PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4 turret/classic cast and RCBS dies clearance problems

wbrco
06-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Has anybody tried putting a set of RCBS full length dies in a 4 hole turret for a Lee press?

It seems that the locking ring(s)

A) don't have clearance between them and the washer that goes underneath the primer feed.

and

B) are so large that they interfere with each other so you can't place them in holes right next to each other.

The simple fix for A is taking a file to that spacer/washer since it seems to need only about 0.05" for clearance, and I think it's aluminum, so super easy to file.

My problem is B - Short of buying Lee lock nuts is there any other simple solution? I have a friend with a lathe, but that seems like over kill for a couple of locking rings.

Can I use a 3 hole turret in a classic cast instead of the 4 holes?

454PB
06-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Yes, you can use the 3 hole turret in the Lee Classic Turret, but you'll need the upper portion from a 3 hole Lee press.

When I bought my Lee Classic Turret, I owned two of the older Aluminum 3 hole Lee presses and had about 10 sets of dies already mounted in 3 hole turrets. Rather than buy 10 of the 4 hole turrets, I robbed the upper portion from one of the 3 holers and swapped it onto the new press. Takes all of 5 minutes and is easily reversible.

As to lock ring clearance, I think the easiest way would be swapping out the RCBS rings for Lee rings. I have no problem getting 3 RCBS dies in the 3 hole turret as long as there is not set screws protruding, but never tried the same with the 4 hole turret.

str8wal
06-17-2014, 09:19 AM
You need to get some of the older style hex rings. I had the same problem and traded locking rings with someone else.

dudel
06-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Dillon lock rings are the smallest I've seen. They work great are the least expensive thing Dillon sells!

hiram
06-19-2014, 12:37 AM
I turned the round locknuts down on a lathe.

Very easy. tighten the locknut on a die. Chuck up thed die and turn the ring down. If all you need is .005 of clearance, two opposing rings, each turn down .010 will give you ample clearance.

tazman
06-19-2014, 12:28 PM
I have the Lee classic cast 4 hole turret press and had clearance problems with the washer for the safety prime when using LEE dies. Go figure.
I just ground the edge off the washer till everything cleared.
Of course during the first setup when I found out about the clearance problem the little square ratchet washer got destroyed because the turret jammed.
Now I know why they included a second one with the press.

wbrco
06-19-2014, 02:47 PM
You would think they'd make a aluminum replacement. I think I just did the same thing.

gtgeorge
06-19-2014, 03:11 PM
I would think the cam is plastic/nylon to prevent damage when something is in a bind. I have a couple spares but nave yet to need to use one.

historicfirearms
06-19-2014, 09:38 PM
I just borrow some lock rings off from some of my Lee dies when I want to use another brand die on the turret.

Also had to file down the washer on the primer feed dealy to get some clearance.

Silverboolit
06-19-2014, 10:29 PM
I really do not care for the RCBS lock rings. The allen screw is always at the wrong place to tighten. I use only LEE rings and have been happy!!!!

David2011
06-19-2014, 11:15 PM
+1 for the Dillon 1" locking nuts. They also offer a kit with a 1" wrench.

David