PDA

View Full Version : I disappeared

Taylor
06-16-2014, 06:06 PM
......again...well I retired April 30,and don't owe no body a damn nickel! Been busy catching up on chores around the house.Visited family in Kentucky last week.The wife and I took our 3 y/o grand daughter,she witnessed me me kill a rattler with one shot."poor snake" was all she said.Headed to Rhode Island for a week to see the wife's family.Then on a camping trip and that should pretty much wind up the summer.Let's see if we can't add a pic or two.107956107957107958107959107954 We are also looking to move,I am happy with Kentucky,she wants Montana or Wyoming.It's cold out there.

Bonz
06-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Enjoy your retirement !

TheCelt
06-16-2014, 06:10 PM
CONGRATS!!!! Nice shooting too, ya blew that rattler's head "clean off"!!!!

captain-03
06-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Congratulations!! I am going to assume retirement from the USPS? I retired in Nov 2006 ... I noticed the retirement certificate as I have presented many of those in my 36 years .....

The grandkids can keep you very busy!!!!

Again, Congratulations!!

jeo22
06-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Congratulations to ya.

I retired in '09, finally found something I'm good at.,,,,,,,,,8-)

Taylor
06-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Yes,the postal service.The snake shot is a once in a life time shot,for me anyway.But it did happen one time before when I was about 15 or 16.From horseback no less.Let me tell you,just 'cause John Wayne can do it,don't mean everyone else can.Man, I didn't think I would ever get off that horse,and the barn had a low roof on the stall side.

Bought another pistol while at home.A Hy Hunter--Hollywood,Ca. .44 mag SSA.

runfiverun
06-17-2014, 09:10 AM
yeah it get's cold out here, it does make you enjoy the few nice day's you get even more though.
if you wanna feel better about cold, stop into north Dakota for a while, you'll find it's nice over this way.

Gar
06-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Congratulations on your retirement.
I retired the first of this year and find myself working harder now that before I retirement, gotta fix that!

Hickok
06-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Yep, timber rattler, we have 'em around here too. Good shooting! Congradulations, and that is a beautiful little grand daughter!

chboats
06-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Retirement is not all it's cracked-up to be. It's a lot better!
carl

DougGuy
06-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Good one on the retirement! Even better one on the granddaughter's comment about the snake, better than a "poor ________" any day of the week!

I keep seeing this sign on Facebook that says "People can say what they want to about the South, but nobody retires and moves up North." Makes ya think..

Bullshop Junior
06-17-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't care Kentucky. Montana is quite nice.

blackthorn
06-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Congratulations!! Have a long and happy retirement!! It took me four tries but I finally made it! Once in a while I think of going back to work but after a few minutes sanity prevails.

Larry Gibson
06-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Unless you are one of those who sits on a bar stool or a couch watching TV (don't figure you are) you will find your "retirement" short lived. Been in "retirement" a while now and don't know how I ever had time to work! Hope it's the same with you, enjoy.

Larry Gibson

Hardcast416taylor
06-17-2014, 04:48 PM
I retired for the last time as an industrial plumber back in `03, I started another full time job the next day....being a full time pain-in-the-A$$ to my Frau! Enjoy the small break in the work schedule while you can, your life will get busier that you can imagine now.Robert

Polecat
06-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Enjoy those grands cause the greatgrands come sooner than you expect. Happy retirement to you casting boolits.

Lance Boyle
06-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Congrats! Now your rat race is just a mouse race!

Grizzly Adams
06-17-2014, 09:20 PM
;-):lol:

41 mag fan
06-17-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm jealous...I wanna retire....

Taylor
06-18-2014, 07:48 AM
I picked Kentucky because I grew up in Harlan County.My family still lives there,but don't want to get too close.Property is fairly cheap--200 acres and a house for $120,000,we're looking into it now.Just need to to make sure coal rights are clear.

The wife say's she is working on a to-do list,and should be ready when she returns to work at the beginning of the school year.Today my chore is to fire up the forge and finish up some knife blanks and weed eat.Tomorrow we (me) cut grass.One of my plans was to make 2 or 3 trips to the range each week,so far that has been a no go.

