PDA

View Full Version : J.E. Gebby 1903 Springfield Action "22 Varminter Bull Barrel"

birch
06-14-2014, 12:19 AM
A local gun shop has a neat ol' gun that I can't quit thinking about.

It is a 1,000,000 range Springfield 1903 reciever, but it has a super heavy bull barrel marked 22 varmenter and J.E. Gebby underneath. The stock looks like a Pre-64 Bull barrel stock that has been reworked and inletted for the 1903 floorplate and receiver.

I cant find much information, and the info I did find only mentions post WWII Mauser Actions as a build. I am wondering if any of you have any information on this configuration or have heard anything more than the average feller can find on the net in a couple of hours of searching. I know he didnt make very many of any configuration. This in number 461 if the number on the barrel is correct. I know the chamber was cast, and it is indeed a 22-250 chamber and throat. The barrel has not been slugged and there are no marks on the receiver itself except for the normal springfield proofmarks. The serial number on the receiver was a little strange. The "3's" on the receiver had a neat little scroll on the ends of the three stampings. Almost like they were hand embellished.

Any help is appreciated.

gnoahhh
06-14-2014, 09:44 AM
A pic of the questionable serial numbers would be a big help.

Gebby was the first champion of the .22-250 (he called it the .22 Varminter), and actually took out a copyright on the cartridge dimensions and name which was by and large ignored. Some sources credit him stealing the idea from Niedner, or Donaldson, or whomever. It matters not. Gebby was a first rate mechanic, and used barrels supplied by the very best makers at the time (although I never heard mention he employed any Pope barrels). As far as I can tell also, he was a metalsmith and didn't do much if any stock making. He was a tool and die maker for, I believe, GM and eventually went to gun work full time, and then faded away.

Unless you want to add a gun built by a known maker to your collection, the standard rules for buying any used high velocity .22 centerfire apply: throat condition and bore wear. Remember, that barrel is probably 70 years old at least and god only knows how many shots it has endured and how well it was maintained. Personally, I would snag it if it were priced reasonably (which only you and your wallet can know) and the bore was decent. But then again I've flirted with the wildcatters of the 30's-40's a fair amount and would like to see it beside my other specimens from that era. All in all a fairly important piece of .22 wildcat history. Not to mention it should shoot very well too.

birch
06-15-2014, 12:56 AM
The throat looks brand new. The only thing I am particularly worried about is the springfield receiver as I have heard that he mostly worked with mausers.

The work he (or someone) did on the stock is very poor indeed. It is one ugly gun--but looks very functional. In fact, it looks like he used a gouge of some sort to knock down some of the comb to get the 03 bolt out of the end of the receiver.

I too like the old stuff, and figure that tomorrow should be a make it or break it day. I'll send you some pics if I end up getting it.

Thanksf for the info

gnoahhh
06-15-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm sure Gebby used whatever action the customer wanted. Mine is a Winchester HiWall, but in R-2 Lovell. (He didn't do just .22 Varminters, but they are what he's best known for.)