PDA

View Full Version : why? moderators...just why?

mozeppa
06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
why don't we have a brass forum page ....

after all ...without brass we'd all be muzzle stuffers!

osteodoc08
06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
I'd imagine most brass questions can fit elsewhere and there just isn't enough hocus pocus with brass (as compared to lube)

500MAG
06-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Other than tumbling and trimming what are we doing with it? We have a swaging section. Anything used to tumble it is reloading equipment.

Dusty Bannister
06-15-2014, 10:23 PM
What exactly would you need to ask about that you can not find with the search feature?

remy3424
06-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Neck turning, flash hole deburring....a lot of effort can go into the case....small base, full length & neck sizing...I seem to do a lot with some of mine.

petroid
06-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Forming brass from other cartridges and making shotshells from rifle or pistol cases are other topics which might be covered. I don't know. Is there enough to warrant creating a subforum?

Gun_nut83
06-15-2014, 11:33 PM
The only reason I could see to create a sub-forum for brass would be to centralize all info on brass from trimming, de-crimping, to even making brass for obsolete cartridges out of other easily found cartridges. Once all info and avenues had been exploited the thread would die and become some place people would go to read or re-read info they didn't take notes on in the first place. Personally I am one who takes scrupulous notes, IMHO if you reload.... you better be taking notes on EVERYTHING. Tips, tricks, weights, lengths, distances, caps whether they were re-primed or not and if so how, coatings, gas checks, grouping and so on. Anything and everything that helps you load or makes things easier even down to where you're getting your material from just to keep it in your mind. I'm great with faces terrible with names my long term memory is good my short term memory stinks until I've done it enough to commit it to long term. Just my .02.

mikeym1a
06-15-2014, 11:36 PM
A sub-forum for brass is a good idea. As stated, it would centralize all the questions about brass in one area. sounds like a good idea to me. mikey

Dusty Bannister
06-16-2014, 08:03 AM
The only reason I could see to create a sub-forum for brass would be to centralize all info on brass from trimming, de-crimping, to even making brass for obsolete cartridges out of other easily found cartridges. Once all info and avenues had been exploited the thread would die and become some place people would go to read or re-read info they didn't take notes on in the first place.

I suppose it is silly to repeat this but the search feature has been improved. It is much easier to use, and might help some that are not familiar with all the various sub forums.

Case preparation ------508 threads
Case forming ------- 4,600 threads
Flash hole deburring --198 threads

Do you really need to have something more specific or easier to use? Even if it was a sub-forum, you would still need some method to search.

You have really good tools available if you want to make use of them.

mdi
06-16-2014, 01:01 PM
I doubt if a forum would die because "every" item/question had been covered. Just go through the topics/threads here and you'll see a cycle of the same old questions being asked. Sometimes a bit differently worded but still the same old stuff. How many time has "my hard cast bullets lead my barrel", "what's the OAL for my Googleheim hard cast 197 grain HP?" come up. Many (if not most) new forum users don't even bother to read the stickies and can't get the Search to work for them, so they just ask the questions, again, again, and again...

FWIW, it took a whole lot of pressure/requests to get a new sub forum on Powder Coating and a few months of begging before it was added. If there is enough interest, mebbe a "brass" sub forum would be a good idea, but I don't see it. In my estimation, there's not a lot of new stuff happening for cases, or case preparation, and the info used today has been around for a looooong time.