PDA

View Full Version : Electric Smoker

TXGunNut
06-15-2014, 02:32 AM
I bought an electric smoker a few months back, I know that will offend the purists but sometimes a conventional smoker is more effort than I want to put into a pile of chicken & ribs.
Tonight was my third attempt, very much like my first two. Seems there's no hurrying even an electric smoker. I fooled around most of the afternoon and didn't make it home before about 5P, smoker still hasn't gotten it done and it's almost 1:30. Got lots of loading and surfing done while I was waiting. :lol:
I think my thermostat may be a bit off or the tables are wrong. They say 3-4 hours @ 200 degrees is all it takes for ribs and chicken, methinks I'll try 220 degrees next time. I'm meeting someone at the range tomorrow morning and it's gonna be a short night, lol.
I'll post pics if I can figure out my new phone/camera. Looking good so far but it's dark & smoky out there. :wink:

Lloyd Smale
06-15-2014, 07:16 AM
first thing you need to invest in if smoking meat is a good meat thermometer. Ive got two digitals that monitor both meat temp and inside temp. I use both when smoking and believe the one thats reading lowest. Be careful with them too as i bought a few before i found ones that are calibrated right and even they are 5 degrees off between them.

redriverhunter
06-15-2014, 08:07 AM
I have an old smokey electric smoker and what I like to do is take a whole chicken at about 6 a.m. and put it at 225 degrees and let it go all day. Come super time its ready nice, smoke flavor, juicy and almost falls off the bone.

Shiloh
06-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Low maintenance.

Turn it on, set the temp, put in you chunks or chips, let it do it's thing.
After tasting the product, I'm convinced. This coming from a charcoal smoker guy.

Shiloh

TXGunNut
06-15-2014, 11:04 AM
This smoker has a probe, just haven't used it. I prefer to use another digital that I use for everything else. I guess I should figure out how to use it to save opening the door.
My favorite BBQ place uses a battery of commercial electric smokers, I was a bit disappointed when I first caught a glimpse of them but you can't argue with the results.

crawfobj
06-15-2014, 11:12 AM
What model is it? My first was the little red brinkman unit. Any wind would kill the heat in it. Bought the blanket that goes around it and got amazing results.

I gave it to my MIL when I upgraded. She's a little short on comprehension skills and skipped the water pan and set the whole thing on fire.

Lloyd Smale
06-17-2014, 07:54 AM
i have to agree. Ive been using an electric of propane smoker since day one and never had anything but compliments on the final product. Id never want the inconvience of having to use a charcoal smoker. Just to tough to maintain proper temps for a perfect job.
Low maintenance.

Turn it on, set the temp, put in you chunks or chips, let it do it's thing.
After tasting the product, I'm convinced. This coming from a charcoal smoker guy.

Shiloh

Zeebob
06-17-2014, 08:08 AM
I by passed the electric smokers...I use a propane smoker in conjunction with a small pan of charcoal and wood chips... I use it for smoking pork shoulders, chicken, sausage and lunchmeat... I can control the heat very closely and I can do fairly large batches as well...

Here is a batch of lunch meat going in....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/550/medium/meat_010em.jpg

And here they are coming out...actually I have a batch of this lunchmeat in the smoker right now...:grin:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/550/medium/meat_011em.jpg

I do have a charcoal smoker/grill also, and I use that for ribs and small loads of chicken...but the propane smoker is hard to beat for big batches...

Z

MaryB
06-17-2014, 10:24 PM
at 225 ribs can take 6 hours for spares, chicken varies depending on the chicken. My traeger is electric start but then runs on the burning pellets. Fill hopper, turn to low and start it, set the temp, add food ignore it except for mopping and flipping the ribs once an hour. I have tossed a brisket on and gone to bed. But I do use a wireless thermometer with low and high temp alarms that will wake me if there is a problem.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/shop/?maverick_et73_remote_thermometer&show=product&productID=280527&productCategoryIDs=6882

TXGunNut
06-18-2014, 10:37 PM
My smoker's a little Masterbuilt, Cabelas had an awesome deal on them awhile back so I jumped on it. It takes a handful of chips every 30 minutes or so but I like that idea better than pellets.
Awesome rig, Zeebob. What kind of luchmeat?
225 sounds good to me, Mary. Agreed on the chicken, my first victim was a big roaster and I thought I would never get it done. I just rub my ribs and let them cook, rub gives it a flavor I prefer over sauce and I quite honestly don't need the extra calories. ;-)
Don't know it I have room but I'm thinking a pork shoulder or brisket will be fun next time I fire it up.

