PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'm joining the 41 magnum club...

Deep Six
06-12-2014, 09:36 PM
So today I had to do a little traveling for work. I decided to stop at a nearby gun store on the way home. I was about to go home empty handed when I made my last stop at the single action display case. They had about 30 Ruger single actions on display so I started looking through them. I noticed they had a few 41s to chose from. Looking a little closer, I noticed that lo and behold, one of the 41s was a flattop! It even had the 6.5" barrel! Supposedly very few of the 41 flattops were made in a single run back in 2009 and I've been looking for one of these for 2 years so I tried to keep calm as I asked one of the store employees to pull it out for me. Then I noticed the sale tag hanging from it. It was marked down to $470! Everything looked good on it so I asked him what the gun's story was (they were selling it as "new"). Apparently it got lost in the back of the store and they just pulled it out and marked it down cheap since it's 5 years old already. Needless to say, I wasn't going to let this one escape so I plunked down the money on it right away. Thanks to IL's stupid 72 hour wait on handguns, we will be re-united on Sunday!

Now I just need to get brass, dies, a shellplate, and mold! Looking forward to joining the 41 club!

Guesser
06-12-2014, 10:16 PM
You will never be sorry!!!!!

Lefty Red
06-12-2014, 10:27 PM
I had one in the shorter barrel. Really liked it. Wish I knew then what I know now about casting and reloading. Would still have it.
LGS has one that is like new for $435 cash OTD. Hard to past on it.
Jerry

shoot-n-lead
06-12-2014, 10:58 PM
I have often considered one, but just never been able to muster enough interest to take the plunge. And, I doubt that I will ever have one to shoot, although I would buy one at a bargain, just to say that I had one. I find myself shooting 44 special more than any bigbore, so I really have no need for one...if that has anything to do with it.

tigweldit
06-12-2014, 11:37 PM
I still have my Ruger .41 that my folks gave me for Christmass in 1968. Never sent it in for the transfer bar "upgrade",thank goodness. My dad was a paperwork hoarder. A few years ago I found the original receipt. He paid $89.00, with a box of soft points. Thousands of rounds and many years later,this is still my favorite gun ever.

littlejack
06-12-2014, 11:48 PM
I can't think of a single thing wrong with the .41 magnum.
Great snag.
I was out just today, shooting my model 57. Bought it in 1972, and still love it.
Regards
Jack

Blkpwdrbuff
06-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Deep six,
Welcome to the .41 Mag fraternity!!
I have had one since 1980. I paid about $170 brand new. Never regretted it.
Now, be on the lookout for a Marlin 1894. They are a blast.
Blkpwdrbuff

osteodoc08
06-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the club. You'll love it. It is all steel too and the free spin pawl is awesome and the cylinder actually lines up at the cylinder stops for loading/unloading.

It sports the old XR-3 grip frame so be careful with the full house knuckle busters.

I had one but had to let it go due to finances. I miss it. I wanted to make a custom out of it and get the fram CCH and a few other things, but it just didnt work out.

Groo
06-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Groo here
Now that you have one I fear that your views of the 44 will be somewhat jaded..
After shooting most all the bigger guns I keep coming back to the 41 and the 357.
Have not found much of anything that those two CAN'T do...

Tatume
06-13-2014, 01:36 PM
My first 41 Rem Mag revolver gave me the illness, now I have a Ruger BH, S&W M57 Mountain Gun, and FA M97, all four inch (or close). They are all wonderful revolvers. You'll love it!

Deep Six
06-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Welcome to the club. You'll love it. It is all steel too and the free spin pawl is awesome and the cylinder actually lines up at the cylinder stops for loading/unloading.

It sports the old XR-3 grip frame so be careful with the full house knuckle busters.

I had one but had to let it go due to finances. I miss it. I wanted to make a custom out of it and get the fram CCH and a few other things, but it just didnt work out.

Well I already have a flattop 44 special and the knuckle-buster loads don't bother me in that one. I'm one of the weirdos who likes the XR-3 under recoil. I knew I had to have one of the 41 flattops the moment I learned they existed. It's taken me 2 years to find one. I'm so pumped I finally snagged one!

**oneshot**
06-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the 41mag club.

PM sent

jetinteriorguy
06-13-2014, 09:43 PM
My M57 will be buried with me. It's the one gun I would never part with no matter how much money someone offered me. Now if I can just find a Marlin to go with it without having to mortgage the house to get it.

kweidner
06-15-2014, 05:36 AM
Ahhhhh the .41. Warning they are addictive as cast boolits!

Scharfschuetze
06-15-2014, 03:14 PM
Ditto on all the "welcomes" above. You won't be sorry.

gwpercle
06-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the club! Get a few boolit moulds and you'll be set! That's a great deal and it is one of the flattops to boot, excellent find.
The dumbest thing I ever did was not buy a second hand three-screw Blackhawk in 41 mag. in 1972, because I thought only a 44 magnum would do, for the grand sum of $75.00! I'm still kicking myself for passing that deal up!!!
I know better now, that's a model 58 S&W in my avatar and I've learned my lesson well .
Gary

Deep Six
06-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Brought the gun home today. Only issue I found is that the front site isn't perfectly indexed on the barrel. I'll try shooting it - if it won't shoot straight it'll be making a trip back to Ruger. More than likely I can just adjust the rear to match.

I also cleaned and lubed it up. Determined that it has the lock under the grip so I ordered up the parts to get rid of it from midway. The store I got it from wanted 63 bucks for a box of factory ammo. I passed on that and ordered a set of dies and some brass along with the other stuff from midway.

Now I just need to figure out what mold I want to get. Hope to shoot it soon!

Also got the chain saw out and cut a limb off a dead chestnut tree in my backyard. Found a section with some nice figure so I think I'm going to try to make a set of grips. Those plastic cheese graters they come with are an abomination!

dougader
06-15-2014, 11:47 PM
My 44 special flat top came with the front sight pointed to about 12:30. Ruger sent me a call tag for UPS, and I had it back in under 2 weeks. Now I can sight in and get my shots in the bullseye.

.45Cole
06-16-2014, 12:56 AM
Pics!

Combat Diver
06-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the .41 Club!

CD

GLynn41
06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
good on you it is a pleasing round to use

Lance Boyle
06-24-2014, 10:39 AM
One of my favorites and I don't own, just covet others; 41 mag BH, my friend has and another friend has a plan m57 and 657 Lew Horton special that I fell in love with, i shot it well.