PDA

View Full Version : Lee....Dillon

lunicy
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I figured I'd chime in.
Lemme' put this thing to bed.
I started out with lee stuff. Thought this was the cats pj's. In about a week you get tired of dealing with the lee stuff. Went to see an old timer who was giving up the hobby. (he broke his shoulder and will never shoot again.) I bought one of his guns from him. I also looked at his dillon 650.
Long story short, I left with the dillon. It looked complicated. I set it on the bench. (bolted it down). I was making tons of ammo in seconds.

Moral of the story: If it's red, It'll make a good paperweight. The lee stuff just sits. It sits there in shame. Instead of messing around all day to make 200 rounds with 20 rejects. I make 600 rounds in an hour and go to the range.

Dillon is the best. If you can't afford a dillon, hold your lee money and search yard sales, flea markets, and ebay. Don't worry if you are the second, or fifteenth owner. Hell, for that matter, don't worry if you drop the dillon off the truck. It's warenteed. They will cover any damage no matter what. I don't care if the ex hits it with a hammer, Dillon will cover it.

I don't work for Dillon, just a very satisfied customer.

dromia
01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
It's a pity you hadn't come across a Hornady LnL AP, you would be just as satisfied at less cost.

Still some luck is better than no luck. :-D

Swagerman
01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
If you are into progressive presses, the Dillon is good...but not the only game in town.

There's RCBS, Hornady, that can offer things the Dillon don't have.

I've owned two Dillons, now have none, except a Dillon powder scale and a Dillon wrench...oh, and couple sets of the older Dillon dies. Just don't need the mass quanities of ammo anymore. I find I'm into single stage operation on a turret press that is over 40 years olld, a Lyman AA.

Now before you go bashing them Lee products, you'd better reconsider the Lee Classic cast iron model in single stage, its my best swaging buddy on the bench.

And the Lee Classic turret is a real up and comer, its selling very well for a lower price than some other make turrets.

Lee also makes very good dies for less money than others pander their stuff.

Jim

WKAYE
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
I have to wonder how much business Dillon has lost thanks to some of their over- jealous fans. I remember back on the old Shooters board someone inquired about a Hornady Projector . I don't remember if it was the reloadin or the rifle forum , but that guy was brow beat to death by Dillon supporters. BruceB was one of the few who's post was civil. After reading that thread, as much as I like collecting nice toys , I swore I would never own anything made by that company. When I finally decided to get a progressive , I got a Hornady. It has done everything I expected it to. Never owned a Lee so I won't get into this fray.

94Doug
01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I bought a Dillon 450 from my local dealer when they first came out, full price, only to have them go consumer direct a few months later 100 dollars less. I wrote to Dillon and expressed my feelings over this, and got the, "gee... were sorry" response. I never have used it much, even started converting it to a 550 with a new frame and even more money. It sits on my bench now, quite unused, and kind of a Frankenstein.

Doug

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Lunicy,

Why don't you take all of that red equipment and send it to me.[smilie=1: That Lee stuff and I will be ashamed together. :)

Everett

Marc2
01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Lunicy,

What type of Lee press do you own?

Marc

lunicy
01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I own the lee turret. I am just overjoyed by my dillon. It makes more ammo easier. Don't get me wrong, My lee stuff is ok, just in love with the dillon.

I'm giving my lee stuff (not my dies :)) to a friend who saw my set-up and wants to start. Kinda paying it forward.

I'm gonna keep my little lee single press (chalenger?) for sizing and BS.

I'm not mad at the lee stuff, just a little upset that I had to buy stuff twice. If i had to do it again, i'd go right to the dillon.

TAWILDCATT
01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Most of the people who buy LEE should never buy them as they want $600 dollar machines fo $60.they may not be capable of adjusting them right,so really need to buy $600 dollar machines.
however a newby might be put off of buying any because of cost.and we need all the help we can get to keep our guns.the more reloaders the more guns the more people to vote our way.think of it. :coffee:[smilie=1:

Marc2
01-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Lunacy,

Thanks for passing on the Lee Turret to your friend. Its nice to have a Dillon but the Lee press will make decent ammo for someone that might otherwise not be in our sport.

