PDA

View Full Version : Will wrinkles shoot?'

JBMauser
09-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Well I picked up an old new to me 8mm mold. I cleaned it with electrial equipment spray, could not find my carb cleaner. There must be some solvent in it as it produced wrinkles. I kept the mould going as my main effort for the session cooled. Some filled out nicely, I only ask because I read of a test where bullet bases were filed off on one side and the critters still shot. Are wrinkles like dirty brass, no one wants to think they will shoot straight but ....JB Also can someone tell me how to use a hand dipper and pull away when it is full and still leave a sprue. I can only get a smear and a suck down. I went back to bottom pour. a frustrated JB

NVcurmudgeon
09-12-2005, 12:53 AM
JB, I haven't shot any "wrinkles." My friend Nevada Duke calls them "raisins." The reason I don't shoot raisins is that I shoot on a public range and I'm afraid somebody will see me! If you are plagued by oil or solvent in a mould, try scrubbing it with boiling water and laundry detergent.

I ladle cast all my boolits. The method I use with one or two cavity moulds is to turn the mould so the cavity is sideways, connect the dipper, rotate the mould and dipper ALMOST upright (very slight down angle away from myself,) left dipper slightly, then rotate dipper away as soon as a good sprue is formed, then bump handle hinge (never mould blocks) on edge of pot to settle. This is hard to describe, easy to do in one continuous motion. Alloy a bit hotter helps.

David R
09-12-2005, 05:29 AM
I wouldn't shoot wrinkled boolits unless I just wanted to see the gun go BANG. I doube they will shoot verry good groups.

When I used a ladel, I poured out of the ladel into the mold from an inch up. No wonder all I use now is bottom pour.

David

Bass Ackward
09-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Are wrinkles like dirty brass, no one wants to think they will shoot straight

JB,

The answer to your questions I ask more questions. How accurate is accurate? And how far?

I took wrinkled bullets that still had a well sized front driving band and got 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards in 35 and 45 bores. Bullets were within 5 grains of good cast weight. I was driving these around and above 2000 fps. Can't tell you about slower stuff. I say that because handguns had a more dramatic negative effect even though I checked for good bases on PB designs.

JBMauser
09-12-2005, 06:02 PM
good info all, distance 100 yards, how accurate?? able to hit what you are shooting at I suppose. I think I will seperate the good from the rasins and work them all up and see what comes of it. I will have to work on the ladel a bit. I think I get it. I was tipping the spout up, sticking the sprue hole into the spout rotating counter clockwise to fill and reversing so that when I pulle them apart there was no sprue but a streak and then the dredded "Suck hole" so I would drop in a second shot which of course never works. Thanks, JB