enough confidence to order more of the same until I can get some brass ones.

osteodoc08
06-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Glad it's working out for you. The 41 is my all time favorite revolver cartridges. The other two being 38/357 and 45 Colt.

Art in Colorado
06-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Up date on the info I posted on life of 41 Mag brass. I split 6 cases last week. Of course this can happen if you shoot them in a 44 Mag Mountain Gun.

osteodoc08
06-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Up date on the info I posted on life of 41 Mag brass. I split 6 cases last week. Of course this can happen if you shoot them in a 44 Mag Mountain Gun.

Whoops.

Youre re not the first person to do that though. I've never done it personally but I've seen it firsthand

Tom Herman
06-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Art, I just had to laugh! I've done the same things with .44 SPL in my .45 Long Colts! No splits, but dang! It sure fire formed the brass. Fortunately, I haven't done this in a while.