Marc

joatmon
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
So to get this kinda good deal I gotta break an old guys shoulder? What if he beats crap outta me with the other arm!

Swamprat1052
01-16-2008, 10:42 PM
We went through all this on the Varmint Hunting site that I run a couple of years ago. A young guy with a family who was in college and struggling wanted to get into reloading and posted a thread about doing it on a budget. A couple of us recommended the Lee Anniversary Kit, cheap but adequate. One guy in particular went on the offensive and told that kid that the press was crap and would break and it was money thrown away. He was so adamant in his attack on Lee products that the kid decided not to buy anything since he couldn't afford an expensive outfit. It was around Christmas and I really liked the guy so I ordered a Lee Aniversary Kit from Midway and had em ship it to him. It was only about $60 or so. You know what he's still using it and has gotten into bench rest shooting with his Dads old bench rest rifle and has won several matches using ammo loaded with that piece of crap.

All this back and forth about Lee Reloading equipment makes me wonder how I ever got a shell to fire as a kid reloading that old 30-30 with a Lee Handloader a guy gave me.

Swamprat

Forester
01-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Apples to Oranges really...Both brands fit well into their parts of the market. I don't think Lee's progressive would stand up for many years to loading 20, 30, or even 50 thousand rounds a year as many Dillon's do for competitive shooters. When you do wear something out on the Dillon they will bend over backwards to send you the part as fast as possible. The flip side is everyone who buys a Dillon pays for their policy of providing a warranty against everything including stupidity.

What about the guy who needs maybe up to 10 thousand rounds per year (one caliber) though? Does he need a high dollar Dillon? Not really, he is better off saving his money and spending it on components.

Some of Lee's equipment is truly exceptional, especially at the price point. Some is unadulterated junk. Dillon has a much smaller product line and less junk in it, but what is junk is worse because it is also very expensive. Lee's powder measure is in my experience not worth screwing to the bench, ditto Dillon's primer tube filler (expensive and junk on that one). I personally don't like Lee's dies except for the collet dies and factory crimp dies. I like Dillon's dies on a progressive but I don’t think they are as good as say RCBS, Hornady or Redding dies for use in a single stage. Dillon does not even make a single stage press and Lee's range from barely serviceable to very impressive depending on the model in question.

I own some Lee equipment, some Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, Forster and others. Anyone who is blindly loyal to one "color" equipment is doing themselves a disservice. Pick the best tool for the task at hand that you can afford and buy it.

Dale53
01-16-2008, 11:57 PM
>>>Anyone who is blindly loyal to one "color" equipment is doing themselves a disservice. Pick the best tool for the task at hand that you can afford and buy it.<<<

WARNING!! WARNING!! Someone is using Common Sense. Beware!! Common Sense!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I have reloading equipment from most of the major manufacturers. I have presses by Dillon, Lee, RCBS, and Lyman in no particular order. All of them make good, even outstanding products and at times somewhat LESS than outstanding.

FWIW

Dale53

Adam10mm
01-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Instead of messing around all day to make 200 rounds with 20 rejects.
If you were getting 10% rejects, it might not be the equipment. I load 200rds/hr on my LCT and have ZERO rejects.

I bought a Dillon 450 from my local dealer when they first came out, full price, only to have them go consumer direct a few months later 100 dollars less. I wrote to Dillon and expressed my feelings over this, and got the, "gee... were sorry" response. I never have used it much, even started converting it to a 550 with a new frame and even more money. It sits on my bench now, quite unused, and kind of a Frankenstein.
Doug
Let me know how much you want for it. I can send you the money next Friday. I have some leftover money coming to me from college financial aid. I'd be glad to take it off your hands. Seriously, let me know.

