PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Armory .38spl? Hmmm, I'm listening...

Animal
06-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Do any of you have experience with this revolver? I bought one of there 1911s and have been very happy. But a revolver? I haven't heard anyone talking about them. The price is stupid cheap, but so was the price tag on my RIA 1911.

This wouldn't be a carry weapon, but it would need to fit the quality standard of a home defense weapon. It would be fired on a regular basis to ensure the shooter will be proficient (meaning my wife and kiddoes). I'll feed it a healthy diet of cast boolits loaded to standard velocities. Most likely, 158 grainers.

What ya think?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539731/Rock+Island+Model+51261+M200+6RD+38SP+4%22

NVScouter
06-10-2014, 11:28 PM
My friend had the .357. Very basic but a good piece.

35remington
06-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Interested in the responses.

scaevola
06-10-2014, 11:59 PM
I had one. Not beautifully finished, but it worked well. A school teacher I took shooting liked it so I sold it to her; I wouldn't have done that if I'd believed there was any problem with it.

MBTcustom
06-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Rock Island is solid. They make good products and they stand behind them. Gunsmiths name is Aarnel.
Across the board, they are heavy, ugly, pretty accurate, and very reliable. Buddy of mine is married to a cute little red head, and has three cute little kids but they are poor. His cute little wifey has been harassed by some fellers twice her size (seriously, if she's five feet tall, she must be wearing shoes, so that's not saying much) Anyway, he was asking me what to get her for a purse gun, and he couldn't spend a dime over $250. I told him to get the RI 38 and spend the rest on ammo. They love it.

Animal
06-11-2014, 12:16 AM
If you look at the reviews on Budsgunshop, there really isn't much that is bad to say about the gun. One of the 41 buyers seemed to have some legit problems, but the rest were overall satisfied. It's a basic gun, basic sights (fixed) and basic parkarized finish. It seems like it does exactly what it is supposed to do... for a back-up gun. As long as the throats, bore, b/c gap, timing and lock-up are in reasonable tolerances, I will be satisfied. I really do hate those 'ifs' though.

35remington
06-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Too bad you couldn't touch and feel a few before buying, with a few sized bullets measuring .357, .358, .359 and .360 to slip in the cylinder throats to judge their size carried with you to point of purchase. All the rest you can judge with "touchy feely" save steel quality.

A guess would be that steel hardness might be a little on the mild side, which would mean little to no Plus P, but what do I know? I'm speculating. A .38 limited to standard velocity loads is not that big of a handicap, and for utilitarian use is none at all.

Animal
06-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Too bad you couldn't touch and feel a few before buying, with a few sized bullets measuring .357, .358, .359 and .360 to slip in the cylinder throats to judge their size carried with you to point of purchase. All the rest you can judge with "touchy feely" save steel quality.

A guess would be that steel hardness might be a little on the mild side, which would mean little to no Plus P, but what do I know? I'm speculating. A .38 limited to standard velocity loads is not that big of a handicap, and for utilitarian use is none at all.

Agreed. As far as plus P pressures go, I'm hoping the 4 in barrel will give enough burn time and velocity to negate the need for hot loads. I've never understood the logic behind hot loads and tiny barrels. If this .38spl wasn't a full size, I doubt it would have caught my attention.

historicfirearms
06-11-2014, 10:26 AM
You might want to look for a used S&W model 10. Not knocking RIA, but I know I'd be happier with a higher quality gun.

Animal
06-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Truthfully, I came across this revolver while doing a search for .44spl revolvers. Nothing against the .38, it has pulled its own weight for many many years. I'd consider buying this one for a nightstand gun, but if it was a .44spl... my impulsive nature would have kicked in and this thread would have been titled... "I just bought this cheap .44spl... how did I do?" lol

Animal
06-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Okay, I'm going to have to pass on the RIA .38. It appears that a Charter Arms .44spl followed me home instead.

SSGOldfart
06-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Interested in the responses.

me too I've been thinking about one myself for close target work I'm 148gr WC fan myself

Lefty Red
06-11-2014, 11:12 PM
I shoot one and an EEA revolver at the range last week. Both seems to be on par with each other. I shoot 148 WC and they grouped as good as my S&W 642. I wouldn't past one up for $250.

And I want to know where all the cheap used S&W revolvers everyone is finding? I can't find any for under $400. Saw a Ruger Security Six SS for $475.

Jerry

Garyshome
06-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Seems like a good firearm, good reviews, I might give it a try if I was looking for a 38.

Uncle R.
06-12-2014, 12:23 AM
...And I want to know where all the cheap used S&W revolvers everyone is finding? I can't find any for under $400. Saw a Ruger Security Six SS for $475.

Jerry

Matches my experience.
Twenty years ago or more when every cop in the country was switching over to wonder-nines there were used model 10s and 13s and 65s seemingly everywhere at prices that made me smile. I grabbed a couple of nice K-frames but I wish I had grabbed ten more. And now - where did they all go? When you find those old service revolvers for sale today they're usually priced like gold.
<
And oh yeah - a Security Six for $475 is a pretty good price these days. I have a buddy that wants one bad so I've been watching the market for months. It's very rare just to find one for sale around here, and when I do they're usually closer to six - at least for the asking price.
<
Uncle R.

FergusonTO35
06-12-2014, 01:01 AM
I think that much of the price jump on ex-LE revolvers is due to buyers' perceived lack of quality and rejection of the internal lock in current S&W revolvers. They would rather have an old cop gun on the range and for general use, and save wear and tear on their pet pre-lock commercial gun. Not hatin', just what I can tell from the forums and my local shop.