Shiloh
06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
i have to agree. Ive been using an electric of propane smoker since day one and never had anything but compliments on the final product. Id never want the inconvience of having to use a charcoal smoker. Just to tough to maintain proper temps for a perfect job.

Winter smoking is a crapshoot with charcoal. Just darn near impossible for the temp consistency you need. There are folks up here in the frozen noth who pull it off. I'm just not one of them.

This is where electric and gas really show there mettle. Easier to keep consistent.

Shiloh

TXGunNut
06-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Wind often makes it difficult to smoke stuff on my little spot on the prairie. That's why I like a smoker that keeps most of the smoke inside and doesn't need a fire. I'll still use the other smoker with the firebox attached now and then.

mannyCA
06-19-2014, 10:17 PM
I by passed the electric smokers...I use a propane smoker in conjunction with a small pan of charcoal and wood chips... I use it for smoking pork shoulders, chicken, sausage and lunchmeat... I can control the heat very closely and I can do fairly large batches as well...

Here is a batch of lunch meat going in....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/550/medium/meat_010em.jpg

And here they are coming out...actually I have a batch of this lunchmeat in the smoker right now...:grin:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/550/medium/meat_011em.jpg

I do have a charcoal smoker/grill also, and I use that for ribs and small loads of chicken...but the propane smoker is hard to beat for big batches...

Z

Thats some great looking meat! You guys are making me want to pull out the smoker this weekend!

MaryB
06-20-2014, 12:26 AM
In a charcoal smoker you need to use a charcoal maze, light one end and it will help control the temps as it burns.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2569/4044833752_821398afa4.jpg

Moonie
06-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Making 5 lbs of bratwurst this weekend, will be smoking them as well. I have a great group of friends that brew beer. We are making brats with some of the home made beer (an IPA) and some home made beer mustard (Irish Heavy) for our yearly get together next weekend.

Jailer
06-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Nothing wrong with an electric smoker, they have their place. They are especially good at low smoking temps for things like bacon, back bacon, jerky and cheese. I use my PID to control mine.

TXgunut check out a smoke generator if you don't want to mess with constantly adding chips. Works on the same principle as the charcoal maze maryB posted. Used in conjunction with a PID it makes a smoke effortless.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Shiloh
06-20-2014, 01:58 PM
In a charcoal smoker you need to use a charcoal maze, light one end and it will help control the temps as it burns.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2569/4044833752_821398afa4.jpg

This is a GREAT idea MaryB!!! We need to talk!!

Shiloh

HiVelocity
06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJlBLYGNcs

When I lived in Alaska, many of us simply made "a real mans smoker" out of old refridgerators.

I smoked salmon, ptarmigan (grouse), DollyVarden trout, turkey breasts, hot dogs, and more.

There is nothing like home smoked foods, an American tradition.

HV

Lee
06-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Really good tips here. I own all 3, but haven't used the charcoal one in a couple (3-4) years. Just easier to Plug-N-Play or turn the valve and push the button.
Keep the water pan filled, or you end up with meat fibers. I soak my wood chips in water for 10-20 minutes, then drain and throw them in the chip pan. You can never have enough thermometers around. It sure beats food poisoning! Err on the high side of temp. 5-10 even 15 degrees too hot won't really hurt you, as long as you keep the water pan going. Did I say water pan? Err on the low side and you might meet Mr. Food Poisoning. Did I mention food poisoning?
Boil some water. Put your temperature probe in there, and if it says 212F then you're good to go.
The above are observations I've learned over the years. I hope they might help ..... Lee

Elkins45
06-20-2014, 02:58 PM
I have one of those Little Chief electric smokers that's is just basically an aluminum box with a few racks and a heating element. I have settled on a hybrid approach to using it where I leave the meat in it for one pan of chips. Once all of the chips have burned and the smoke has ended I transfer the meat to either the oven or gas grill (depending on the season and the toughness of the cut) to actually cook. This gives me the smoke flavor I want but with much more control over the cooking process.