45nut
01-17-2008, 02:49 AM
Dale I completely agree. I "had" a piggyback from rcbs, I was completely fed up with it and sold it off at a substantial loss and never missed it and I think Lloyd bought a dillon primer tube filler that he also got rid of for cause. Nobody hits homers 100% of the time even if they are "enhanced" per Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco.

EMC45
01-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I have equipment from all the players just about (Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Herters, Texan) I will tell you this- I am very impressed by Lee products! No shame here! I remember a buddy who had a Dillon 550 years back and he cussed Lee so bad and had me convinced that any ammo off of any other press other than a Dillon was junk. So I asked him what exactly would it cost to start with a 550? About a grand! I put off reloading for several years due to that, because I HAD to have a Dillon. All the while badmouthing that Red crap of course. Well I ended up getting the Rockchucker Supreme kit and started reloading. Still badmouthing the Lee stuff of course! I got convinced to buy some Lee dies by an experienced reloader I knew. Well I have been buying Red crap ever since! To include: 2 Lee presses (Classic Cast, and small C frame), Lee Loding manual (excellent), 2 sets of dies, Perfect Powder measure, Universal Expanding Die, and some other odds and ends. I got schooled and haven't looked back yet. I have loaded ammo on a Dillon. I prefer the Hornady LNL to the Dillon hands down!!! Better press, cheaper and less complicated. Oh yeah auto indexing!

brshooter
01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I started Bullseye shooting in 1962, bought a Star Universal in 38 Special and a 45 Auto tool head extra. Later added 9mm, 32 S&W long tool head along with H&G molds and a star lubricator. Didn't have a lot of money then and just saved to buy each and every one. I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds on that press and all the bullets came from the H&G molds and thru the lubricator and still am using it. For pistol ammo they are hard to beat. They enabled me to get a Master Classification in both Bullseye and ISU shooting. The best part I can probably count on one hand all the ruined ammo it has made. Star just made well engineered and positive pistol reloading equipment that was very difficult for any other to match. Mike Dillon learned about progressive presses there and for some reason only known to him later tried his damnest to put them out of business even tho they taught him in the first place. Old age finally took his its toll on the Star Machine Works. They guys that ran it were in their 70's when they shut the door. Compare a Star reloading press to any made today, the machine work is superb, and operation is like a clock. Lee and some of the others are downright crude in comparison.

Marshal Kane
01-17-2008, 06:59 PM
. . . Star just made well engineered and positive pistol reloading equipment that was very difficult for any other to match.. . . Old age finally took his its toll on the Star Machine Works. They guys that ran it were in their 70's when they shut the door. Compare a Star reloading press to any made today, the machine work is superb, and operation is like a clock. Lee and some of the others are downright crude in comparison.
A man after my own heart. In 1964, I gave up on my Lyman Spartan single stage, bit the bullet, and bought a new Star reloader in .45 ACP. Ate a lot of peanut butter jam sandwiches to pay for it as I recall. Star, in those days, was the only company that made a progressive reloader and the quality was unbeatable. Today, I have two Star reloaders, one set up for large and the other set up for small primers. In addition, two .45 ACP heads, one .38 Special, and one 9mm Luger. Also use a Star lubrisizer. None of which came cheap but it's the price you pay for commercial grade reloading equipment. Nothing has ever broken on my Star(s) and it looks like they could be passed on to my great-grandkids functioning just as well as they do today. Sad that the San Diego based company closed it's doors due to that fact that it just couldn't compete pricewise with the modern day progressives. Those inch thick pieces of machined tool steel just could not compete with pieces of extruded plastic and zinc die castings. For those who own Star reloaders: Bill Cunningham took over the reloaders. Bill is at P.O Box 1872, Pioneer, CA 95666. TN: 209-295-5000 or www. starmachine@volcano.net. Star lubrisizers were taken over by Magma Engineering, P.O Box 161 Queen Creek, AZ 85242. TN: 480-987-9008 or www.magmaengr.com. following the demise of San Diego Star. I believe the Star is the only thing that will outlast the Energizer bunny.

