PDA

View Full Version : Uburti

starmac
06-13-2014, 07:07 PM
I probably mispelled that bad, but what is a saa replica in 45 colt worth 5 1/2 in barrel, and are they good revolvers?

Beagle333
06-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Uberti makes a great revolver. It depends on which model, as to how much it's worth. They make several cowboy 6-shooters.
The 1873 Cattleman Hombre is one nice model in .45 that is selling for $399 (on sale) right now at Bass Pro.

bedbugbilly
06-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Google "Uberti Firearms" and you'll find their offerings and prices - or Google "Cimarron Firearms" as they are also Uberti.

Uberti makes a good handgun. I have had several cap and ball revolvers made by them. I mainly shoot '51 Navies and have owned quite a few different makes over the years. I presently have a Uberti '51 Navy and it is a great shooting revolver. Good quality all the way through and have never had any issues with any of them.

As Beagle333 mentions, the 1873 Cattleman Hombre is a nice revolver. I'm looking at one in 357 as well as one of their 1872 Open Tops. Either of the two sites I mentioned above will give you an idea of their offerings and MSRP. Used ones can be had at cheaper prices I'm sure if you look around and there are often "deals" to be found for new ones as well.

littlejack
06-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Bought my Uberti (Cimmaron) "Evil Roy" model saa a few years back. It is very well built, fit and finish are very nice. Shoots
very well.
I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Regards
Jack

Vulcan Bob
06-14-2014, 12:38 PM
I shot the snot out of two box stock Uberti Thunderers in .45 Colt for six years in SASS with full factory spec power loads with zero problems. My rifle was an Uberti, also no problems. I can recommend them with no reservations.

stephenj
06-14-2014, 01:32 PM
i have 15,000 plus rounds threw my cattleman . still going strong

wrench man
06-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Bought the GF one about two years ago, she shoots the **** out of it!, even at the current price of 22LR I think it's still cheaper than 45 Colt!??;-)

9.3X62AL
06-14-2014, 04:00 PM
I have owned 2 Uberti Cattleman SAA clones, both 4-3/4" barrels, one each in 45 Colt and 44-40 WCF. I still have the latter example, paid $430 OTD in Jan. 2013 IIRC. Both revolvers shot right to their sights with "standard" loads, and as accurately as any Colt original. I own one of those, too--in 32-20 WCF. I would buy another Cattleman in a heartbeat.

Bello
06-14-2014, 04:03 PM
They are not really good firearms imho

CPL Lou
06-14-2014, 04:31 PM
My Uberti 1st model Dragoon at 25 yards. 40grs FFFg Swiss, cast round ball:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/CPL_Lou1/imagejpg1_zps5542ead1.jpg

str8wal
06-15-2014, 12:00 AM
They are not really good firearms imho

Please feel free to elaborate Bello

AlaskanGuy
06-15-2014, 12:04 AM
I think you need that gun Milty.... That way we can compare notes.... You with this 45, and me with that dragoon... We can retake the west... :)

crazy mark
06-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Google "Uberti Firearms" and you'll find their offerings and prices - or Google "Cimarron Firearms" as they are also Uberti.

Uberti makes a good handgun. I have had several cap and ball revolvers made by them. I mainly shoot '51 Navies and have owned quite a few different makes over the years. I presently have a Uberti '51 Navy and it is a great shooting revolver. Good quality all the way through and have never had any issues with any of them.

As Beagle333 mentions, the 1873 Cattleman Hombre is a nice revolver. I'm looking at one in 357 as well as one of their 1872 Open Tops. Either of the two sites I mentioned above will give you an idea of their offerings and MSRP. Used ones can be had at cheaper prices I'm sure if you look around and there are often "deals" to be found for new ones as well.

My open top 1872 is 38 spl. Never saw one in 357 however. That might be a fun one. Mark

freebullet
06-15-2014, 01:29 AM
I've never cared much for replicas.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2014, 02:23 AM
I've never cared much for replicas.

