PDA

View Full Version : Sizing problem with Linotype

johnho
01-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I know this stuff is hard but jeeze. I am trying to size the 311284 I got on the group buy on a Star with .310 die. The bullet casts exactly as stated at .312. I would not have thought this would be a problem but the first bullet with gas check had to be beat out of that die. When I finally did get it out I miced it to make sure it was really .310 and it was.

I smeared a bullet with lube before trying again and it did go through but not without some hellasious pushing. I"m thinking I maybe should size these right after I cast them. Any other comments or should I stick to regular alloy of my range scrap?

Thanks,
John

mtgrs737
01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I was having a problem with the bullets making a squeaking sound when I sized them on my Star sizer so I gave the unsized boolits a lite spritz of Dillon spray case lube and the problem was solved.

Bullshop
01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Unless you dont mind replacing the linkage on your press ocasionally you better think about presizing those hard boolits.
Using a Lee type die in your loading press is better atuned to sizing boolits once they have gotten hard.
Adds a step but works so much better.
BIC/BS

38 Super Auto
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
...you better think about presizing those hard boolits.
Using a Lee type die in your loading press is better atuned to sizing boolits once they have gotten hard.
Adds a step but works so much better.
BIC/BS

Bullshop, are talking about sizing to say .311, and then to .309 or .308?

Bullshop
01-17-2008, 04:37 PM
38 sa
No I was talking about what he was doing, sizing from .312" to .310". If you do have to go down more than a couple .000" better to go in stages. At 24 bhn even in a multi leverage loading press trying to size down several .000" in one pass may still be stressful.
BIC/BS

shotstring
01-17-2008, 04:42 PM
John, I have a couple of Stars, but I got an RCBS sizer to handle the heavy rifle stuff. That way, if anything breaks, its covered under warrantee.

johnho
01-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I need to rethink this linotype stuff for my rifle bullets or do this as with a different method.

John