PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Dillon 550, should I buy Dillon Dies?

TMenezes
06-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a Dillon 550B. My question is do I need to replace all my Dies with Dillon Dies? That would be quite an investment as I have a ton of Lee Dies already. I'm starting off with the 45 Colt as that's my biggest shooter. Next conversion kits will be 44 spec/44 Mag, 38/357mag. I also load 458 Socom and 480 Ruger, but I don't see that Dillon has those conversions or dies. Also, do you guys buy the expensive quick change conversions or go with the cheaper versions where you use the same powder drop? This is all very complex for a guy that has never loaded on anything other than my Lee single stage......

angus6
06-16-2014, 06:01 PM
I switch the powder measures, need to empty them anyway, some guys do get extra charge bars and have them set for each load, on your conversion you can use this chart to save $$ , got my 1050 conversion to under $70 this way http://gunwiki.net/apps/calconversion/index.asp?machine_3=on&go=Choose+Machines , catch Alvarez Kelly (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?14147-Alvarez-Kelly) for parts to make up conversion if you don't buy complete kits

As to dies any standard die will work

376Steyr
06-16-2014, 06:24 PM
If you are going to load thousands of rounds per cartridge per session, the Dillon dies are worth the money as they are designed to be taken apart for cleaning while still in the press. If your loading projects are not so epic, your existing dies should work fine.

M99SavNut
06-16-2014, 07:45 PM
The RL 550B manual (either in print or online on the Dillon website) has a reference section at the back of the manual which is called a "Caliber Conversion Chart". That states which Powder Funnel, Shellplate, and Locator Buttons are applicable for each caliber/cartridge being reloaded. It's most useful, as for instance, one shellplate will work with many cartridges, a given powder funnel will work with many (if not all) cartridges of that caliber, and the same goes for locator buttons, as they can be used on many different caliber/cartridge combinations. If you're willing to do a bit "mix and match" with the various components, you can save a lot of money by not buying separate conversion kits for each caliber you load, but buying whichever of the funnel/shellplate/locator buttons you need to add a caliber to your "repertoire". Additonal toolheads and powder dies required, or most certainly desirable, as time-saving devices as you go forward.

As for the dies or die sets, the sizing/decapping die is pretty much universal among the various manufacturers. However, most of the other manufacturers have a combination seating/crimp die, . The Dillon seating die and crimp dies are separate and are used in stations 3 and 4. You'd need separate dies or die sets from the other manufacturers to get what Dillon dies give at the start, and there's really not that much price difference when the extra die is considered. Your call.

Personally, I have several Dillon die sets, and probably more of other manufacturers' dies in other Dillon toolheads (having started in the game long before I heard of Dillon). By the way, I LOVE the Lee Factory Crimp dies, which are a favored fixture in that 4th station on my 550Bs. Yes, I have two of them, one of them upgraded from the RL 450 I bought in the early 1980s.

You made an excellent choice with this reloading tool, and should have many years of good service from them, and any other Dillon products you purchase in the future.

Jess

imashooter2
06-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Tip, you can put the Lee lock rings on the bottom of the tool head.

joesig
06-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Try what you have now and see if you like them. I didn't like how some RCBS work in my 650 so those calibers are in Dillon. Others that were acceptable I kept RCBS.

I won't say how lazy I am about caliber conversions but will say the less parts you have to move, the more fun it is.

dudel
06-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Lee dies were the only ones that gave me fits on the 550b. The threaded portion of the dies were too short. I ended up having to set the lock rings (Dillon as Lee's are too big) under the toolhead. It's cluncky, but it works. I'm not sure it would work with a short round like .380 ACP (may not be able to screw the die down far enough). There was barely enough thread to screw the dies down far enough to do 45 GAP.

No problem with any other dies (Hornady, Lyman, RCBS)

r1kk1
06-17-2014, 08:52 AM
I use Dillon dies when I can. The others are CH4D, RCBS, Hornady for wildcat pistol cartridges. I've done the under the bushing for Lee bullet sizers as the bodies are short. PITA but it works. Can't comment on Lee dies in a 550 as I don't use them.

Take care

R1kk1

Mohillbilly
06-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Spend your money on shell plates and tool heads . your dies will work . For common work I use the Lee powder dies that came with the dieset and the Lee measures , they cost less . I don't load max loads for anything , I just dig out a bigger gun for the job at hand . I have two 550b s as I am lazy about changing from large to small primers . I do use Dillon measures on select rifle setups . they are larger and seem a tad more accurate . '' BALL'' powder is best on my rifle cartridges .I use flake or pellet on hand gun stuff . Get your self a conversion chart that tells you what shell plate does what cartridge , and which buttons . Call Dillon or look on line , or on the order form in the middle of the " Blue press " I don't swap measures much , buy um , set um up , sticker um .
Always choose a powder slow enough to half or more fill the case . You will get better standard deveation , AND will know when you double charge , saving your gun fingers , eyes , or law suites . Remember if you tumble lube you have to clean the boolit seater die as needed , as lube builds up from the nose of the boolit and makes short rounds seated deeper and deeper .

i

jmorris
06-17-2014, 05:02 PM
If you already have dies, just use what you have. I do like Dillon dies though, all of their rifle dies have built in stuck case remover.

For the 458 socom I use the #1 shell plate, pins and the "A" funnel. I did have to bore out the powder die so the case would clear, dont remove all of the ridge just enough so the case doesn't hit it.