I do want to spend as much time with Addison(granddaughter) as I can.Her father returns from oversea's in August and then they PCS to Ft. Belvoir. We plan to take her camping in July,she has a brand new pink rod and reel.She loves being outside.Addison is the only grandchild and "GaGa" has spoiled her rotten.BTW I'm "pop pops". 108111

Guesser
06-18-2014, 08:17 AM
Maybe retirees do move south; but there are a lot of us that retired to Montana, course I grew up here, just had to leave for a couple careers. Congratulations on retiring!!!!

Charlie Two Tracks
06-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Congratulations of retiring. I've been retired almost two years. After a few months, I forgot to put my watch on and now I only put it on for Church or going someplace special. It took a little getting used to but I highly recommend retirement. Have fun and those grandkids can wear a guy out pretty fast!

alrighty
06-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Congratulations on the retirement.I am sure you will be happy where ever you decide to live.I know I was highly impressed with the area around Hazard when I was there.I elk hunted on some of the mountain top removal coal land and I was impressed with the quantity and quality of the wildlife encountered.

robertbank
06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
It isn't all it is cracked up to be. You never get a day off and the week-ends, well same old, same old, fishing, shooting, reloading, casting,visiting the kids,.......:razz:

Enjoy a long and healthy one

Bob

bear67
06-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Retirement is a full time job, just without the paycheck. Thank God I saved and invested earlier in life. hope your retirement is everything you hoped and planned for.

Finster101
06-18-2014, 03:42 PM
It is pretty country over around Harlan. Been there once or twice. Had a very good friend from there. Sadly he was buried there earlier this year.

Jtarm
06-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Congrats on your retirement, I'm sure it's well-earned.

You're not only a better shot than me, but a lot braver. I've spent a good bit of time on horseback and never met the horse I trusted enough to take a shot from the saddle.

schutzen
06-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Retirement is still a job. It is just a job with 365 vacation days per year. The only problem is if you do not use one, you loose it. There is no carry over until next year. Enjoy it as it comes. Now as to Hardin County. Knob Creek gun Range is just up Dixie Highway as is the Jefferson County Sportsman Club. Biff's Gun Shop is also on Dixie Highway just south of Louisville. Biff's has a very large selection of used reloading equipment. National Gun Day is at Freedom Hall twice a year. The NRA Convention is in Nashville in 2015 and back to Louisville in 2016. Plan to attend both. Lexington, about 2 hours east, has an excellent Civil War show every fall.

Retired life is just as good as you make it. Plan on making it great!

Suo Gan
06-23-2014, 12:45 PM
I have a home base that I keep, but like to travel and move around. For so many years I tinkered around and that is boring to me. Only so many coat racks, sheds, and barns can be built before it gets boring. I built a log splitter and a trailer, but figured out that they could be bought for cheaper. Then I figured out a fireplace is too much work. Keeping animals straps you down.

There is a free and easy way to this game. I like to go up to Alaska and catch some kings and mail them home. I like to go caribou hunting up north. Aside from that keeping a good fishing boat and a small rv around are nice. If you have one nice event every month or two to look forward to, and then you don't go stir crazy and a guy will go stir crazy on a ranchette in the bitterroot valley. Save your money, buy a condo in a nice area with plenty to do besides looking at cattle grazing on the hill. Then travel up to Montana once a year and it will be something you can appreciate.

You can travel, hunt, fish on a fairly meager retirement. It saves money buying things like expensive shop equipment that you use to make 5 dollar garage sale coatracks. The world has enough coatracks, it really does. Doing that is not free, and it is not cheap either...I dun it. It is boring.

Have fun with this! You only go round once. Hunt some blacktails on Kodiak. Take the bride to Ireland and kiss the stone. Catch a 300 pound marlin down in cabo. Take a slow boat out of San Diego and load the boat with albacore. You know that this shooting thing ain't really all it's cracked up to be either. Who gives a hoot if your deer rifle shoots 1/2 inch tighter groups one boolit mold to the next? A lot of time and money can be wasted on things that don't matter that much. But all this is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Everything is on timers. The pool guy comes once a week. The yard guy comes once a week. I don't have to be here and can do what I want. That is a different frame of reference than I had a few years ago. But you know all this stuff looks just as good as when I kept it up. There is a lot of life out there if you change your tune on having to do everything yourself.