I don't see $1000 worth of value in a Colt that a Uberti reproduction doesn't also offer at 1/3 the price. For all practical purposes, they are identical and can share most parts. I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter--so my valuation is based differently than would be a Colt enthusiast's. Building SAAs isn't nuclear physics, either. I can't justify the outlay for a Colt when a very similar Uberti costs 1/3 of that tariff, and a much stronger Ruger BH is half or less a Colt's price. I'm a firm believer in "how much gun I get per dollar I spend", a concept that explains much about the relative sizes and market shares of the three makers under discussion in this post.

bedbugbilly
06-15-2014, 08:04 AM
crazy mark . . . . you are SOOOOOOO right! They don't make the 1872 open top in 357. I went back and read my post and discovered that I hadn't written it very well! I meant the Cattleman in 357 - the 1872 open top is in 38 Colt Long/38 Special. THAT is the one I'm eyeing up.

i mainly shoot 39 spec. and rarely shoot .357. I want one of the '72 open tops to play around with not only for 38 spl. but for using 38 Colt Short and 38 Colt Long in.

My "fapoo" as they say . . . I should have said it in a different way so as not to infer that the 1872 open top is available in 357 - which it isn't. :-)

Just curious - what barrel length did you go with on your '72 open top? Any problems with the sedge loosening up while firing? I have never heard of any issues with the open tops - I have shot 1851 Navies for close to 50 years so am very familiar and comfortable with open tops. Thanks!

hightime
06-15-2014, 01:01 PM
I have a couple Colts and several Uberti, I like the Uberti just fine.
as Colt value comes from mostly from name, it's time to stop shooting them and shoot Uberti.

BruceB
06-15-2014, 01:29 PM
NVCurmudgeon has a new Ubderti/Cimarron replica of the Richards-Mason conversion. This is an 1851 Navy, 7.5" barrel, converted to .38 Special.

The gun shoots like a dream, with a nice trigger and deadly accuracy to fifty yards and beyond.

Being based on the '51 Navy, this is also an "open-top" revolver. You might want to compare it to the '72 model mentioned in this thread.

I am very impressed with the Uberti guns I've used, handled or owned.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2014, 02:12 PM
I have a couple Colts and several Uberti, I like the Uberti just fine.
as Colt value comes from mostly from name, it's time to stop shooting them and shoot Uberti.

Hightime--you said better what I meant above. Thank you! I don't forecast a total stoppage of Colt-shooting, but the Ubertis and Rugers will get more range time than the Rampant Samuels get.

lbaize3
06-15-2014, 05:35 PM
I have eight of the little dickens. Four w/ 5 and a half inch bbls and two with 3 inch barrels in 45 Colt. I have two more 5 and 1/2 inch bbls in 32-20. All are wonderful and very accurate with the right load. The right load for the 45 Colt can be 5.8 grains of Trail Boss or 7.5 grains of Universal Clays pushing a 250 gain RF boolit. The right load for the 32-20 is 3.9 grains of Red Dot pushing a 113 grain cast boolit. (Don't use my loads without checking them in a manual first. Old minds have muddy memories....)

By the way, I have never had a single problem with any of my Uberti pistols or rifle...

beezapilot
06-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, a nice old fella at the range gave me a .44Mag Cattleman, I cleaned it, loaded 100 light rounds and headed out to the range. Nope... It don't run as smooth as a 3 screw BlackHawk, it don't have adjustable sights, it don't feel near as solid as a Mod. 29, but it was plenty of fun. I think in the price range they are sold in they are worth the money based on my limited experience with it. I have no plans of redlining loads with it- but at the .44 special level it was great.

hightime
06-15-2014, 06:44 PM
107892107891Can I use this post to show off my fav. Uberti? It actually has a Beretta name on it, but we know where it came from.

35 Whelen
06-16-2014, 02:24 AM
I have several of them and have tuned a few more. They're fantastic revolvers! I bought a used one in .44-40, fitted a .44 Special cylinder to it and have proceeded to shoot the every loving snot out of it. Judging on my primer usage, I'd estimate a minimum of 3000 rounds of fairly heavy SWC loads out of this one revolver alone. It still shoots 4" groups @ 50 yds. day in, day out.
On the other hand I have a 3rd Generation Colt SAA, brand new in the box. Recently I took it out of the safe and toyed with the idea of shooting it. I pulled back the hammer and noticed the rough, gritty feel of the action....pondering installing a spring kit and tuning it as I have several Uberti's, then had to wonder what would be the point of doing this to a $1200 revolver when there's nothing it would do that my Uberti's won't!

35W

06-16-2014, 11:00 PM
I looked at a 357 single action today used $475 really liked it but I thought that was a little high. It had about a 3-3.5 inch barrel. I looked at a used top break 38 sp. about a month ago $800. Liked it a lot also.

