PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Disk Pro on 1000 Pro press question.

Twmaster
06-13-2014, 07:45 PM
I've been using a Lee Auto Disk powder dispenser on my Lee Classic Cast Turret for years.

I'm getting a used Pro 1000 press from a buddy. Looking at the instructions I see where they want you to install a pull chain to actuate the powder drop.

I'm confused. As I'm using lee dies on my presses shouldn't the dispenser just work by the normal upstroke of the ram pushing on the insert in the die to actuate the dispenser? What am I misunderstanding here?

Thanks.

Idz
06-13-2014, 07:51 PM
It does drop the powder on the upstroke. To reset it the chain pulls on the lever to retract the disk and refill it for the next cartridge.

Twmaster
06-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Why would it need the chain to reset? It works by a return spring built into the dispenser when used on my other presses.

Finster101
06-13-2014, 08:05 PM
If it's the one with the spring built on to it, it will work fine. The Pro disc is the one that uses the chain, which is junk. (The chain) I have replaced the chain on mine with springs from the hardware store. Much easier to deal with.

Twmaster
06-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Er, the Pro has the return spring. I have two of them. The 1000 press comes with an Auto Disk Pro (at least I think it's a Pro). If that's the case it still makes no sense.

35remington
06-13-2014, 09:35 PM
It does indeed work like you are figuring. I use the 1000 with my Pro Auto Disk all the time. No chain. Works fine.

Read the following information on the linked site:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/129819/lee-positive-pull-back-lever-and-chain-converts-spring-operated-auto-disk-powder-measure-to-pull-back-type-for-pro-1000-load-master

It's just a conversion to prevent double stroking and double charging a case. You don't have to use it.

aspangler
06-13-2014, 11:21 PM
IDZ is correct. I have a 100 in 9mm and that is how it works. If you change the measure to the auto disk ( not the pro) it will reset on the downstroke. The Auto Disk Pro does not have the spring to reset on the downstroke so it has to have the chain to reset. If you do break the chain, go to Wally World and get a light fixture pull chain and use what you need. A 24 inch chain will last you a LONG time.

Twmaster
06-14-2014, 02:22 AM
Ok, Not to be contrarian but both of my Auto Disk PRO dispensers have the return spring.

As such the short answer is I don't need the pull chain.

44Vaquero
06-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Twmaster,

You are correct you do not need to use the "Chain" the is nothing wrong with the "Spring". The chain reset was developed for use on the progressives to avoid double charges from short stroking the press. Follow rule #1 of progressive's "always work the lever stop to stop", and you will be just fine.

I have used both on my Pro's and LM's and prefer the spring.

35remington
06-14-2014, 12:19 PM
I think I said all that already, and provided a link to verify it. The Pro works and can work with a spring as well. Worry no further about it, and forget the durn chain if you don't want to use it.

Twmaster
06-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Twmaster,

You are correct you do not need to use the "Chain" the is nothing wrong with the "Spring". The chain reset was developed for use on the progressives to avoid double charges from short stroking the press. Follow rule #1 of progressive's "always work the lever stop to stop", and you will be just fine.

I have used both on my Pro's and LM's and prefer the spring.

Ok, I se why Lee would use a chain setup on a press like the 1000. I use the Auto Disk Pro on my 4 hole turret all the time and have learned to not ever short stroke.

I think I said all that already, and provided a link to verify it. The Pro works and can work with a spring as well. Worry no further about it, and forget the durn chain if you don't want to use it.

I'm not sure why but some of you keep insisting the Auto Disk Pro does not come with a return spring. Um, yes, it does. installed from the factory. Both of my AD-Pro dispensers have this spring installed out of the box.

The only thing I can think of is the AD-Pro included with the Lee progressive presses has the spring omitted.

For now, thank you for the replies. I have the answer I sought.

When my new-to-me Pro 1000 gets here I'll be checking the AD-Pro that is coming with it. I'm curious to see if it has the return spring.

44Vaquero
06-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Twmaster,

You are correct ordered as a single unit Lee supplies both types of Levers, a complete progressive press is shipped with the chain pull only as I recall.

Moonie
06-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Another thing to think about, I've had the spring bind and not return causing some rounds to not get powder.

44Vaquero
06-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Mooni,

There is a rib on the underside of the casting sometimes needs to be relieved if it infers with the spring. I did mine with a Dremel using a 3/8 sanding drum, it does not take much.

enfieldphile
06-16-2014, 03:08 PM
You are correct ordered as a single unit Lee supplies both types of Levers, a complete progressive press is shipped with the chain pull only as I recall.

When I got one, 8 or 9 years ago, it had both levers. The pull chain lever was the one installed @ the factory. I just had to switch levers and install the spring for use in the Classic Cast Turret press.

Idz
06-16-2014, 03:26 PM
With my Lee Pro-1000 the chain on my Pro-Auto-Disk (90429) keep getting tangled and breaking, especially with the bullet feeder attached, so I replaced the chain with a piece of steel wire, and also constructed a new tab on the shellplate carrier that attached on the primer-lockout mounting screw. Then to prevent a double-charge if short stroking the press I attached a spring tab that catches and holds the Auto-Disk lever so it can't reset until the ram is fully retracted.
The return spring on the lever method resets the lever immediately after the case is retracted so if you short stroke the press you can get a double charge.

35remington
06-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Tmaster I never said it did not come with a spring. I said you did not have to use the chain.

Reread what I posted.

Moonie
06-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Mooni,

There is a rib on the underside of the casting sometimes needs to be relieved if it infers with the spring. I did mine with a Dremel using a 3/8 sanding drum, it does not take much.

I'll look into this, thank you 44Vaquero

Mohillbilly
06-17-2014, 05:19 PM
I had a buddy buy me a new pro 1000 in 9mm and after a year , I gave it back to him . the primers would not drop when it should . That was aggravating cleaning spilled powder and getting the thing together .