PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone?????

docone31
06-16-2014, 04:45 PM
I was just given a Traditions/Jukar .45 cal rifle kit. Barrel is brandy new.I want to remove the breechplug, percussion drum, and install a Plains flintlock for percussion drum breechplug.Has anyone ever removed the breechplug on a Jukar? It has a Douglas barrel so I consider it worth it. That and restocking it with a back action lock and appropriate furniture.I plan on a riveted underrib to make it authentic or so. Who knows.Anyone have any experience here?

Boaz
06-16-2014, 05:16 PM
I'v owned several of the Jukers and you are correct that the barrels are good . Pulled the drums on them but never had to remove the breech plug , that usually turns into something you wish you had not started . Sounds like you have an interesting project , please keep us up to date on your progress !

docone31
06-16-2014, 07:23 PM
I am thinking, I might cut off the breeched inch and retap.Might be a way to start fresh so to speak.

Boaz
06-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Be sure and take some 'before' pictures . People still come up with the Juker kits fairly often , they sure sold a lot of them but back in 60's and 70's there wasn't as much choice as later on . If they had used a one piece stock I believe they would almost be a collectable now , they were a good shooting rifle for the money .

Bullshop Junior
06-16-2014, 07:39 PM
If it hasn't been shot much it wont be bad taking the plug out.

docone31
06-16-2014, 11:00 PM
That is good to hear. It has never been assembled.I had heard tale of horror stories on removing the breech on these. Mayhaps they never removed the drum, or liner first??

Bullshop Junior
06-16-2014, 11:32 PM
The problem is that no one ever pulls it to clean them. I like to pull it every time to clean it if I can get it out. The first time.

waksupi
06-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Converting to flint, you are better off to cut, then re-breech.

Bullshop Junior
06-16-2014, 11:34 PM
^^^that man would know.

docone31
06-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Re-Breaching is an option.I will need a new powder drum hole anyway. Re-Breaching will make it all a clean installation.I had thought of that. The Breach plug I have in mind adds 1" to the unit.

waksupi
06-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Re-Breaching is an option.I will need a new powder drum hole anyway. Re-Breaching will make it all a clean installation.I had thought of that. The Breach plug I have in mind adds 1" to the unit.

Stay away from patent, or "Nock" breeches. They just cause problems. Flat faced breech plugs only.

dondiego
06-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Waksupi - Will you explain what you mean when you refer to a "nock" breach? Is that same as a hooked breach as in TC?

fouronesix
06-17-2014, 11:23 AM
"Nocked" breech? Me too? Definition, definition, definition, communication, communication, communication so everyone is on the same page.

I think a "notched" breech (never heard of a "nocked" breech although it may be used in some vernaculars) is like a flat breech where a notch is cut into the flat face of the breech for touch hole/flash hole/flash channel clearance into the "chamber" area. A patent breech is where a hollowed breech is fitted, then the flash hole/channel is drilled through both the barrel and the wall of the hollowed breech and into the "chamber" area.

Hope the water is not so muddied now that no one can make heads nor tails of the designs. I too would strongly agree that the best system for breeching a flinter is the flat breech where the flash hole/channel is drilled through the barrel just forward of the breech face. Avoids many problems.

docone31
06-17-2014, 11:55 AM
A patent breech is one with an hole in the center bring the percussion cap closer to the charge. The other breech is where the percussion drum is installed in front of the breech. Flintlocks use liners in this manner.The patent breech, the cleaning brush can get jammed in the hole while cleaning.Mainly, they center the flame hole to the charge. I am thinking of one for this build.

waksupi
06-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Nothing new!~

Nock Breech

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/327/1/PLAN-NOCK

Patent Breech
http://mamaflinter.tripod.com/id13.html

bob208
06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I use patent breaches on all my percussion guns. the only time you would have problems is if you use that fake powder.

mooman76
06-17-2014, 07:56 PM
I have never had a problem with patient breeches with fake powder either. I didn't even know I had patent breeches or what they were until a few years ago.

waksupi
06-17-2014, 09:43 PM
When they DO get fouled, have fun cleaning them. I refuse to build a gun with one.

dondiego
06-18-2014, 09:15 AM
I see, Nock is the guy's name who invented it!