PDA

View Full Version : How much lead so I need?

spurgon
01-16-2008, 10:32 PM
.........just considerin'.
I'm new here neglected to introduce myself 'till now.
I haven't melted my first ww yet, but I'm studying the pages and learning alot. Iwant to cast for the obsolete calibers. I got maybee 400 # now.
spurgon

NVcurmudgeon
01-16-2008, 10:38 PM
I haven't melted my first ww yet, but I'm studying the pages and learning alot. Iwant to cast for the obsolete calibers. I got maybee 400 # now.
spurgon

Welcome to the board, Spurgon. You have plenty of lead right now. Please send any you get in the future to NVcurmudgeon, Pleasant Valley, NV.

NSP64
01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
That's one of those retoricle questions......
How much is too much? How big is the universe? Is there Santa?How many licks to get to the tootsie roll center?
Some answers we may never know!!!!:-D
Welcome:drinks:

NSP64
01-16-2008, 10:42 PM
spurgon

If your reloading for an 8" howitzer you have enough for 2 rounds. If not you have enough to start:mrgreen:

mtgrs737
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
The answer to that question is like the answer to this question: How many guns do you have?

My standard answer is: " More than I need but less than I want!"

The way that I look at is that if you can get it cheap enough and it doesn't keep you from putting a roof over your families head or food on the table and you mostly likely will be able to sell it later at a profit (if you feel like it) then more is better. You know that the bank isn't going to pay you as much as the inflation rate on you money anyway.

Mtgrs737

Blackhawk Convertable
01-16-2008, 11:39 PM
I started with 30#. You are way ahead of that.

jdhenry
01-17-2008, 04:17 AM
As much as you can get your hands on!!!! And then some:)

OLPDon
01-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Spurgon:

If you are a Hunter, when do you stop Hunting? If you are a Fisherman when do you stop Fishing? If you collect stamps ect. Ask your Girlfriend, Wife or both if they have enough Pocketbooks or Shoes?

Don

PS The latter question: Is also the reply you give them, when they ask you. "Why do you need another Pistol, Rifle or Shotgun?"

Guido4198
01-17-2008, 06:33 AM
As you might have already noticed from the previous responses...the consensus here is that 1.) you already have enough to get started and 2.) You can't have too much.
The one thing I can add is that in a lifetime of casting (my Dad started me out helping him back in the 1950's) I can absolutely assure you that the raw materials for this hobby never get cheaper, OR easier to come by. That said,if you should ever find a "mother-lode" more that you can possibly handle...you won't have to look far to find some casting buddies to help take it off your hands..!!
Best Wishes..and ENJOY...!!

1Papalote
01-17-2008, 06:39 AM
I would gather all the lead I could store. It will cost you nothing to let it set in a corner of the shop or barn, especially if you are paying nothing for the lead. I have over 1000# of WW and I keep looking for more. If you decide that casting is not for you, you can sell the accumulation. You win both ways.

I am collecting brass, primers, lead, bullets and powder for all calibers I load. Lead, brass and bullets seldom go bad, primers last for 10+ years and I have never lost a can of powder to degradation. Stock it up!! You'll be glad you did.

1Papalote

Bigscot
01-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Spurgon,

Welcome to the Mad House. If you stick around and are not careful, you might learn something. And this is the place to learn all about boolits.

Where abouts in the Piedmont are you from? I'm from Greensboro and now live outside of Raleigh.

Bigscot