PDA

View Full Version : Dental Foil

RogerDat
06-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Trip to the scrap yard this morning and thanks to a smart phone and this site picked up 33 lbs. of dental x-ray foil. Did a quick check on this site using the phone and saw where people have cast with it so decided to dig it out of the scrap bin. Had them gun it and it came out a surprisingly rich Pb 96 / Sb 2.5 / Sn 1.5 so pretty good alloy right as it is. Really lite took 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket tightly packed to get to 33 lbs. Gives you some idea of how many times I had to bend over and pull another handful out of the bottom of the bin.

Also picked up 33 lb. slab that checked out as plain. Was going to resist temptation but... so much easier to get, move and store a 3/8 inch slab than try to cut lead sheeting up into manageable pieces. That sheet stuff is just a huge flattened mass in the lead scrap bin. Takes a lot of work just to get a chunk out.

bangerjim
06-13-2014, 01:42 PM
That foil as pretty much an antique today! I do not know of any modern dentist offices that still use xray packs. All have gone to digital xrays. (thank you greenies) It is not just pure lead. I have about 90# of the stuff I use occasionally to top off the pot.

banger

prsman23
06-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Look for the dentists in their late 40's and up. Too close to retirement to upgrade :-)

zomby woof
06-13-2014, 03:14 PM
That foil as pretty much an antique today! I do not know of any modern dentist offices that still use xray packs. All have gone to digital xrays. (thank you greenies) It is not just pure lead. I have about 90# of the stuff I use occasionally to top off the pot.

banger

Nope, Carestream Dental (formerly Kodak) is still making Dental X-rays five days a week 24hours a day.

Beesdad
06-13-2014, 04:08 PM
The local scrap yard has 200-300 lbs. in stock now. I see it there on a regular basis.. Someone here is still using it big time.

For me I don't want to handle the stuff ..... No telling what it's contaminate with.

RogerDat
06-13-2014, 04:43 PM
The local scrap yard has 200-300 lbs. in stock now. I see it there on a regular basis.. Someone here is still using it big time.

For me I don't want to handle the stuff ..... No telling what it's contaminate with.

When handling lead I wear nitrile disposable gloves. Or at least a pair of rubber work gloves I keep in my car for handling the lucky find or heavier pieces.

I am going to run it through a 650 degree decontamination process this week end rather than leave it sitting in a bucket as I might with WW's or regular lead scrap. I think the foil is peeled off before it goes in anyone's mouth but the person handling it does put fingers in peoples mouth so I did have to think about it a bit before I decided to take it. But shiny clean lead, ready to cast? Take it I did.

jsizemore
06-13-2014, 07:11 PM
My county health dept. still uses the "antique" dental x-ray film. They make a recycle run once a year with about 300 lbs of foils. Most of the older dentists in my area still use the old technology because they are too close to retirement.

fecmech
06-13-2014, 07:43 PM
You think it's worse than the tobacco juice spit and other stuff in the ww buckets??

williamwaco
06-13-2014, 07:48 PM
You think it's worse than the tobacco juice spit and other stuff in the ww buckets??

I have been smelting wheel weights for over 50 years.

Nasty is not even descriptive.

You can't believe tha nasty stuff I have found.

Dental foils could not possibly be any worse.

Beesdad
06-13-2014, 08:11 PM
One or two tire changers spitting in the bucket is bad but 50,000 x-Ray films is another.

If I have no other option I will have to purchase me a good protective suit and dive in the lead box like everyone else.

bangerjim
06-13-2014, 09:44 PM
That dental lead does not contact anyone's mouth! It is embedded in the xray film pack that is stripped open after the exposure is taken. WW's are far worse: dog pee, spit, urine, poo, grease, food.....a potpourri of glorious stuff! And nobody worries about handling weights!!!!!

Not me anymore! I am totally done with COWW's. I mix all my alloys now.

banger

RogerDat
06-13-2014, 10:38 PM
There is a reason I have a big box of those disposable gloves. I don't "worry" but I don't do stupid things like sort WW's without gloves. I also don't chew gum I find stuck under a table.

1989toddm
06-13-2014, 11:08 PM
That dental lead does not contact anyone's mouth! It is embedded in the xray film pack that is stripped open after the exposure is taken. WW's are far worse: dog pee, spit, urine, poo, grease, food.....a potpourri of glorious stuff! And nobody worries about handling weights!!!!!

banger

Yes the dental lead gets no saliva on it.

selmerfan
06-14-2014, 01:07 PM
I think the resisters are in fear of contamination from X-rays, not bodily fluids. For those of you in fear - I'll be happy to take them for you.

bangerjim
06-14-2014, 01:14 PM
I think the resisters are in fear of contamination from X-rays, not bodily fluids. For those of you in fear - I'll be happy to take them for you.

I think they need to go back to HS chemistry and physics!

banger

selmerfan
06-14-2014, 02:00 PM
i think they need to go back to hs chemistry and physics!

Banger

shhhh!!!!!!!!!

Beesdad
06-14-2014, 05:52 PM
I think they need to go back to HS chemistry and physics!

banger

It is my background that gives me some concern ( Chemist by training ) and no I am not concerned about residual x-rays.. Also I spent 4 years in a commercial micro lab with enough pathogens to take out NY.... So I have developed a healthy respect for what might be on the
x-ray foil... So that is why I make the choice to pass... And yes they do become contaminated with the saliva and blood when the plastic is removed...

just my .02 worth... But I will continue to use my rubber gloves when salvaging those WW's...

lightman
06-15-2014, 01:03 PM
I would think that anything that grew in a persons mouth would have a very short life, once away from the host. Even if I'm wrong, there is probably no way for it to survive the temps that we cast/smelt at. Gloves may still be a good idea!

Beesdad prolly knows a lot more than me about this. Would like to hear more from the scientific/medical guys on this subject.

bangerjim
06-15-2014, 03:38 PM
As desperate as many seem to be to find lead (trolling thru parking lots for 1 or 2 WW"s is my favorite idiocy!), I am sure they will not have a problem with the remote problem of "stuff" on dental film lead tabs. If worried, wear latex gloves. Melt away.....if you can even find it in today's tech era xray field.

Bangerjim