PDA

View Full Version : 125Grain 357 load question

milsurpaddict
06-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Does anyone here like H110 for 357 Load? I am not sure I lie the compressed powder option for handloading with such a big caliper. What are your thoughts

NSB
06-11-2014, 07:43 PM
The 357 probably doesn't fall into the category of a "big" caliber. H110 will work fine with a 125g bullet but you'll get a lot of muzzle flash. There are other powders better suited to the lighter bullet but if that's all you've got, it's not a terrible choice. You are going to get a lot of flame and flash with that powder. You're not supposed to reduce charges much on that powder at all. It has a very narrow range for use. If you have other powders, list them and maybe someone can help you make a better choice. Also need to know what you're going to use it for. If just for plinking, there are a lot better choices.

StratsMan
06-20-2014, 10:01 PM
The 357 probably doesn't fall into the category of a "big" caliber. H110 will work fine with a 125g bullet but you'll get a lot of muzzle flash.

Of course, if you're shooting them from a Winchester 94, you won't get nearly as much flash as I get from my 4" Smith and Wesson... You will have an "authoritative" boom using the minimum load in a revolver, but like NSB said, there are much better powder choices for plinking... You also didn't tell us which projectile your using (jacketed or cast)...

I'm long on Bullseye, and I enjoy shooting 5.0-5.5 grains with a 158 grain cast boolit in the 357. Load data says I can go higher, but I don't feel a need to do so... Personally, I reserve the magnum powders like H110 for jacketed bullets....

Larry Gibson
06-21-2014, 12:36 PM
I use H110 with 125 gr jacketed bullets in my 6"+ barreled revolvers and my Contender. It is excellent in that use. However with 125 gr cast bullets H110 does not do well.

Larry Gibson

375supermag
06-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Hi...
I use H110 with 125gr Hornady HP/XTPs in my S&W 686 Silhouette model and a couple of Ruger BlackHawks with 6-1/2" barrels.
The charge is about a half grain below the book maximum,IIRC. I think the table in the reloading manual rates them at c.1500fps.
I don't own a chronograph, so no idea what they clock out of my revolvers.

It is loud and generally gets everybody's attention at the range.
I usually only load and shoot about a hundred or so each year. They are pretty flat shooting...just the ticket for groundhog hunting with a revolver.

dragon813gt
06-21-2014, 05:40 PM
I use H110 in my 357s for magnum velocity loads. However I do not use it w/ 125 grain bullets. That weight bullet is for plinking loads and W231 is better suited for this purpose.

375supermag
06-21-2014, 07:59 PM
I use H110 in my 357s for magnum velocity loads. However I do not use it w/ 125 grain bullets. That weight bullet is for plinking loads and W231 is better suited for this purpose.
Hi...
I used to shoot 125gr LSWC with Blue Dot for a plinking load, but decided that I would use the 158gr LSWC as a plinking, target and general purpose bullet powered with Blue Dot.
I actually get better accuracy with the heavier bullet across the board with half a dozen .357 revolvers.
I do use Hornady HP/XTPs in 125, 158 and 180 grains, but have virtually eliminated the 125gr LSWC. Eliminating the 125gr LSWC makes it just a bit easier to acquire and maintain inventory. Four bullets in .357Mag is enough (for me).
One less bullet to inventory doesn't seem like a lot, but even one less bullet over 10-12 handgun cartridges I load for makes life a bit simpler. Besides, if I decide to start using it again, I can just order some or pick them up at the LGS. I just don't want to maintain 4-5 thousand bullets on hand as I do for the cast bullets I shoot in every handgun caliber. And believe me, the way my 20-year old son goes through ammunition, I would need to keep that many on hand, because no matter how many cartridges I reload, there never seem to be enough to go around.