PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Decapping Pin ??

Remmy4477
06-12-2014, 08:38 AM
OK now my Dad taught me how to reload when I was about 13, been doing it since.But last night I found there was one thing he never told me about. Decapping pin's. As I recall he never discussed them as he never broke one, so in his eye's no discussion needed.So, I was reloading some 43 Spanish and ran into an issue with the decapping pin. I was FL sizing when one case would not cam over on the press, I gave it a bit more pressure on the arm and I heard a pop. What the? Got looking and my D-pin was bent, not broke. I carefully bent it back and had to fool with it to work. Finnally it popped the primer out. Looked at the die and the shaft that holds the pin, one of the adjustment nuts on the top of the die was loose, not much but just enough to make the pin shaft wobble a bit. I tightened it down and deprimmed the rest of my run. Lesson learned--make sure adjustments are tight!!!My question, How do you replace the decapping pin??? Where do you get them?? It's a standered RCBS rifle die. I'm quite sure mine's going to break here soon after getting bent! I've looked at the shaft and it's just a threaded rod ending with some nurling at the pin with a screw driver slot at the top.Probably simple but I'm just not seeing it???

VHoward
06-12-2014, 10:17 AM
That knurling is there so you can get a grip on it and unscrew the cap that hold the decap pin in. RCBS makes 2 different styles of decapping pins, so you will need to uninstall the one you have to know which one to order. You can order them from Midway or some other reloading supply merchant.

I had a decapping pin break in my RCBS X-die that I have for .223. I couldn't find any in stock anywhere, so I called RCBS and explained that to them and they sent me some decapping pins and a center post for free. They would not let me pay for them. I haven't broken a decap pin since.

BruceB
06-12-2014, 12:16 PM
My oldest RCBS dies are dated 1966, and *I* bought them myself at that time.

Just yesterday, I received a shipment from RCBS, which, among other things, contained spare decapping pins in BOTH styles ("headed" and straight), and BOTH sizes in each style. Decap pins are consumables, and lack of spares will bring your loading to a screeching halt until a replacement can be obtained.

I recently moved to a new location, and had lost track of my spares. (Naturally, two days after placing the order, my missing ones surfaced. I now have PLENTY of spare pins!)

Another thing in that shipment was a group of THREE .22-caliber decapping assemblies, because they are rather fragile, and I have bent or broken many over the years.

Having replacements for the items which are likely to become casualties is just good planning.

If they are never needed, well and good. If they ARE needed on occasion,you will bless your forward thinking....

Bayou52
06-12-2014, 01:25 PM
My question, How do you replace the decapping pin??? Where do you get them?? It's a standered RCBS rifle die. I'm quite sure mine's going to break here soon after getting bent! I've looked at the shaft and it's just a threaded rod ending with some nurling at the pin with a screw driver slot at the top.Probably simple but I'm just not seeing it???

The decapping pin is held in place by the neck expander button that screws onto the end of the decapping rod. Uncsrew the neck expander button, and the decapping pin can be removed.

Simply call RCBS and tell them what happened. RCBS has stellar and unmatched (IMHO) customer service. I'll bet you a steak dinner the customer rep offers to send you some additional decapping pins at absolutely no charge and no shipping fee, either.

Remmy4477
06-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Gentlemen, Thank you all for the input and info! I looked at the pin this evening. Knurled part screwed off with a little help from a set of pliars. Just a straight pin, well kinda straight anyways.I will give RCBS a call in the morning and talk with them. Will give an update as to the outcome. Thanks again all.

TXGunNut
06-12-2014, 11:12 PM
I split a pack of spare pins with my shooting buddy awhile back...OK, he swiped some last time he was over.:lol: That's OK, I've never broken one while I had spares. They work in my Redding die as well but it came with a spare...and an Allen wrench.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-12-2014, 11:17 PM
If you are stuck without a replacement decapping pin you can make one out of a finishing nail with or without the head. Measure for length and cut to size. But nails are kind of soft so you will have to harden it/them. This is done by heating it until it is red in color and then dunking it in cold water. I don't know if this is the best metal working process, but it is better than "no pin" until you can order/buy some new ones. A few that I made are still around in case I ever need one in a pinch. LLS

Wayne Smith
06-13-2014, 07:55 AM
You can make them out of piano wire, too. You don't have to harden that.

nicholst55
06-13-2014, 09:26 AM
The Lee Universal Decapping Die is almost all I ever decap with, these days. Sure, it adds an additional step to the process, but the pin is on a collet and (supposedly) won't break. I recently discovered a .22LR case inside a piece of rifle brass that I was trying to decap, and the collet worked as designed.

VHoward
06-13-2014, 09:51 AM
I've broken a Lee decapping pin in my universal decapper.

mold maker
06-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Me too, but Lee sent me a replacement within an hr of me calling them. At my door (free) in just over a day.

r1kk1
06-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Broke one on Lee decapper too. It was less than 6.00 shipped to me from Lee. I use a Sinclair with different assemblies for the calibers Lee doesn't do.

take care

r1kk1

Bayou52
06-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Me too, but Lee sent me a replacement within an hr of me calling them. At my door (free) in just over a day.

My experience with Lee when calling in for replacement parts, is that sometimes they charge for parts and sometimes they don't.

It's like at the DMV - it depends on "who's at the window" - no rhyme or reason, in my experience.

RCBS, on the other hand, is another story. I've actually had difficulty in buying parts from RCBS. RCBS routinely replaces broken parts at no charge and no shipping. Even when I've explained I was at fault in causing the damage - like bending a decapping rod on a berdan case I failed to pick out, for example. They have the best customer service in the industry.

blikseme300
06-13-2014, 02:45 PM
I also broke a Lee universal pin when a Berdan case slipped by me. Bought 4, just in case, and have yet to break another. Rule of thumb - If you have a spare you probably won't need it.

Duckiller
06-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Remmy call RCBS they have two sizes and two styles of decapping pins. They will help you a lot.

Hawkeye45
06-13-2014, 09:45 PM
For emergencies with my RCBS dies, I cut a proper size Allen wrench to length. Never bent or broken one yet. Even kept one in my .308 die after I got replacements.

Mr Ed

dh2
06-13-2014, 09:54 PM
I have had more damaged moving with the Army every few years than any other way, but a phone call to RCBS will get you a free pack of pins and/or a decaping rod mailed to you

BNE
06-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Gentlemen, Thank you all for the input and info! I looked at the pin this evening. Knurled part screwed off with a little help from a set of pliars. Just a straight pin, well kinda straight anyways.I will give RCBS a call in the morning and talk with them. Will give an update as to the outcome. Thanks again all.

I would go ahead and get both types the next time you order. I didn't and had to rob my other dies to "borrow" one to keep running. I have gone several years at a stretch with out breaking one and then broke 2 in the last couple of months. (Stinking BERDAN primers snuck up on me.)[smilie=b:

The good news is they are cheap.

Down South
06-15-2014, 08:37 PM
RCBS will send you a new pack of decaping pins, 4-5 upon request. All you have to do is say I screwed up and broke the decaping pin, the next sentence form them is what is your shipping address.

Remmy4477
06-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Well guys, Got around to calling RCBS today. And just like everyone said, New pins should be here by Monday and no payment required! Thanks all for the info. Tell ya, thats the best customer service I have had in a very very long time!!!

GrantA
07-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Glad they fixed you up. I'd say RCBS and Dillon have the best customer service of all the major reloading equipment manufacturers