PDA

View Full Version : Lapping a rifle musket barrel?

ExMachina
06-11-2014, 09:27 AM
My (new) Pedersoli Enfiled P58 has two constrictions in the barrel, the worst of which is about half and inch above the position of a fully seated minie. The constriction prevents ramming home w/o some some very serious effort and I think the current degree of in-barrel swaging is affecting accuracy.

I've considered fire lapping (Beartooth has instructions) but suspect that the constriction might be too close to the powder to allow the skirt to expand sufficiently for effective fire lapping.

The other option is hand lapping, but becasue the breech plug is so tight this would be a gunsmith job.

Any options I should consider before taking to a smith?

Thanks

docone31
06-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Get some balls, and patches. Use lapping compound for lube.
I had great results with my Hawken that way.

ExMachina
06-11-2014, 09:38 AM

Thanks. Approximately how tight--just tight enough to ram by hand or "hammer tight"?

Rattus58
06-11-2014, 01:23 PM
My (new) Pedersoli Enfiled P58 has two constrictions in the barrel, the worst of which is about half and inch above the position of a fully seated minie. The constriction prevents ramming home w/o some some very serious effort and I think the current degree of in-barrel swaging is affecting accuracy.

I've considered fire lapping (Beartooth has instructions) but suspect that the constriction might be too close to the powder to allow the skirt to expand sufficiently for effective fire lapping.

The other option is hand lapping, but becasue the breech plug is so tight this would be a gunsmith job.

Any options I should consider before taking to a smith?

ThanksIn my opinion, I'd send the gun back. I have a hard time envisioning your bullet obturating once past the constriction.

Tatume
06-11-2014, 04:16 PM
How well does it shoot?

SSGOldfart
06-11-2014, 04:31 PM

mine worked out great as well

ExMachina
06-11-2014, 08:05 PM
How well does it shoot?

it seems erratic (but i didn't bench it). but accuracy will be bad until i fix the (apparently common) problem of a poorly bedded breech/tang where the nipple snail rides the lock plate rather than the breech contacting the stock.

but i know the ramming issue cannot be good for the bullet (basically the bullet slides easily until right above the powder and then i have to throw the rammer to get it down the last 1/2-inch)

fouronesix
06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
In my opinion, I'd send the gun back. I have a hard time envisioning your bullet obturating once past the constriction.

Me too. If this is a new gun purchased by you, then no reason to have to try to correct something that isn't right. A noticeable constriction (or two) in the bore is not right. You should also be able to see such a constriction by dropping a bore light down. I've no idea about current Pedersoli service policy.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Me too. If this is a new gun purchased by you, then no reason to have to try to correct something that isn't right. A noticeable constriction (or two) in the bore is not right. You should also be able to see such a constriction by dropping a bore light down. I've no idea about current Pedersoli service policy.

This is the best option without a doubt. BvT

Col4570
06-17-2014, 11:55 PM
You say the restriction is just above the fully loaded minie.This could be well deposited fouling,wrap some steel wool around a wiping rod tightly, dip in oil and work on the rough area.The area you describe is exactly where the highest heat and pressure occurs and could well be only baked on crud.it is worth a try.