PDA

View Full Version : Got my press and dies in today....

TaylorS
06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
So I did what any kid with a new toy would do got it out and played with it decapped a box of brass and decided to play with the other dies some but I think I got it figured now here's today's resultshttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/12/u3upuby6.jpg I'm just glad I don't have any powder yet ! Back to reading for me :D

Sgtonory
06-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Ewe what is that copper looking thing sticking out the end of the case.

Zymurgy50
06-11-2014, 08:54 PM
9mm? 40? Looks to me that you need a bit more belling of the case. Please ignore the previous comment, many of us started reloading with jacketed bullets, and a few of us even make our own jacketed bullets.

TaylorS
06-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Lol it's a 9 and apparently I don't know who to kill to get some pistol powder everywhere I've looked they've been out. The first one seated just out of dumb luck the second one well reality set in and I used the expander die and crimp die on the last one look Purdy good IMO :D

Bonz
06-11-2014, 09:04 PM
those look like Hornady 9mm XTP's You have to be very careful with them, they have a length issue because of the ogive of the bullet. You should start out with some X-Treme 9mm copper plated 115gr or 124gr, they are very forgiving.

canyon-ghost
06-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Yep, pistol rounds=belling die (or flaring die) just about all the time. And yes, most presses are stout enough to crush brass cases. You're learning, keep on keepin' on!

Just watch your seating depth in 9mm. It builds pressure pretty rapidly for a small pistol round.

TaylorS
06-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Will do I've got those Horndy xtps cause a friend thought he was gettin a hell of a deal on live ammo there hp so good enough for my carry guns but what kinda length issue according to the book they've been coming out under max length by a long shot

pretzelxx
06-11-2014, 11:51 PM
I too have loaded up some dummy xtp and fed thru both of my pistols at least a dozen times per round at a few different lengths to find the best. Unfortunately no live fires because mo powder seems to exist around here. They'll hopefully work just fine loaded up! Good luck loading and finding components!!!

Bonz
06-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Will do I've got those Horndy xtps cause a friend thought he was gettin a hell of a deal on live ammo there hp so good enough for my carry guns but what kinda length issue according to the book they've been coming out under max length by a long shot

Don't know if you have any reloading manuals yet, they will provide you with a wealth of information. My favorite is "Modern Reloading, Second Edition by Richard Lee". This hardcover book covers just about everything, is easy to read and is full of 'loading recipes'. It very clearly shows the 'minimum COL' depending on which smokeless powder you are using. Point is if you load a round too short for a specific smokeless powder, you will probably damage/blow up your pistol when you fire it.

gunoil
06-12-2014, 09:20 AM
you can load with shotgun powder. Prob cant find that either, none here at Ft Bragg NC either or tri-country area. What press and dies did u buy? l shoot pistol only.

str8wal
06-12-2014, 09:34 AM
they've been coming out under max length by a long shot

Um, that is adjustable.

Handloader109
06-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Powder is real hit or miss, mainly MISS!
I received reloading supplies Christmas, and it was almost 3 months of looking before I ran across a bottle of Red Dot. Another month before I found anything else and a couple of weeks went by and I was able to pick up several more varieties for my rifle (can usually find rifle powder now) and pistol.
But now lately, nothing but rifle on shelves again. I'm stocked, but still on look out for one of the more popular pistol powders. keep looking, shotgun powder is good in the 9mm, keep a list of what you can find reloading data on in your pocket or phone at ALL times. Stop at any shop you can........Good luck. Read and learn while waiting. BTW, those XTPs are fun. Got a free box with set of dies and had purchased a box earlier. Oh, BTW, I would say the above goes for Primers too!

davep
06-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately no live fires because mo powder seems to exist around here. They'll hopefully work just fine loaded up! Good luck loading and finding components!!!

I'm in the same boat. Bought a bunch of hardware, bullets and primers, have brass. No powder. I hear about somebody seeing it from time to time, but not for me yet. I'm trying to wait for Unique, lots of reading of threads has me convinced it's about the most versatile for a clean burning powder, and I'd like to start with something static before I tweak too much. But, I may give up and just go live at Cabelas until a truck rolls up with something, if nothing comes along soon.

So what kind of hardware did you buy?

youngmman
06-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Bruno's Shooters Supply in Phoenix has most everything but it cycles in and out pretty quick. I just watched each day and in about two weeks I was able to get 8lbs of Unique. They had other powder I used but I didn't need any. They seem to be on a priority delivery from manufacturers.

pretzelxx
06-12-2014, 11:13 AM
I got the hornady classic kit, came with a sonic cleaner for a dollar when you bought the kit. I went ahead and got the free 500 jwords that came with the purchase of their system as well. I've got about 1500 9mm mixed headstamps, 1100 556 mixed headstamps, an ACE mould for the 556 and a mihec 9mm mould.

Oh, and lee carbide for 9mm and I'm holding off on the 556 dies for the time being. I'm going to get the rcbs x die and probably just rcbs other stuff as well.

mdi
06-12-2014, 11:29 AM
OAL is determined by the shape of the bullet and the chamber of your gun. If the full diameter is far forward on the bullet, a shorter OAL is needed to have the bullet clear the rifling/end of the chamber. Best bet for a new reloader is to use the reloading manual published by the manufacturer of the bullets you use. If those are XTPs, use a Hornady manual...

