PDA

View Full Version : push thru lube sizer?

xpaholic
06-14-2014, 10:10 PM
hello, saw a thread about something like this that got me thinking. can a lube sizer be used as a push thru for "dry"sizing (with alox or paste wax) for powder coated boolits, if the bottom of the press is removed, I have an rcbs, along with the hardened sizer rod. can the boolit then be inserted in the press nose down and a flat top punch be used to push the boolit down thru into a container? would the flat top punch be long enough to push the boolit completely thru the sizer? thanks xp

rmatchell
06-14-2014, 10:26 PM
yes it can. I use an old lyman 450 that wouldn't hold lube. All I did was mill off the lower part and push through to a bin under the press. Then tumble lube as needed. I keep thinking about getting into powder coating for the bulk plinking boolits but haven't tried it yet.

TXGunNut
06-15-2014, 04:00 AM
Have you considered a Lee sizer?

myg30
06-15-2014, 08:26 AM
I used my 450 to push through size TL Boolits. I removed the center pin from the sizer die, the push up rod and the threaded guide. Placed Boolits nose down and just keep feeding them nose down on top of each other. You can feed nose up if you like too. Just use correct punch.
If your Boolits are way over sized and really soft they might deform. Give it a try. Best thing about cast Boolits ... There is no waste !

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-15-2014, 10:23 AM
hello, saw a thread about something like this that got me thinking. can a lube sizer be used as a push thru for "dry"sizing (with alox or paste wax) for powder coated boolits, if the bottom of the press is removed, I have an rcbs, along with the hardened sizer rod. can the boolit then be inserted in the press nose down and a flat top punch be used to push the boolit down thru into a container? would the flat top punch be long enough to push the boolit completely thru the sizer? thanks xp

I used my 450 to push through size TL Boolits. I removed the center pin from the sizer die, the push up rod and the threaded guide. Placed Boolits nose down and just keep feeding them nose down on top of each other. You can feed nose up if you like too. Just use correct punch.
If your Boolits are way over sized and really soft they might deform. Give it a try. Best thing about cast Boolits ... There is no waste !

myg30's method should work with an RCBS, but if damaging the boolit's nose is an issue, especially if sizing 'post-PC', then the nose first sizer kit from theperfessor (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?4163-theperfessor) would be the way to go.

I have that setup, Your RCBS die mounts in a adaptor die that mounts in a standard single stage reloading press, it comes with a long punch to push the boolit all the way through the die in one stoke.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158620-Sign-Up-List-for-Nose-First-Sizer-Kit-Part-2&highlight=

AND with any good luck, He may have some available soon.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?243886-Acknowledging-Reality

(http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158620-Sign-Up-List-for-Nose-First-Sizer-Kit-Part-2&highlight=)

xpaholic
06-15-2014, 11:56 AM
I have never seen the lee push thru's in person, only in video. does the second boolit push the first one thru the die? if it does, is the nose deformed during the sizing? this is why I am thinking about the lube sizers instead of the lee's. boolits will be powder coated. xp

Elkins45
06-15-2014, 03:27 PM
I have never seen the lee push thru's in person, only in video. does the second boolit push the first one thru the die? if it does, is the nose deformed during the sizing? this is why I am thinking about the lube sizers instead of the lee's. boolits will be powder coated. xp

The first bullet is lifted up and out of the die body by the next one, but the pusher rod is long enough to move the bullet past the sizing portion of the die and into a larger diameter area above. When the last bullet is sized you can unscrew the die and turn it over and the bullet will just fall out into your hand. It won't hurt the noses at all.

xpaholic
06-15-2014, 09:43 PM
ok thanks for clearing that up xp

donhuff
06-16-2014, 08:45 AM
xpaholic,

That might have been something that I posted.

Yes I use a 450 and it works really well and fast. Take off all the linkage that is used to raise the sized bullet back up out of the die, and I put a 1/4" bolt in the hole of the ram and handle. Notice the small piece of AL plate that I use as a "deflector" without it in place, bullets will pile up and cause a blockage. The plate lets them ricochet over into a box.

I make a long top punch to try and get the bullet all the way out the bottom of the die, or at least close to it. I have a lathe so it's no problem to make one. But it could be made with a drill and file, or just use a piece of 1/4" rod.

With some bullet designs and soft alloys, if you let the slugs "stack up" in the die. The force required to get the bottom one out will be too great and you will deform the bullet noses and grooves. That's why I make the long punches, and make my own die with a short sizing section, and an enlarged entrance to the die at least a pistol bullet length long. Plus that lines the bullet up, so that I don't have to hold it straight and square for the punch. This really makes the sizing go by FAST. I can go as fast as I can pick up another slug and drop it in the hole. Add a two second spray of CRC brand silicone to the pile of bullets, and it gets even easier.

xpaholic
06-16-2014, 09:26 AM
donhuff, can't see the attachments. I think I can visualize what you are talking about though. thanks xp

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Can`t see the attachments either.Robert

bangerjim
06-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Invest $18 and get one! You will never do it any other way. I have over 15 of them and they work GREAT!

And no..........nothing is deformed! Once the boolits is sized, it moves into the upper area which is much larger, so there is absolute ZERO force applied on the nose or base of the boolits once they are out of the sizing restriction at the bottom of the die.

banger

detox
06-16-2014, 03:28 PM
I size and seat gas checks nose first using my RCBS Lubrasizer. I use the matching hollow bullet punch to seat gas check evenly around base of bullet. Flat nose bullets can be fed one after another, but round nose bullets should be pushed thru completely using sizer stem before inserting next bullet.

Reassemble sizer to lube using larger sizing die