MaryB
06-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Therer are several commercial versions on the market for different grills and smokers. I had one for my Klose that worked well, I just wasn't a fan of charcoal.

This is a GREAT idea MaryB!!! We need to talk!!

Shiloh

TXGunNut
06-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Nothing wrong with an electric smoker, they have their place. They are especially good at low smoking temps for things like bacon, back bacon, jerky and cheese. I use my PID to control mine.

TXgunut check out a smoke generator if you don't want to mess with constantly adding chips. Works on the same principle as the charcoal maze maryB posted. Used in conjunction with a PID it makes a smoke effortless.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Thanks for the link. Looks like I just replace the existing tray with this thing. Looks like Mary's charcoal maze. Was thinking the dust and pellets were a bit expensive but then remembered what I pay for the chips I'm buying. Would come in handy for an all-night turkey session. OTOH I'm not sure I really need smoke after the first few hours.
Thermostat on my smoker seems to work quite well, haven't even bothered to use the probe yet. May buy/build a PID for my pot someday but smoker's doing just fine.

TXGunNut
06-25-2014, 10:09 PM
My education continues, ya'll have talked me into doing pulled pork this weekend. Picked up a 5# pork butt tonight, thinking a good rub and 5-6 hours @ 225 degrees.
Have some chicken quarters to add after hour two.
Sound right?

MaryB
06-26-2014, 02:14 AM
I picked up an 8 pound butt for the 4th of July. Will have a few friends over for a simple meal, pulled pork, beans, slaw

Jailer
06-26-2014, 07:43 PM
My education continues, ya'll have talked me into doing pulled pork this weekend. Picked up a 5# pork butt tonight, thinking a good rub and 5-6 hours @ 225 degrees.
Have some chicken quarters to add after hour two.
Sound right?

Skip the time measure of cooking. Cook it to an IT of 205 foil it and then give it about an hour rest in a well insulated cooler with a few towels or blankets tossed in to take up the free space.

TXGunNut
06-26-2014, 09:40 PM
I picked up an 8 pound butt for the 4th of July. Will have a few friends over for a simple meal, pulled pork, beans, slaw

That's my goal as well, except I'm taking the whole mess over to my moms. This weekend's project is a trial run.

TXGunNut
06-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Skip the time measure of cooking. Cook it to an IT of 205 foil it and then give it about an hour rest in a well insulated cooler with a few towels or blankets tossed in to take up the free space.

That makes sense, does the cooker temp sound right to you? Instructions suggest 200 for most things and that hasn't worked out well.

MaryB
06-26-2014, 11:12 PM
I have put 2 equal sized butts on at the same time. My Traeger temps are very even across the grate so cooking temps were identical. One finished 1 1/2 hours before the other. I always foil wrap and toss in a cooler lined with towels. With 2 or more butts in a cooler they can rest for up to 8 hours and will still be steaming hot when they come out.

steve817
06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Really good tips here. I own all 3, but haven't used the charcoal one in a couple (3-4) years. Just easier to Plug-N-Play or turn the valve and push the button.
Keep the water pan filled, or you end up with meat fibers. I soak my wood chips in water for 10-20 minutes, then drain and throw them in the chip pan. You can never have enough thermometers around. It sure beats food poisoning! Err on the high side of temp. 5-10 even 15 degrees too hot won't really hurt you, as long as you keep the water pan going. Did I say water pan? Err on the low side and you might meet Mr. Food Poisoning. Did I mention food poisoning?
Boil some water. Put your temperature probe in there, and if it says 212F then you're good to go.
The above are observations I've learned over the years. I hope they might help ..... Lee

I have never used the water pan but I usually only do briskets or pork butts. I have cooked for as many as 40 people with requests coming in for bigger and bigger groups. It's getting to the point that I am considering investing in a Fast Eddy by Cookshack.

Jailer
06-27-2014, 01:59 PM
That makes sense, does the cooker temp sound right to you? Instructions suggest 200 for most things and that hasn't worked out well.

