PDA

View Full Version : someone HELP ME! (DECAPPING issues.)

mozeppa
06-14-2014, 12:15 AM
i have a relatively new dillon 650xl.
also have dillons newest dynamic die set in 44 mag.

an rcbs die set and lee die set ............and several lee universal decapping dies.

now for the problem....

does not matter which decap die i use in "station 1" they all re-size the brass at the same time...(with the exception of the universal decap dies)
and starting with the first stroke...i can't get the brass to line up with the decap/re-size die.

the mouth of the brass catches on the very edge of the die. if i reach in there and tip the top of the shell case towards the center of the shell plate it will go in.

and i've broken 7 de-cap pins in the process. (all different brands) some bent into a u shape ...others just broke.

i even used the de-cap die out of a 45 long colt to forego the sizing operation over to station 3. ( this press is dedicated to preparing brass for re-loading ...no other pupose....there is no powder die or primer station on it at all.

and it bent the decap pin into a u as well...............no.....there isn't any berdan style brass in my possession

if there was a slight bevel or belled cut at the bottom of the sizer die i think it would work.... the reason i say this is because when it catches, (every case) it only needs to be tipped only 1/32" ...then it goes in.

can a carbide die be chamfered?

what would i use?

how do i get it as smooth as it once was?

is there something else i'm doing wrong?

VHoward
06-14-2014, 12:41 AM
You say relatively new. As in new to you, but used? If this machine did not come to you from Dillon, then it might need to be re-aligned. Call Dillon on Monday and they will help you trouble shoot and send you a re-alignment tool and instructions for free.

What you describe is an alignment problem.

billyb
06-14-2014, 12:46 AM
check to make sure you have the right shell plate-check clean the shell plate groves what hold the rim of the shell, look for burrs.

9w1911
06-14-2014, 01:14 AM
I think you have the die set too deep, I have to tip the case into the sizer on my 550 when the size die is set to deep and maybe you are breaking pins on the shell plate?

finishman2000
06-14-2014, 08:00 AM
more than likely you (the press) isn't placing the case all the way into the shell plate. there is an adjustment on the case feeder to fix this.

John J
06-14-2014, 08:07 AM
go to dillons web site find manuals 650 read page 40 on how to adjust the case feed fig 188 to 193

could be that your not fully pushing the case into the shell plate.

hope this helps

John J

jakharath
06-14-2014, 08:09 AM
If it's not alignment, do you have the correct locator pins installed?

500MAG
06-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Whatever you do, don't get frustrated and end up making something worse. Dillion's guarantee covers even used presses. The problem can be taken care of and if you can't figure it out with the suggestions given, you can send it to them for realignment for free. Just may have to wait.

jakharath
06-14-2014, 08:19 AM
Dillon is open today till noon Arizona time.

1-800-223-4570

Artful
06-14-2014, 08:37 AM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4368735
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab170/jepp2/DillonAlignmentTool.jpg
(http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4368735)

mozeppa
06-14-2014, 05:34 PM
the press is new...shell plate is new...no burrs....correct pins.

called dillon ....they say the black shell pusher is pushing too hard on shell case, jamming the case in with the mouth tipped outward.

they are gonna send me an alignment tool and instructions.

life is on hold now.:violin:

Down South
06-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Sounds like an alignment problem to me. I have two Dillon's and every once in a while, I will have to help a case into the decaping resizing die. If not, I crush the case.