PDA

View Full Version : dros or tin

Static line
06-13-2014, 06:43 AM
I thought I better ask since this is all new to me and I don't want to mess up a good thing. When I melt my wheel weights and flux it several times,I get it nice clean and shinny on the surface.As I am pouring into my ingot molds a dull gray silvery film starts covering the surface.Is this tin and antimony or more dros.Should I skim this stuff off or stir it back into the mix?

TNRELOADER
06-13-2014, 08:28 AM
I am new to this also. But it seems no matter how clean I get the wheel weights when I also pour ingots I have the same thing happen. I believe as the lead level goes down that dross and impurities are stuck on the side of the pot turn loose and float. When I go to empty my lee 20 lb for cleaning their will be some dross stuck in the bottom of the pot also. I may be wrong so maybe someone else will chime in.

Tnreloader

osteodoc08
06-13-2014, 08:59 AM
It's oxidation. Dont worry about it. If using a bottom pour you dont have to worry, if using a dipper, push it off to the side and dip from the silvery area you just opened up. The heat will cause this skim to form again (oxidation)

When I get done skiming all the **** off the top and I get oxidation, I'll skim but save this (called dross but a lot of it is oxidized alloy and when I get enough it goes back in the smelting pot)

I keep beeswax around (get some from RandyRat) and when I'll keep a thin layer in the casting pot to keep oxidation away (I use a bottom pour). I also flux with it.

Static line
06-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Great,thanks for the quick answers to my question.I just didn't want my tin or antimony to get away from me,what little there is in wheel weights.

osteodoc08
06-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Ive always added 1-2% tin to my COWW for better fill out.

There is an overwhelming bit of knowledge here. Take a few days and read through the stickys at the top of every sub forum. You'll learn a bunch. That and trial and error.

62chevy
06-13-2014, 11:24 AM
OK this just confirmed what I had thought. I ladle pour and still keep some saw dust ash in the pot to help with oxidation.

osteodoc08
06-13-2014, 11:46 AM
OK this just confirmed what I had thought. I ladle pour and still keep some saw dust ash in the pot to help with oxidation.
Be sure to push it off to the side before you dip if you do that.

62chevy
06-13-2014, 02:53 PM

Be sure to push it off to the side before you dip if you do that.

Believe me it's like a religion push it back but moving it around now and then helps the oxidation. Plus it's only about a quarter of the pot.