PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Posi-Prime Hand Primer

Bayou52
06-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Anybody out there using one of these little hand priming tools? If so, can you offer your opinion of how it works for you, and what's your opinion of it?

I'm trying to get enough parts to piece one of these little dandies together. Looks like a nice tool to have on the reloading bench. Been wanting one for some time....They have been out of production for years.

Thanks!

shaggybull
06-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Contact RCBS for your pieces. I picked one up that was missing pieces RCBS sent me all the parts needed.

Outpost75
06-15-2014, 09:50 PM
I have two of these and use them all the time. They work as well as more expensive priming tools.

GhostHawk
06-15-2014, 09:56 PM
I have one and like it very well. You do need to watch out for things like double primers etc, the guide lever seems a bit flimsy (Yes I managed to bend mine, but it straightened right out again)

I have not got a lot of cases through mine, but I love the fact that I don't have to change shellholder.
As long as it takes large rifle primers I can just feed them through.

You really do quickly develop a feel for how much pressure is "just right".

If it stops and the handle is mostly in, all is well. If it stops short of that you have a problem.

I would buy mine again, or recomend them to a friend. I think they are the best of the reasonably priced hand primers.

TNsailorman
06-16-2014, 12:11 AM
I have been using the RCBS posi-primer for years. Matter of fact, I have 2 at the moment. I keep one set up for Large primers and one for small primers. I also gave another one to my son. They use the same shell holders that fit the single stage presses. You will need to change shell holders by the cartridge size to be used and the seat stem by the large or small primers to be used. The do not have a primer tray, so the primers will need be loaded one at a time into the seating stem. I use tweezers for this--not my finegers. Some people do not like this type of priming system but I prefer it over the other types. I usually prime while watching a ball game, either football or baseball. You will learn to develop a feel for the seating depth and not overly flatten the primer as with other systems. Parts are getting scarce now though. The last time I talked to RCBS about getting a couple of springs and a small primer stem, they told me the supply of seating stems was getting low. That is my experience anyway, james

Bayou52
06-16-2014, 05:22 AM
I have been using the RCBS posi-primer for years. Matter of fact, I have 2 at the moment. I keep one set up for Large primers and one for small primers. I also gave another one to my son.

James -

Did you buy your 3 posi-primes a long time ago, or did you get them recently somewhere? I know they have been out of production for years. Just trying to figure out who might have these things.

I just bought a handle from someone. I'll contact RCBS for parts.

Been wanting one for some time.....

TNsailorman
06-16-2014, 12:19 PM
I bought my first ***-Prime while they were still making them. I later bought one(used) from a local sporting goods store. I bought the last one on ebay and got a real good price on it(something like $12.95 + shipping of $4.00). The one from the sporting goods store needed the small primer spring and stem but I got those off RCBS and that's when they told me they were getting short on their supply of parts. They turn up from time to time on Ebay and GunBroker but most of the time are fairly high in price but occasionally they turn up with a good price. I used an old Lee (60's version with the screw in shell holders) for many years (62 thru about 84) but eventually that cheap pot metal worn and broke. Parts for those Lee's are more rare than Spanish doubloons. I have never liked the press mounted systems and wouldn't go near one of the pre-loaded plastic tray primer systems. Just my ol man ways. I have considered one of the RCBS Bench primers or the Bonanza system but so far have been unwilling to part with the money to get one as they are very expensive. I don't like Ebay but in this case, it just might be your best bet to find one. james

Bayou52
06-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks, James -

The handle I purchased recently was off of eBay, but it wasn't cheap. I haven't even received it yet, but it should arrive soon. I'll inspect, and then contact RCBS and hopefully get the parts - both primer rod assemblies and retaining clip.

I still use the old style Lee screw-in hand primers, too. I've got a few of them, so if one breaks, there's a couple of back-ups. I like the feel of the hand primers.

I bought new style Hornady hand primer recently. Used it once and went back to the Lees.

I'm hoping the posi-prime unit can be pieced together to make a good one. It reminds me of the old Lees, but may be more useful due to the standard shellholders.

I think eBay may be one of the few places these things can be found.....

Bayou52

TNsailorman
06-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Bayou, I was given a Lee repair kit for the old screw in Lee primer seater about 20 years ago. It contained a handle, the center ram, and basically everything to repair the system except the body. Unfortunately, I had to use it on one of my Lee's. If I ever find another one, I would grab it in a minute. The original Lee's started out with a lifetime guarantee but they sure dropped that in a hurry. I like Lee equipment, just not the 2 year warranty. But at the price, I do understand. If I run into any parts for either the Lee or RCBS, I'll try to keep you in mind. By the way, there are 2 of the old Lee's on Ebay right now but they are not cheap. james

Bayou52
06-16-2014, 08:18 PM
James -

You're very kind to keep me in mind for parts for the Lee and RCBS hand primers. I could use them, for sure.

And thanks for informing about eBay. You're right- people are bidding things up. Alas, I'm bidding on one of the Lees myself. And I just won the auction for the Posi-Prime handle on Sunday. Actually, the thing looked new. I have not received it yet, though. I've requsted both primimg assemblies and the retaining clip from RCBS. I just hope I can piece it together to work.

Thanks for informing about the Lee repair kits. I was unaware of those. I'll keep an eye out for those.

Thanks, James