Swagerman
01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
We are high jacking the thread here, but the Star brand out of old past glory San Diego machine works, is truly great equipment.

The only equipment that would probably cost you more than a Dillon set up, would be a star reloading auto press. The components are not too easy to find or acquire at a reasonable price...they are classic work pieces.

I sure don't need to get into one of those vampire wallet suckers, but I did get into a really nice Star lube-sizer with all the goodies. And let me tell you, they are the best when it comes to lubing bullets...my bullets go in nose first and comes out really quickly and well processed.

The old Lyman 45 and 450 lubber, plus the RCBS lubber are sadly lacking compared to the Star, I've got all three that still get some work on my bench.

Jim

miestro_jerry
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
On my loading bench is a Rock Chucker that orginally came with a metal primer pan, not like the plastic ones these days. That press is a keeper. I have used many brands of progressive presses over the years. For the time being I have 2 Dillon 550s and a Dillon SDB in 9mm. This elimates having several different companies worth of shell plates and other items. My Dillon 550s have done nearly a million rounds and Dillon keeps sending me replacement parts for free.

I still have two Lee priming tools and they work like a champ. :drinks:

What kind of presses do they use in the USMC Sniper/National Match Shop? Dillon, I saw it on the History Channel. :Fire:

I have a Star Luber Sizer and it is so wonderful to use. :castmine:

When a tool works good for you, learn about it and use it. Thats what Jacki keeps telling me. :-D

Jerry

brshooter
01-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Bill Cunningham, who took over all the Star Reloaders material from Star Machine Works kinda took a brief hiatus and did not answer phone nor e-mail etc for a while. I guess now, judging from the Star Machine Forum "www.starreloading.com" he has started to get out material in a timely fashion. That's great. These machines very seldom needed any parts except for what you misplaced. Bill will be a source for new tool heads for different calibers. I hope he says with it, for the star reloader is something by which everything else is measured and it is great to be able to buy the necessary parts for new calibers.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm in the "buy what you need from the company who makes it" camp. I own or have owned products from all of the current manufacturers. I sold a Dillon 550 whose primer feeder never would work, even after a trip back to Dillon. I have owned the RCBS Rock Chucker, the Lee cheapie aluminum single stage, The RCBS partner press and now own the Lee Classic Cast single stage. I own a Hornady LnL AP progressive. I own RCBS automated trim mate and automated trimmer. I've owned a Lyman T-Mag press. I think I own one of every brand of dies made.

I've shot high power and IDPA on a pretty regular basis for many years, so I know what it's like to load enough rounds for a match with a single stage or crank them right out with a progressive.

After all that, I think this: Buy what suits your application and budget, from whatever company that sells it. If it doesn't work out for you, sell it and try something from another company.

I now own three presses: The Lee Classic Cast single stage, the Lee Classic Turret and the Hornady LnL. I've added Hornady LnL bushings to my single stage. I've added a Hornady case activated powder drop and a RCBS Uniflow to my Lee Classic Turret press to reload extruded rifle powders with. I use a Lee powder through expanding die and a Lee Pro Auto Disk on my Hornady to dispense pistol powder on my high volume .45 ACP reloads. I use a RCBS lockout die to detect powder dispensing errors (usually operator error) on my Hornady. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Dillon powder alarm and install if if the RCBS lockout die hadn't done the job. I use an RCBS X-die for minimizing trimming of my .223 cases loaded on the LnL. I use a Lyman M-die set for expanding and powder drop on oddball cases I occasionally load.

I've found junk from every manufacturer. I've found jewels from every manufacturer. But I've gotten the best reloads and reloading experiences when I've mixed products from various manufacturers to meet the demands of the reloading applications I'm doing. Who cares what the brand is, as long as it gets you good reloads to shoot with at a price you can afford.

