PDA

View Full Version : Finally cast up some 285129

ohland
06-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Whipped out the pot and some mold (not psychedelic mold, either) and churned out some boolits.

All the boolits that I water dropped today have the same texture appearance. I will be getting some denatured alcohol to scrub out the molds before casting again. Some wrinkling and base issues, the sprue plate came loose during casting

bruce drake
06-13-2014, 06:38 PM
both molds look to be cold (the wrinkles in the left boolit and the rounded edges on the rigt) and a bit dirty. BUT!!! You went and cast boolits! And that is a good thing.

MBTcustom
06-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Excellent! Looks like they'll shoot.
However, if I could venture a suggestion, I would flux the pot real good (throw some sawdust in there and stir the melt real well with a wooden stick, then scrape the dust and garbage off the top several times), and cast faster so that your mold gets hotter. This will give you cleaner boolits and will make your mold last longer. You should be able to cut the sprue with finger pressure. If you have to really whack it to cut the sprue, you're going to wear out your mold prematurely and your boolits will be wrinkly.
Fun isn't it?