PDA

View Full Version : First blt of the year!

gwpercle
06-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Harvested the first two home grown vine ripened tomatoes yesterday, constructed blt's with white bread , mayo, lettuce, several strips of crispy bacon, thick tomato slices and kicked it it up with a slice of american cheese......OH it was so good, can't wait for another.
I would have posted photo's but all I could think about was enjoying those sandwiches!
Maybe next time....gary

rush1886
06-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Call me JEALOUS!! Here in Ideeho, we're still worrying about losing our new plants to frost!
BLT's are my favorite, especially that first one of the year. ENJOY!

Lance Boyle
06-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Nice! Heck, I just picked up my started tomato plants today! (NNY).

BLT's are just about my favorite sandwich of all time. I see you added cheese to your BLT. Sometimes those subtle changes make all the difference. One of my favorite adjustments is having a Turkey Club on toasted whole wheat bread with swiss cheese added. Up another notch!

MaryB
06-11-2014, 11:47 PM
My tomatoes are starting to set flowers but I am picking them off to make the plants grow a bit larger.

gwpercle
06-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Louisiana is just a bit closer to the equator so we get tomatoes earlier than you guy's up north, But you don't have to worry about hurricanes . Buy August our tomato plants are spent and withering from the heat....you will probably have tomato's into September...it all evens out.

Gary

williamwaco
06-12-2014, 02:12 PM
BLT is also my favorite.

Zymurgy50
06-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Southern Michigan we can have tomatoes well into October. Only had ours planted for about 2 1/2 weeks now, gonna be at least six more weeks before we see any red.....

WRideout
06-21-2014, 07:25 AM
A BLT with sliced avocado is just this side of heaven! (says this California expat)

Wayne

AlaskanGuy
06-21-2014, 09:44 AM
I haven't had a real home grown tomato for so long... I forgot how good they are... Tomatoes we get here are just red mush...

DougGuy
06-21-2014, 10:06 AM
I had the first two tomatoes out of my garden already, but I must admit, they were fried green tomatoes to serve with fried shrimp! Also, they were GOOD!!

We're getting the last little handful of about 2gals of black raspberries, this morning's whole grain pancakes will use a handful of freshly picked blueberries (along with pecans and a side of deer sausage!) and the blackberries are just starting to come in.

I have had to defend my garden beds against every form of hungry critter, the more bountiful your crops, the more it draws them in.. This year was double excellent for berries. Hope the 'maters follow suit!

TXGunNut
06-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Grasshoppers and vertigo ended my gardening season early last year. Looks like grasshoppers are going to be bad again this year so I guess I'll just bum some tomatoes off my shooting buddy. Think he's bringing squash and tomatoes to the range tomorrow. He has more time for gardening anyway.

bikerbeans
06-21-2014, 11:33 AM
I just picked up a hog from the processor that a friend of mine raised for me. I have about a dozen packages of smoked bacon. I am doing my best not to cook any of this bacon until the homegrown tomatoes are ripe. Once the tomatoes are ready and I have a new jar of Hellman's Mayo, white bread and fresh lettuce this bacon will not last long.

BB

MaryB
06-21-2014, 09:13 PM
I always fresh grind some flour and make fresh bread with it for the BLT...

jaysouth
06-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Friday, I had my first BLT with home grown tomatoes. I slice peel the tomatoes, slice into 1.5 inch slices, seed and place on whole wheat toast, 6 slices of bacon and mayo. Downed with a couple of cold beers, it is my opening rite of summer.

It may also be my last one for a while. Decent bacon is $6.99 a pound hereabouts.