Works for me,

Dave

After all that's said and done, I'd buy

Forester
01-18-2008, 07:03 PM
On my loading bench is a Rock Chucker that orginally came with a metal primer pan, not like the plastic ones these days. That press is a keeper. I have used many brands of progressive presses over the years. For the time being I have 2 Dillon 550s and a Dillon SDB in 9mm. This elimates having several different companies worth of shell plates and other items. My Dillon 550s have done nearly a million rounds and Dillon keeps sending me replacement parts for free.

I still have two Lee priming tools and they work like a champ. :drinks:

What kind of presses do they use in the USMC Sniper/National Match Shop? Dillon, I saw it on the History Channel. :Fire:

When a tool works good for you, learn about it and use it. Thats what Jacki keeps telling me. :-D

Jerry

I didn't catch the Dillon in that show but I did see a Forster single stage, Grasey trimmers and an RCBS automatic priming tool.

lawboy
01-19-2008, 02:04 AM
Hell, try it all. That is part of the fun. The way reloading equipment trades hands on Ebay, Craigslist and other second hand markets, it is cheap enough to do. Sometimes I buy a press just because I am bored. I mean, really, they all work more or less! I currently have A Dillon 650, Lee Classic Cast, Lee turrent, RCBS Ammomaster, Pacific Super C, RCBS Reloader Special and LEE Challenger and Posness Warner P200 Metal Matic. I've owned at least 60 presses in the last 2 years from just about every current maker and many long defunct makers, including a Star set up for 45acp.

What I find is this: The Dillon will NEVER be sold so long as I am a shooter. The Lee Classic will NEVER be sold. The RCBS Ammomaster will NEVER be sold. The rest could go any time, just a matter of mood or needing space for something new on the bench. If I ever get another Forster Coax I will not be stupid enough to sell it like I did the last two I had!

Just get some equipment and get started. If you don't like it, sell and move on. There is no magic in any brand.

jawjaboy
01-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Red presses here as well. No problems or complaints at all.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000162.jpg

However, I did pick up a blue machine most recently, from a most gracious member here. It remains a work in progress at present. A fair and honest assessment will be forthcoming. :wink:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000590.jpg

38 Super Auto
01-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I understand peoples' frustration with Lee. Sometimes it's not as rugged as RCBS, Lyman, etc - but it's typically half the cost of the other manufacturers' equipment.

I started with RCBS chucker, uniflow, and a 10-10 scale with Lee prime all. I made good ammo and learned what's important.

I graduated to a Dillon 550B and was able to make more ammo faster with the same quality as my single stage setup. There is some setup time between calibers and switching between large/small pistol primers or large/small powder charges. With my reloading style, the 550B is perfect. I don't need the additional caliber conversion costs and complexity of a 650 or 1050. I have gotten very proficient and a casefeeder and auto indexing won't improve my speed enough to be worth the $$.

I think Lee stuff fills a needed market - the need for reasonably priced equipment. There are things they sell that I wouldn't buy, but I like their FC dies for auto rounds and their collet die for rifle load crimping. Their classic cast press is a tank.

I have gotten good repair service from Lee and Dillon.

I prefer Dillon for the bulk of my loading because I shoot a lot of pistol rounds.

For large caliber rifle, where you might shoot 25-50 rounds in an outing, I think a single stage with a turret would be ideal.

From what I have seen on Evil-Bay, used Lee equipment get good prices. Sometimes approaching and exceeding retail prices?

dromia
01-19-2008, 12:58 PM
An interesting read here, Lee, Hornady, Dillon comparison:

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

quasi
01-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Lee is entry level equipment. It has made reloading much cheaper to get started in. I got started in semi-progressive reloading with a Lee turret press with auto index. It was a big step up for reloading pistol cartridges. I grew to hate it.

I bought a Dillon 550. It was much better. The only problems I had with it was the priming system. The grit from decapping in the same station as priming would foul the priming station, making it unreliable if not cleaned regularily.