I run mine at 225 for a shoulder or butt so yes your temp is good. Anywhere from 225 to 250 will work fine, it doesn't have to be exact.

I have put 2 equal sized butts on at the same time. My Traeger temps are very even across the grate so cooking temps were identical. One finished 1 1/2 hours before the other. I always foil wrap and toss in a cooler lined with towels. With 2 or more butts in a cooler they can rest for up to 8 hours and will still be steaming hot when they come out.

MaryB's post above is exactly why you cook to temp and not by time.

MaryB
06-28-2014, 12:32 AM
Yup when I catered I never told the customer that I could serve at exactly x time, I gave them a 2 hour window and said when the food is ready it is ready. To many variables, outdoor temps, humidity, wind, fuel, how much fat is in the meat all make a difference in how long it takes to cook.

smokeywolf
06-28-2014, 02:13 AM
I like to smoke beef at 220*, pork at 225*, but I do fowl at 235* - 260* (chicken pieces lower, whole chicken a little higher, 12 lb. turkey 260*) depending on the size of the bird. You need to be careful to get poultry though the 40* to 140* degree internal temp range without too much lingering.

Baby backs are usually done in about 3 hrs.
Beef ribs take 6 1/2 to 7 hrs.
Pork butt takes about 9 1/2 hrs.

I'm kind of old school; I use an offset smoker, start my fire with mesquite lump charcoal and when it's going real, real well I throw a 10 - 12 inch long chunk of hickory, apple or pecan in the firebox and plop my meat down on the grate. All fuel added after that is wood.

smokeywolf

MaryB
06-28-2014, 11:53 PM
When I had my Klose and burned all wood I used oak only. All I could get here in MN. Made some great food with it though!

TXGunNut
06-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Pulled pork class went well, was working on something in the back yard all day so tending the smoker was no biggie. Even went to a lunch meeting (bbq) at the range while it was cooking. Had a little help from my brother and sister grading my homework, straight "A's". They're both accomplished smokers so I'm pretty pleased with that. Used pecan chips and a very good storebought rub.

MaryB
06-30-2014, 11:28 PM
Traeger baby back ribs cooked hot at 275

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/2014-06-29_17-52-51_211_zps192df789.jpg

smokeywolf
07-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Oh come on Mary. Have you mercy? I haven't had baby backs in probably 2 weeks.

smokeywolf

Shiloh
07-01-2014, 07:58 AM

Sounds good. Keep it simple. Found some fresh tropical fruit salsa at the local Hy-Vee market. That would go well with your pork butts.

Shiloh

Shiloh
07-01-2014, 08:01 AM
When I had my Klose and burned all wood I used oak only. All I could get here in MN. Made some great food with it though!

I have mesquite, hickory, and cherry. Oak is my wood of choice for smoke.

Shiloh

TXGunNut
07-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Scored a nice pork butt and even tossed a couple of racks of ribs in the cart while I was in the neighborhood. Here in TX it's a crime to operate a smoker with an empty rack and I'm not taking any chances, suspect enforcement activity will be high. It's only a misdemeanor but no sense in spoiling the mood. ;-)

MaryB
07-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Besides the butt I will toss on some chicken quarters to pull for sandwiches or tacos.

Surculus
07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Any of you food smokin' lunatics in Lo-Cal So.Cal. [where the money is plastic & the people are too?] I've got a NIB MasterChef electric smoker [won via radio marketing last November] that I'll sell you for $125 [best price I've seen was $170 black friday special on Amazon.] I keep meaning to put it on Craigslist but if a CB member wants it, I'd rather give you the deal...

silverado
07-06-2014, 11:37 PM
I want to go ahead and call Bologna on anyone who says charcoal is too much hassle. I can cook 12 hours on a load of coal without adjusting anything on my weber smoker. Not to take away from gas or electric, but to correct some untrue statements.

MaryB
07-07-2014, 02:44 AM
Yup the weber Smokey Mountain cookers are very efficient and easy to control charcoal smokers

smokeywolf
07-07-2014, 06:14 AM
Went to the meat market the other day and got a packer's cut brisket. Trimmed the fat cap, rubbed her down, put her in a vacuum food suck bag and in the fridge overnight.

