PDA

View Full Version : 38 S&W data for Trailboss Powder.

Twmaster
06-13-2014, 08:01 PM
I've seen a lot of folks asking about load data for 38 S&W ammo. Most of the loads I've tried have been pathetically weak. I've even had boolits stick in the bore with some of the published recipes.

While visiting a store I don't usually get to stop in I found a jar of Trailboss. As I shoot lead in my revolvers I'd give it a try.

I found this page on Hodgdon's web site: http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/trailboss.php

Since 38 Colt Short is practically the same cartridge I used that data as a start.

So I got some boolits and cases ready and loaded a couple of different loads.

The pistol used is a S&W 33-1 4" barrel.

First was 150 grain SWC (I think a Lyman mould) with 1.7 grains of TB.

These shot to point of aim at 7 yards.

Next, some heavy pills that are cast as copies of the 200 grain round the British used in their 38 S&W/Webley and Enfield guns. I used the same 1.7 grain load of powder.

These shot high. But not by much.

Both loads gave good safe performance and were fun to shoot.

The other nice thing was the TB powder is big and fluffy enough that it worked in my powder dispenser on the turret press.

Hopefully this is some use.

Keep shooting!

tazman
06-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Always good to see a powder/cartridge combination confirmed as working.
I recently got some trail boss but haven't loaded any of it yet. I may need to do that soon.

Bzcraig
06-13-2014, 10:03 PM
I use it for plinking almost exclusively in 38spl with the Lee 105 swc. I haven't yet loaded in 30-30 but will soon.

CGT80
06-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Trail boss is a little more expensive than powders like red dot, but the bulk is great. Trail boss worked fine for my 30-06 bolt gun, but red dot was cheaper and gave a little more velocity. Now, I just use the trail boss for a bunny fart in my revolver-A 270 grain boolit, plain base, over 10.0 grains of trail boss. I can hit steel at 100 yards and I could shoot it all day. The chrono says it is around 1,000 fps. Red dot would just get lost in that brass, where trail boss fills it up to 70% of the volume below the boolit.

wellfedirishman
06-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Trailboss is the best powder around for light loads. I use it in everything from 45/70 to 38 special with great results.

koyote
06-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Trailboss is great stuff for range and target, light hunting, and even short barrel carry loads (if you do that.)

Most of my friends who haven't looked at it always assume it's a slow powder- it's a FAST powder. I'm not trusting my .38 special data right now form some reason I need to post about, but in .44 special I tend to get better performance out of trailboss than unique or HS6 for a snubbie.

Because .22 is stupid to find in quantity and I have 4 kids to cycle through (two shooting now) I convinced my 10 year old to try out the 1915 colt army special I picked up. (major cool factor for him, and a 5 inch barrel) - and he shoots that with trailboss low end loads and is doing a fine job knicking down steel plates. cheaper to reload than buy marked up .22LR!

with a 125gr copper plated from Xtreme at 1.450COL with 4.2gr TB (I'm talking .38 special, you'll have to modify) it makes a handy small game loading. 687fps average in a 4 inch Colt official police.

Lance Boyle
06-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Trailboss is great stuff for range and target, light hunting, and even short barrel carry loads (if you do that.)

Most of my friends who haven't looked at it always assume it's a slow powder- it's a FAST powder. I'm not trusting my .38 special data right now form some reason I need to post about, but in .44 special I tend to get better performance out of trailboss than unique or HS6 for a snubbie.

Because .22 is stupid to find in quantity and I have 4 kids to cycle through (two shooting now) I convinced my 10 year old to try out the 1915 colt army special I picked up. (major cool factor for him, and a 5 inch barrel) - and he shoots that with trailboss low end loads and is doing a fine job knicking down steel plates. cheaper to reload than buy marked up .22LR!

with a 125gr copper plated from Xtreme at 1.450COL with 4.2gr TB (I'm talking .38 special, you'll have to modify) it makes a handy small game loading. 687fps average in a 4 inch Colt official police.

I'm betting the lad has a bigger smile too! Good job!

Virginia John
07-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Trail Boss is really good for lead. The bulk, I believe, helps stabilize the boolit in flight. I use it under 158gr lead SWC.