DrCaveman
06-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Interesting how the supporters have a bunch to say. The naysayers are one-liners with very few posts on this board. I think that says a lot, id rather listen to someone who has done some testing and some thinking, than an apparent fanboy of competitors guns whose opinion may have been well entrenched prior to even shooting the gun.

(preaching to the choir) Guns are for shooting, first and foremost. I really like my Pietta new frontier, i think it has a lot in common with the uberti's. This thread has got me pondering a Uberti in 44 spl. I think the frame/cylinder size and strength would do nicely.

Thanks for all the informative reviews, sorry i cant be of more direct help. But all i can say is that those italians are making pretty decent guns

06-17-2014, 12:31 AM
Only thing I didn't like are the extra markings on the barrel. I guess "importing stamps". Although I have never fired one they do appear well made and I will own one someday.

Grapeshot
06-17-2014, 08:33 AM
I prefer my Uberti 5.5 inch Artillery model to my 7.5 inch Colt 2nd Gen SAA. The Uberti has been through multiple CAS Matches without a glitch, but on the Colt Hammer broke the half cock notch less than a year after I got it. Had to recut the notch and it only lasted a couple of years before I had to replace the entire hammer. That is not what I had bargained for with a Colt SAA.

Green Frog
06-17-2014, 09:18 AM
At the Taylor & Co Open House last month (they are big Uberti sellers) they had a fast draw demo set up (wax bullets and shotgun primer in special cases) and guess what we shot fast and repeatedly? You got it, out of the box Uberti single action clones. That's what a lot of the fast draw competitors use and they get a lot of potential action wear, as you would guess. I would be confident to purchase any of the Ubertis if I wanted to shoot it a lot. Not a great investment for the brand name, but as a shooting tool it would be hard to beat.

Froggie

rhead
06-17-2014, 12:25 PM
I have both a Cattleman and a Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. Both shoot great. I would not hesitate to pick up another one of either brand.

I did have to fire lap the Cattleman to get it to shoot as well as the Blackhawk did when I got it. both were bought used so the Blackhawk may have been lapped by the previous owner. IMHO the Ruger is a better gun but the Cattleman was a slightly better buy. Fire lapping is not that big of a deal.

There are shooters who consider the difference in the prices to be a significant amount of money.

stephenj
06-17-2014, 12:28 PM
i love my uberti .. and that shows in how much i have used it over the years .
but there is one thing to keep in mind with all single action armies ... be it a colt or a clone
they can be rather delicate creatures ... dont buy one without expecting to have to do some
minor repairs at one time or another ... no matter whose name is on it .

robertbank
06-17-2014, 01:55 PM
I own three of them and they are excellent revolvers IMHO. They are well made and for the price...what can I say that has not been said already. The El Patron is a step up for those with aging eyes. The rear notch is wider with a wider front sight. The Beretta Stampede - Beretta owns Uberti - should have the barrel turned or the rear notch widened on one side as it shoots an inch to the right off a rest with all loads I have run through it. My Cattleman has been excellent. I would like to get a 38spl chambered Uberti in an open top just because. I would recommend, as most have, any of their guns. They are well made by folks who know how to assemble firearms. They have been at it for a very long time.

Take Care

Bob

9.3X62AL
06-17-2014, 01:57 PM
i love my uberti .. and that shows in how much i have used it over the years .
but there is one thing to keep in mind with all single action armies ... be it a colt or a clone
they can be rather delicate creatures ... dont buy one without expecting to have to do some
minor repairs at one time or another ... no matter whose name is on it .

True this. In this respect, Ruger REALLY changed the game.

RobS
06-20-2014, 02:35 PM
The Uberti 1873 Cattleman I held and shot is a good looking SAA clone.
http://www.jbabcock.net/guns/uberti.jpg

I checked a fellow shooter's revolver and measured the throats/barrel dimensions (.453 throats uniform and .451 barrel groove diameter). Well put together firearm for standard 45 Colt loads. We took it out to the range and it shot cast boolits very well indeed. 235 grain boolits hit point of aim and the 255's were a inch or so higher; all shooting was at 25 yards. Loads were 6.5 grains of Red Dot behind the 255 grainer and then 6.8 grains of Red Dot behind the 235. These two mentioned boolits are a LFN style (shorter nose than a standard LFN) design.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-235R-D.png

and then the solid version 255grain of this design:
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=251&osCsid=30rpppmpqrtbqethu5tvlejf53