Friday was spent smoking the brisket with mesquite "cowboy charcoal" and pecan wood. I also threw some bacon wrapped asparagus on the upper rack nearer the fire box.

It was a good 4th.

smokeywolf

MaryB
07-08-2014, 12:14 AM
For those who want a smoker but are low on funds... http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13224 works as well as a Weber Smokey Mountain and many have been built.

reloader28
07-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Mine is a gas Mastersbuilt Elite.
Had some friends in from Wisconsin last week.
Smoked a batch of ribs Tuesday.
Threw 4 home made pizzas in Thursday.
Smoked a couple briskets up Saturday.
Man them briskets are good. Better than any prime rib I've had.

MaryB
07-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Brisket has far more flavor than any prime rib ever will. Next would be a smoked chuck roast, they pull just like pulled pork. Tonight's supper off the Traeger smoker. Smoke baked potato and a chicken leg quarter both hot smoked at 375

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/IMG_20140708_1811153451_zpsa34ae413.jpg

Shiloh
07-09-2014, 09:37 AM
For those who want a smoker but are low on funds... http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13224 works as well as a Weber Smokey Mountain and many have been built.

Check these out.
All my CastBoolit BBQ friends need two or three of these.

http://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/hybrid-fire-grill/freestanding-grills/

Shiloh

Jailer
07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Next would be a smoked chuck roast, they pull just like pulled pork.

This is on my short list of things to smoke.

Check these out.

Shiloh

Have you priced one of those? :shock::shock::shock:

MaryB
07-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Get the Cadilac of BBQ pits http://www.bbqpits.com/ Klose wood burners

Moonie
07-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Check these out.

Shiloh

Holy cow, I have enough trouble budgeting for my gun hobby...

WILCO
07-10-2014, 08:57 AM

I'll say! Glad there's a market base to support those fine products.

WILCO
07-10-2014, 08:59 AM
I want to go ahead and call Bologna on anyone who says charcoal is too much hassle.

Those who complain about charcoal are the one's who don't understand it's proper use.

silverado
07-10-2014, 09:01 AM
If I am willing to spend hours in a hot garage casting boolits, 20 minutes drinking a beer while I watch the chimney starter is nothing [emoji6]

MaryB
07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Try feeding a wood burning BBQ pit for 24 hours, add wood every 30 minutes to keep a small hot clean burning fire. Note the thin blue smoke coming out the upright section. Heavy white bitter smoke is bad, clean burn is what you want for the best food.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/bbqparty003-1.jpg

TXGunNut
07-11-2014, 12:25 AM
I think I'll give my smoker a rest this weekend. Teaching myself how to use this thing has filled my freezer with more "homework" than I'll be able to eat for awhile. Still haven't done a brisket and there's a venison or pork loin in the freezer.
I get along OK with charcoal but most days it's too windy to use it in my outdoor kitchen. Someday I'll learn to use it properly and maybe even build a windbreak...but some folks think I break enough wind already. ;-)

Shiloh
07-11-2014, 09:16 AM

You Too?? ;)
The bride is pretty reasonable about my spending on pit mods and meat, but she reaps the results.

Shiloh

Shiloh
07-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Try feeding a wood burning BBQ pit for 24 hours, add wood every 30 minutes to keep a small hot clean burning fire. Note the thin blue smoke coming out the upright section. Heavy white bitter smoke is bad, clean burn is what you want for the best food.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/bbqparty003-1.jpg

This is exactly why brisket over a wood pit, is a labor of love. A LOT of work. My ribs go about six hours. Brisket can go 12 hours easy.

SHiloh

reloader28
07-11-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm not a fan of Myron Mixon, but we bought his book and tried his brisket recipie a couple of times. With hundreds of championship wins, how can he be wrong?
We think it is AWESOME.
6 1/2 hours and its done. Very, very juicy and you can cut it with plastic ware. Excellent flavor.

