PDA

View Full Version : Must have grown legs and walked off, Argh!!!

Remmy4477
06-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Well over the weekend I was going to cast about 50 rounds for my Remington RB. Been using an old toy casting pot (used to cast toy soldiers), Nothing fancy but it worked, slowly! I went out to the shop to fire it up and it's gone!!! What the?? Me and the wife looked all over the place for it! I'm guessing it either grew legs and ran away, Or I had a senior moment a few weeks ago and left the shop unlocked for a few days and maybe one of the local kids carted it off?? Funny thing is that old pot's the only thing missing! No missing tools or what not just that pot. Luckly my wife says your due for an upgrade. We went to Cabelas and she bought me a LEE Production Pot IV, I'm up town now! Yes when I'm done in the shop, check the lock!! Still don't understand why just the pot walked out on me and nothing else??? I do however like my upgrade. :)

swheeler
06-16-2014, 09:36 AM
I think the wife had the upgrade planned.;)

One Gun Andy
06-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Keep that wife! ; ) ...and lock the shop door...

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Your "little tin solider" rode away into the sunset.Robert

zidave
06-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a keeper. Enjoy that Lee furnace, I just picked one up and love it.

Green Frog
06-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Well over the weekend I was going to cast about 50 rounds for my Remington RB. Been using an old toy casting pot (used to cast toy soldiers), Nothing fancy but it worked, slowly! I went out to the shop to fire it up and it's gone!!! What the?? Me and the wife looked all over the place for it! I'm guessing it either grew legs and ran away, Or I had a senior moment a few weeks ago and left the shop unlocked for a few days and maybe one of the local kids carted it off?? Funny thing is that old pot's the only thing missing! No missing tools or what not just that pot. Luckly my wife says your due for an upgrade. We went to Cabelas and she bought me a LEE Production Pot IV, I'm up town now! Yes when I'm done in the shop, check the lock!! Still don't understand why just the pot walked out on me and nothing else??? I do however like my upgrade. :)

Oddly enough, I asked on another portion of this board a week or two ago whether anybody thought it would be a good idea to use one of the toy soldier melting pots (vintage about 1939) to cast short runs of bullets. At the time nobody commented yea or nay. Assuming you didn't have to buy one to do it, how would you feel about using one for the purpose I mentioned? I already have one, but don't need any toy soldiers. 8-)

Froggie

Remmy4477
06-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Froggie, If your just making a few, works great! I'm casting boolits in the 440 grain range, so for me it was a pain as I was always feeding it and waiting for it to get up to tempature to cast some more. Took forever to cast 50 big boolits. I modified mine by taking off the soldier mold, cutting off half the base under the spout then attached the rest of it to a old large tin can to give it some elevation on the bench. Worked decent for starting out for me. Would probably be a good little pot for smaller calibers.

leeggen
06-16-2014, 08:24 PM
I bet in a few days you'll find it just reappear. Sometimes wifes and or kids trick the man of the house just so they can buy him an upto date item. Better keep her!
CD

Remmy4477
06-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Oh yea, the wifes a keeper. She's not much for shooting. But she supports all the weird stuff I do.

Hickok
06-17-2014, 11:04 AM
I have been looking for a box of 50 count .22 hornet cases for about 3 months now. I knew I had them, couldn't find them. Did the complete search of the man cave/reloading bunker at least three times. Figured I would just order some more,....yea right, none to found, and the ones I did find must have been gold plated, as I couldn't afford them.

So just last evening, I was setting up a different scope on my Model 70 .223, and I go in and get a new MTM storage box with all the trays, and the end pieces that cradle a rifle. Received it at Christmas, and put it aside.

It feels heavy, so I open it up.

Wow, I feel like a pirate with a treasure chest! Inside I find my box of Hornet brass, a couple of boxes of CCI .22 LR hp, and CCI .22 mags, assorted boxes of factory 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

Happy, happy, happy! Still can't recall hording that stash of ammo,.....might have to get the wife to start running inventory!

Bullshop Junior
06-17-2014, 06:29 PM
I had been looking for a tool since we moved to texas that I knew I brought with me. I looked out the back window last night to see a raccoon on his bank legs waddling off his said tool. Load of 20ga buck got back my snapon gear puller.

Taylor
06-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Gremlins! I still can't find my skinning knife,new saw and a freezer bag of 30 carbine brass.Oh yeah,and my computer mouse.

bedbugbilly
06-18-2014, 08:15 AM
I always put stuff where I know I'll remember to be able to find it when I need it . . . that's why I have multiples of hammers, hacksaws, etc. I bet I have a half dozen caulking guns - they always seem to "disappear" when I need one!

What really gets me is as the years go by, I run across stuff that I don't have a clue where or when I got them. Sometimes, it's a pleasant surprise . .. sometimes it's "why in the heck do I have this?" LOL

Hardcast416taylor
06-18-2014, 02:50 PM
C`mon guys, own up to it! You`ve been working on your back under a vehicle or implement and you set down a wrench for just an instant. You move your hand to pick it up again and.....POOF...no wrench to be found! Somewhere in the nether world of Gremlins that like to snitch things is an almost half full tool box of my missing wrenches!Robert

GP100man
06-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Bermuda Triangle strikes again , ask less questions & cast on brother !!

I also think it was a planned fathers day thang ???

2ndAmendmentNut
06-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Tape measures and carpenter pencils always walk away from me.

Taylor
06-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Let's don't forget torch strikers,gotta bunch of'em.