PDA

View Full Version : So maybe this is a problem with my size die ?

Jack Stanley
06-11-2014, 09:27 PM
I finally used up the last of my Hornady gas checks in twenty-two caliber . So I started using the batch of Gator checks I got from Blammer a while back .

I have been using a LEE push through to seat the checks first and never problem until I used the Gator checks . What is now happening is when entering the die the flare on the check is getting caught and being bent at the same time it's being crimped on giving a very uneven base .

Using them in an RCBS lube sizer they work fine so I'm not real upset . I am curious though if this is a unique problem to LEE dies or did I just get one "made on Monday" .

Thanks , Jack

Beagle333
06-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Sometimes you gotta "slick em up" with a little 800-1000 grit paper and get them glass smooth. And if they still do it, I just keep a can of mink oil (from shoe dept at WalMart) near me and as I put them in the sizer, I touch the top of the lube first. A little dab'll do ya.... and I mean hardly any! Works great on aluminum checks too.... which want to stick more than copper checks.

Jack Stanley
06-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks Beagle , I'll check the entry and see what it looks like . For lube though when I've been doing this in the past , I do a light tumble lube with Johnsons paste wax before going through the die . That is on the bullet and not the checks though .

Jack

littlejack
06-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Hey Jack:
Are you pushing the boolits nose first, or base first with the gas check entering first?
It is recommended that when using the Lee push through die, to push the boolit through base first.
Just sayin.
Regards
Jack

blikseme300
06-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Sometimes you gotta "slick em up" with a little 800-1000 grit paper and get them glass smooth. And if they still do it, I just keep a can of mink oil (from shoe dept at WalMart) near me and as I put them in the sizer, I touch the top of the lube first. A little dab'll do ya.... and I mean hardly any! Works great on aluminum checks too.... which want to stick more than copper checks.

Been my experience also. The Lee dies typically need smoothing and polishing before they work well with aluminum GC's. It does not hurt to do the same for copper GC's either.

blikseme300
06-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks Beagle , I'll check the entry and see what it looks like . For lube though when I've been doing this in the past , I do a light tumble lube with Johnsons paste wax before going through the die . That is on the bullet and not the checks though .

Jack

I also lube the boolits before seating and sizing but I use a light mist of lanolin/alcohol, the same mix I use for case lube on rifle cases.

Jack Stanley
06-12-2014, 10:46 PM
I've been pushing them through nose first , I haven't tried base first . With the Hornady checks just set them reasonably close to the center and push it through while grabbing the next bullet .

If I have to do this base first I may as well use the Lube-a-matic to get the job done .

Jack