MaryB
07-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Longer and slower a piece of meat cooks the better the flavor and texture. I can rush it but it is not as good.

smokeywolf
07-12-2014, 02:56 AM
Rack of baby backs and a rack of beef ribs on the smoker right now. Rubbed and marinated, heat and smoke from mesquite lump charcoal and pecan wood. Baste (for pork) is apple cider vinegar, butter, brown sugar, honey, kosher salt and Chinese sauce.

Mrs. smokeywolf keeps asking why my cell phone keeps dinging. It's my reminder that, it's our anniversary in about 5 more minutes.

Here's the baby backs, 110412

smokeywolf

rondog
07-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Something to consider that a lot of people don't - let the meat sit out overnight so it can come to room temp. Putting cold meat from the fridge into a smoker will add hours to the cooking time, takes a long time to warm up the interior temp.

TXGunNut
07-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Longer and slower a piece of meat cooks the better the flavor and texture. I can rush it but it is not as good.

That's the basis of smoking and BBQ. There's no need to hurry a big chunk of meat, patience has it's reward. Thanks for the reminder.

TXGunNut
07-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Something to consider that a lot of people don't - let the meat sit out overnight so it can come to room temp. Putting cold meat from the fridge into a smoker will add hours to the cooking time, takes a long time to warm up the interior temp.

I don't think overnight is a good idea for safety's sake but letting it come to room temperature is a good idea for steaks, chops and eggs. If the outside wasn't at room temp for so long I'd be tempted to agree. Bacteria forms on the surface of meat but the smoker should deal with that forthwith. I like the concept but it scares me, rondog. Care to elaborate?

Shiloh
07-14-2014, 09:16 PM

Ive left it out in the cool basement for many hours, but leave it it for only a couple at room temp.

Shiloh

sniper69
07-23-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm not a fan of Myron Mixon, but we bought his book and tried his brisket recipie a couple of times. With hundreds of championship wins, how can he be wrong?
We think it is AWESOME.
6 1/2 hours and its done. Very, very juicy and you can cut it with plastic ware. Excellent flavor.

Harry Soo has an Umami Brisket recipe that is very tasty. The neighbors I had over to the house all complimented on the great taste and tenderness. It takes some time but is definitely worth it.

Yup the weber Smokey Mountain cookers are very efficient and easy to control charcoal smokers

That they are. I love using mine. Temps are easy to control. My wife says she doesn't want to know what I spent for it, lol. But so far she has been happy with all of the meat that has been cooked/smoked with it. :D

I want to go ahead and call Bologna on anyone who says charcoal is too much hassle. I can cook 12 hours on a load of coal without adjusting anything on my weber smoker. Not to take away from gas or electric, but to correct some untrue statements.

The Minion method will get you an even longer cook time on the WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain).

Also I've found I prefer using Kingsford Competition Briquettes in my smoker and regular Kingsford Blue for use in my charcoal grill.

For a thermometer I bought and like using a wireless thermometer. It has two probes - one for the smoker and one for the meat. One or both can be used. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANCXJR6/ is the model that I have.

gbrown
07-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Dad got a used Mr. Meat Smoker, I think that was the brand, back in the '70s. A vertical electric, with 3 racks (levels) and a water pan beneath the lowest one. He would put a venison roast on the middle one and some pork on the lower one. On the highest, he would put 4 chicken halves, bone side down. He'd put it on around 7 in the morning and check the water from time to time. He'd take the meat off around 5:30 or 6. It was delicious, great flavor and just fall apart. It lasted around 10 years before it burnt out. I had a Bradley for about 6 years before it burnt up. They are all ridiculously simple to use and most all give good results.

Shiloh
09-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Sealing my economy Chargriller with P-gasket, and adding an extension tube on the chimney down to the grate, REALLY helped to even out the temp.
I also have a small charcoal holder for the side away from the firebox. I found that only a couple of briquets is all it takes to maintain consistency.

SHiloh

smokeywolf
09-12-2014, 12:53 PM
You can do a lot to modify the Chargrillers to even out temp and increase smoke and heat retention.

TXGunNut
09-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Scored some St Louis style pork ribs and a couple more pork shoulder roasts this past week. Chicken thighs were on sale too. Happiness is a full freezer.

Shiloh
09-17-2014, 08:12 PM
+1 ^^

Shiloh