PDA

View Full Version : .311 Front Drive Band being Size When Seating Bullet

detox
06-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Throat of Redding Inline Competition Seater die measures .3085, but it needs to be .3110 to prevent shaving or sizing during seating bullet. Redding does not modify there inline seater dies larger. Caliber is 308 Wincheser. Gun is Remington 700 with large .312 factory throat.

Redding says I can hone out their standard seater throat using 300grit paper and wooden dowel.

What are you guys doing to prevent sizing or shaving of front drive band when seating larger than SAMMI spec cast bullets.

Thanks.

mikeym1a
06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
My first thought would be to bell the case mouth slightly, to let the boolit start without shaving. If it is still sizing the projectile down, then you might consider a different die. My lee dies are fitted with an inside neck sizer that leaves it close to what it need to be. Then I seat the boolit, and use a lee collet die with the decapping pin removed to put a bit of tension on the boolit. that has worked for me in some of my old guns with 'generous' throats. Just out of curiousity, what does the bore slug to? mikey

detox
06-16-2014, 01:38 PM
My first thought would be to bell the case mouth slightly, to let the boolit start without shaving. If it is still sizing the projectile down, then you might consider a different die. My lee dies are fitted with an inside neck sizer that leaves it close to what it need to be. Then I seat the boolit, and use a lee collet die with the decapping pin removed to put a bit of tension on the boolit. that has worked for me in some of my old guns with 'generous' throats. Just out of curiousity, what does the bore slug to? mikey

Bullets are not being shaved by the cases. The front drive band is being sized down by small .3085 throat in seating die and causing bullets to stick in die.

I found a solution to problem. My Hornaday 30-30 inline seater has a throat diameter of .311 and seats .311 bullet perfectly without sizing or sticking on front bands. It also roll crimps case after seating. This 30-30 seater will work with most any medium or long length bottle neck .308 caliber cartridge

detox
06-16-2014, 03:53 PM
I asked L.E. Wilson if they would make me a inline seating die for larger cast bullets and here was their response:

Hello Keith,

We actually need a few samples of your bullet and cases. Then we take a standard 308 seater and open it up to work with the leaded bullets.

There is a $15 modification charge along with the cost of the special ground seating stem, which will have a finish of .312.

Please call to order.

Thank you,
509-782-1328