PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Prime XR is best used as a simple priming tool

ohland
06-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I was getting all slicky-slick with my 21st Century hand priming tool (uses Lee square priming trays). Was short stroking the primer in, rotating the case 1/2 turn, then seating the primer. BUT... I must have got too sneaky and let the priming ram drop far enough. A primer must have been in the ready position in that little cage. Must have bobbled it enough to flip the primer in that little cage...

Here is proof positive that if you come up with a better idiot, anything is possible. Moral of the story, use the Lee priming tool and others like it as designed. Sorta like not using a lawnmower to shear hedges...

Hosed the primer down with WD-40 and let it sit for an hour. Unmounted the seating die, swapped in the sizing die, and (with eye and ear pro) slowly pressed the primer out. Unmounted the sizing die, slipped in the M die, belled it, unshipped the M die, stuck in the seater, and loaded the last cartridge.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
06-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Sometimes we just outsmart ourselves....

zuke
06-15-2014, 05:49 AM
Where's there's a will,there's a way

Down South
06-15-2014, 08:23 PM
If you seat as many primers as I have, you will get a primer upside down sooner or larger. Of course this is using auto primer tools such as you have, or the RCBS or the primer tubes that feed many of our presses.
I never had a problem depriming a case with an upside primer and I don't use oils. I just run it back through the resize/deprime station, turn it over and use it again, this time in the correct way.

ohland
06-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Bought this Lee Auto Prime XR NIB for the primer trays. It sat in the basement for about two years before I put it to use.

I was happily priming away on 60 7-30 Waters cases, when something felt odd and sure enough...

I had been a straight man with these, no gender bender half stroke, no rotation, just chunkin' away... Closer inspection revealed that the clear plastic primer cover was not flat to the black plastic base. Most recent guess - the little safety cage works if it is flat to the base. Any play allows it to rise above a critical height where a primer can flip.

Now for my highly engineered fix.

I figure Lee can pay me a royalty of 10 cents per priming tool.... :Bright idea:

stevef
06-16-2014, 10:38 PM
that looks like the fix - i have noticed the lid does work up a bit & then if you arent paying attention you get the flipped primer

MGySgt
06-17-2014, 12:27 PM
That is why I like my older model with the round tray. You give it a slight twist and it locks into place. Still breaking it in as it is about 35 years old and has loaded 10's of 1,000 of primers.

Maximumbob54
06-17-2014, 12:46 PM
FWIW, my RCBS hand primer tool's tray has the lid that doesn't fit flush with the tray. I've not loaded one upside down yet but I've caught several.

noylj
06-17-2014, 02:39 PM
And this is better than priming on the press?

Back when I had the horrible RCBS RockChucker, I bought an RCBS bench-mounted priming tool. It was great. Fast, positive, and never had a flipped primer. Continued to use it with my Co-Ax press. Then, I got the very first Hornady progressive and put the priming tool away and never looked back.

ohland
06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
And this is better than priming on the press?

Dunno. I have nothing against single priming. My collection includes a Raiha or two, this 21st Century tool, and an RCBS benchtop tool (lachmiller inspired). Not thrilled by priming on a press, it always seemed a pretty crude affair.

Bullshop Junior
06-17-2014, 05:05 PM
If you seat as many primers as I have, you will get a primer upside down sooner or larger. Of course this is using auto primer tools such as you have, or the RCBS or the primer tubes that feed many of our presses.
I never had a problem depriming a case with an upside primer and I don't use oils. I just run it back through the resize/deprime station, turn it over and use it again, this time in the correct way.

Yep. I do it all the time. I've only ever had one go off. A shotgun primer that had been in a bucket or water for 2 months.

gray wolf
06-19-2014, 09:56 PM
For some real fun try the new Lyman EZ-Prime, I suggest trying it next to an open window so you don't have to walk to far when you pitch it.

Best piece of well built Junk I have seen in a long time.

A pause for the COZ
06-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Dunno. I have nothing against single priming. My collection includes a Raiha or two, this 21st Century tool, and an RCBS benchtop tool (lachmiller inspired). Not thrilled by priming on a press, it always seemed a pretty crude affair.

Me too, I am a off the press guy. Dont get me wrong I will do it if I have too.
Say I need a 100 9mm real fast and I am out of prepped cases. Then I will do them on the Hornady.
I just have never felt comfortable priming on the down stroke.
But I totally understand the guys who want to. My buddy finally upgraded to the Hornady LNL AP.
He stated as we talked about priming. That if he could not prime and load all at one time. He would sell it and go back to the turret press.

I am totally the opposite. While I have 5 operations going on. The last thing I want to worry about is a primer.
I want the top end of my press to have my attention, not some thing I cant see or feel.

I too have a Century tool the BR priming tool. I love it for small batches. I have tried non better.

But for volume. I ether use a RCBS bench top APS tool or a LEE Auto prime 2.
I keep my pistol calibers sized and primed by the coffee can full ready to load.
Just grab a can and go.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9304_zpsdb7a4fe6.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9322_zps06d08160.jpg

r1kk1
06-22-2014, 06:48 PM
I have one hand held priming tool. K&M Deluxe with primer seating gauge. I also may use the one on my CO-AX, Ultramag or 550 depending on task and/or mood.

i really like the K&M tool. I will see if 21st Century shellholders will fit it.

take care

r1kk1

Artful
06-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Moral of the story, use the Lee priming tool and others like it as designed. Sorta like not using a lawnmower to shear hedges...

Wait, what's wrong with using a lawnmower to trim bushes?
http://www.farmshow.com/images/resize.php?w=300&img=/images/articles/34/5/10364_l.jpg
http://www.farmshow.com/images/resize.php?w=300&img=/images/articles/23/1/19426_l.jpg
or did you mean it's just overboard...
https://malialitman.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/lawn-mower-hedge-trimmer.jpg

MGySgt
06-23-2014, 09:32 PM
No - he means to use the tool as it was designed to be used. There has been a lot said against this priming tool, mostly that they break easy. Most of them are shocked when you ask them if they lubed it like the instructions state. As stated earlier - mine has been going strong for 35 years - I just did 1,000 45 acp's the other night - no hic-ups!

ohland
06-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Wait, what's wrong with using a lawnmower to trim bushes?

There is a low level form of life, called lawyers. There have been lawsuits won (supposedly) by people that used their push mower to trim hedges. Buy a ladder lately? Enough warnings for you?

:twisted:

dragonrider
06-24-2014, 09:54 PM
When not using my Dillon 650 the Lee Autoprime II is my tool of choice. If anyone wants to sell one or two or three I will buy them.

ohland
06-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Using my modified Lee square tray retention device (based on MONTHS of petaflop computing!) I primed 60 7-30 Waters cases with zee-row flipped primers. So if you want to enjoy correctly fed primers from your Lee square primer trays, send a SASE and a double sawbuck USPS MO to me and I'll send you a real rubber band to fasten things down.

:happy dance:

MGySgt
06-26-2014, 10:39 AM
I wonder who on here knows what a 'Saw Buck' is?????

Down South
06-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Oh, probably a few. Some of the younger may know the other definition.

ohland
06-26-2014, 10:27 PM

Hadn't quite thought of that. 8 Track? Cassette? Laser Disc? 8" Floppy? 5.25" Floppy? 3.5" Floppy?

Garyshome
06-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Dillon!!!! The lee sits in it's box waiting...........