PDA

View Full Version : Peep Sight Info for Winchester 94

terryt
06-12-2014, 12:34 AM
Hi:

I want to install a peep sight on my 94 an is there a certain front sight that goes with it or can you us the the original sight.

Thanks,

Terryt

Tatume
06-12-2014, 07:01 AM
There is no certain front sight. You may be able to zero your rifle with the original front sight, but it is unlikely. I like XS Sights, partly because they supply the buyer with plastic "try" sights. They are tall, and can be clipped with a pocket knife or fingernail clipper. Go to the range and shoot your gun, determine the correct sight height, and XS will send you that sight.

Another reason I like XS is their front sights are visible. They are 0.1" wide black blades with white paint on the leading edge. Excellent sights.

I also like the XS rear sights, but instead of using the apertures supplied in the kits, I call and ask for a substitution. They have available an aperture post that is threaded on the inside to accept Williams sight discs. These are not advertised, but they have given them to me for every set I've requested.

Take care, Tom

marvelshooter
06-12-2014, 07:16 AM
What do you currently have for a rear sight? I have an old '94 with a rear buckhorn sight that I put a tang mounted peep sight on. The sight picture is right through the buckhorn to the original front sight.

izzyjoe
06-12-2014, 07:52 AM
I put a marbles green fiber optic front sight on my 357 marlin, and it seems to work well. The only thing I've noticed is my eye picks up the front sight faster.

snaketail
06-12-2014, 09:50 AM
My 94 has a Williams Receiver sight with a Lyman 17 front sight. The Lyman is a hooded sight and works well for my in Lever Action Silhouette.
M

John Boy
06-12-2014, 10:11 AM
My 94 has a Williams Receiver sight with a Lyman 17 front sight. The Lyman is a hooded sight and works well for my in Lever Action Silhouette.Ditto

Outpost75
06-12-2014, 10:46 AM
I have the XS peep sights on mine and like them very much.

Larry Gibson
06-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Having put several Lyman receiver sights on several M94s over the years I never had a problem not using the original front sight (height). The Slide sits very low when bottomed out on top of the receiver. Only reason I changed a front sight out was to make it a blade/post front sight. Both of my M94s have Lyman receiver sights on them......wouldn't have it any other way.

Larry Gibson

9w1911
06-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Im about to install one on my Marlin :)I would like a new fibre optic front sight just because i cant see

JHeath
06-12-2014, 02:11 PM
What do you currently have for a rear sight? I have an old '94 with a rear buckhorn sight that I put a tang mounted peep sight on. The sight picture is right through the buckhorn to the original front sight.

Is that a typical setup? I've seen it in photographs and pondered it. It seems the tang sight is really a diopter this way, like the Merit Optical Aid that attaches to your glasses.

Jon K
06-12-2014, 02:55 PM
you can use any front sight, you wish, with the adjustable rear...adjust & shoot.

Jon

salvadore
06-13-2014, 09:02 AM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm297/farcla/DSCN0694_zps129c3008.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/farcla/media/DSCN0694_zps129c3008.jpg.html)

My Lyman sat way high with the original ramp front sight so I went with one that dovetailed onto the barrel.

Tatume
06-13-2014, 01:30 PM
you can use any front sight, you wish, with the adjustable rear...adjust & shoot.

Many original equipment front sights are much to low to be used with aftermarket aperture sights. Furthermore, some aperture sighs have a very limited adjustment range, and it is necessary to install a front sight that falls within that adjustment range. In addition, there are those among us who prefer the rear sight be near the bottom of its adjustment range, for various reasons (less susceptible to damage, more up adjustment available, appearances, etc.). This requires fitting the front sight to the application.

Take care, Tom

TXGunNut
06-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Winchester sights are made in different heights. Try it with the existing front sight and go from there. Just went down that road with a "new" 38-55. Sights would have worked fine with modern smokeless loads but I wanted to shoot the correct ;-) propellant in this grand old cartridge. Even with a tang sight the front sight was too tall, found a shorter front sight in my parts box so next range trip will be a lot more fun. :-)

snaketail
06-14-2014, 10:45 AM
I'd like to find a Merit disk for my Williams sight - I shot in a match last month and had an awful allergy reaction in my shooting eye - fogged up. One of the guys loaned me a larger diameter disk (bigger hole in the middle) and I was fine. An adjustable peep sight would be a cool addition.
M

TXGunNut
06-14-2014, 11:59 AM
I'd like to find a Merit disk for my Williams sight - I shot in a match last month and had an awful allergy reaction in my shooting eye - fogged up. One of the guys loaned me a larger diameter disk (bigger hole in the middle) and I was fine. An adjustable peep sight would be a cool addition.
M

Marble sights come with three apertures; one is a larger outside diameter target disc with a very small aperture that I could possibly use under ideal conditions. Other two are smaller OD discs with apertures that work for me under most conditions. The Merit option is tempting, IMHO a much better price and design that the disc that has multiple "dial up" apertures.

http://meritcorporation.com/products.html

Tatume
06-15-2014, 06:49 AM
M

Merit adjustable target apertures are available at Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=merit

The hunting discs are out of stock.

Take care, Tom