TaylorS
06-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Ahh I'm working with the Lyman 49th specs shows a 1.090" OAL a lee challenger and lee carbide 4die set I've got 3 places I'm gonna run by this weekend if I can see if I can pick up some primers I've got some powder for my 308/556 and primers for 308 so I think I'll look for lead for them both and get the dies ordered this week my reloading bench is to small for all I gotta do XD.

enfieldphile
06-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Bro,

Thanks for the heads up on Bruno's Shooters Supply on powder! They are taking backorders on the pistol powder I use. Seems like, as you say, they get it in on a semi-regular basis. I bit 'da boolit and ordered two 8# kegs. :wink:

Bruno's Shooters Supply in Phoenix has most everything but it cycles in and out pretty quick. I just watched each day and in about two weeks I was able to get 8lbs of Unique. They had other powder I used but I didn't need any. They seem to be on a priority delivery from manufacturers.

TaylorS
06-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Powder is real hit or miss, mainly MISS!
I received reloading supplies Christmas, and it was almost 3 months of looking before I ran across a bottle of Red Dot. Another month before I found anything else and a couple of weeks went by and I was able to pick up several more varieties for my rifle (can usually find rifle powder now) and pistol.
But now lately, nothing but rifle on shelves again. I'm stocked, but still on look out for one of the more popular pistol powders. keep looking, shotgun powder is good in the 9mm, keep a list of what you can find reloading data on in your pocket or phone at ALL times. Stop at any shop you can........Good luck. Read and learn while waiting. BTW, those XTPs are fun. Got a free box with set of dies and had purchased a box earlier. Oh, BTW, I would say the above goes for Primers too!

What kind of shotgun powder is gonna be best for the 9 mm ? They get run through a beretta 92a1 and a Taurus pt111pro and once in a while a hi point carbine

EDG
06-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Check Natchez Shooter's Supply for Unique or sign up for gunbot

davep
06-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Check Natchez Shooter's Supply for Unique or sign up for gunbot

Natchez doesn't appear to have Unique in stock.

TaylorS
06-20-2014, 08:19 PM
I was able to get my hands on a pound of titegroup and have about 100 rounds produced of 9mm and tonite I got my powder funnel and my measure in today after 30 min of messing with it and still not getting a consistent throw one way or the other I gave up on it and went back to my lee scoop and funnel to charge my 223 rounds XD so I'm wondering what am I doing wrong? I'm useing a Lyman 55 measure

nola jack
06-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Taylor, what part of the country are you in?

500MAG
06-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Midsouth has been getting in powder, check it daily. You can search by "in stock" only. I picked up some IMR4227 yesterday from them. Got some powder last week from Bruno's, although, their prices are high. I try to stay away from gunbroker because that's part of the cause of the problem but I did find a seller on there that will ship 4 pounds for a $19 shipping fee and the price for h110 wasn't too bad.

TaylorS
06-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Texas panhandle jack I've found a few places between here and Amarillo I can get some as I need

nola jack
06-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Texas panhandle jack I've found a few places between here and Amarillo I can get some as I need

Good, if you're over there and looking for anything, the place to ask is texasguntalk.com

farmallcrew
06-21-2014, 03:19 PM
When i start a new caliber in reloading i make a couple dummy rounds from the different steps of reloading. I have one that to trim length, i have one that it expanded(if case recquires it) and one with a jword or boolit or one of each for the COAL. Most of my rounds are at the length of factory rounds.

Ive been reloading for over 17 years, still new stuff to learn and to make it more enjoyable. And you will make mistakes along the way, we all do. Have fun.

DLCTEX
06-23-2014, 11:27 PM
I use Red Dot (shotgun) powder in 9mm with 125 gr. boolits with great accuracy.

Ehaver
06-25-2014, 12:01 AM
I was able to get my hands on a pound of titegroup and have about 100 rounds produced of 9mm and tonite I got my powder funnel and my measure in today after 30 min of messing with it and still not getting a consistent throw one way or the other I gave up on it and went back to my lee scoop and funnel to charge my 223 rounds XD so I'm wondering what am I doing wrong? I'm useing a Lyman 55 measure

The powder needs to settle a bit in the measure before it gets consistent. Even then, it can still be off by .xxxxxxx or so. Try drumming your fingers on the side to help it compact a bit.

I don’t know what kind of experience you have in reloading, or what you have read, but my advice to you is to do things in batches. As in, get an empty bullet tray and resize/clean 50 cases, then prime those fifty, then flare, then when you are ready to make a complete round, charge and place a bullet on the case. Press it down slightly so it is snug in the case and then seat and crimp them.

I do this so I never lose track of what I am doing. I have coffee cans of brass that are sized/cleaned/primed/flared. Some cans are brass that is ready to go, some are at various stages. All labeled and sealed.

Just get your own process set up and stick to it. Routines are good!