On KLW's recomendation , I got a RCBS 2000. I think of it as a 550 improved. Cast iron instead of aluminum construction, 5 stations instead of 4, decapping and priming in different stations and a clean used primer and grit disposall system ( like the LNL). The strip priming system is a dream to use , much better than the Dillon tubes.

RCBS is bringing out an add on auto index kit for the 2000 at this years SHOT show. I don't know why unless a case feeder is in the works.

Of course, Dillon has a case feeder for the 550 , and the 550 design has probably loaded a million rounds for every round loaded on a RCBS 2000. The 550 design is well proven. I believe the RCBS 2000 was brought out when Dillons patent ran out on the slide in turret.

I have found the 2000 to be easier to run than the 550, it is bigger all around and more ergonomic. I really miss the roller handle I had on my 550, I have to fabricate one for my 2000. The 550 design has been around for what? 20-25 years? I think RCBS took the 550 design and improved it much as Hornady has taken the 650 design and improved it for the LNL.

PatMarlin
01-20-2008, 02:29 AM
My 550 sits while I work up loads on my Lee presses. I like LEE dies better than Dillons also cept for maybe the .357 Sig. I use my Lee dies in the 550.

They all get along nicely together on my bench. No whining... :mrgreen:

dromia
01-20-2008, 06:13 AM
RCBS bringing out auto indexing, thats interesting.

I bought my first progressive near 15 years ago, I tried to get a Dillon at first based on a second hand recommendation, no internet then as we know it now.

Rang Dillon from the UK and got the most obnoxious sales person I'd ever heard on the other end, he wouldn't answer my questions, just the same Dillon ******** about there being nothing else to compare and spent most of the time knocking the opposition and demanding my credit card number in stead of telling me the strengths of the Dillon product.

Hard sell is real turn off to me so Dillon has been a no no since.

Anyway I bought and RCBS Ammomaster progressive and was well pleased. I still have it, it has turned out 10s of thousands of rounds over the years and never missed a beat.

When I was looking for second progressive 2-3 years ago I wanted another Ammomaster but for some reason RCBS dropped it from their line. I looked at their 2000 but as I wanted auto indexing it didn't meet my spec.

I bought a Hornady LnL AP and its another fine press that does the job no bother and I'm very happy with it. Specification on par with the Dillon 650 but a lot less money.

I might be looking for a third progressive this year and was going to get another LnL AP, but if RCBS are doing an auto indexing version of the 2000 then I might give that another look.

I probably got the only bad rep Dillon has ever had when I rang all those years ago, they do make fine products. I've used friends machines so have some experience with them. The thing is though they are not the only game in town, other products do just as well and in some cases better and here's the rub, at a lot less cost.

You pays your money and............:Fire:

jawjaboy
01-20-2008, 09:11 AM
They all get along nicely together on my bench. No whining...

That's good Pat. Did'nt happen that way with me though :roll: . I carried the 550 package into the the shop the day after it arrived. That was all it took, just the mere presence of the box set the red camp on fire. Might as well a kicked 'em in the 'nads. Hell was played right then and there. It was ugly. Twer'nt purdy, at all.

I got errythang straightened out between the red/blue camps after 3 days of intensive negotiations. It's been tough. Still hear a little low level grumblin/whisperin out there at times. We a work through it though!

:mrgreen:

Shiloh
01-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I own the lee turret. I am just overjoyed by my dillon. It makes more ammo easier. Don't get me wrong, My lee stuff is ok, just in love with the dillon.

I'm giving my lee stuff (not my dies :)) to a friend who saw my set-up and wants to start. Kinda paying it forward.

I'm gonna keep my little lee single press (chalenger?) for sizing and BS.

I'm not mad at the lee stuff, just a little upset that I had to buy stuff twice. If i had to do it again, i'd go right to the dillon.

Yep.

Bought the Dillon 550 used about 18 years ago, and bought the conversion kit to upgrade to a 550B. I have never looked back. I don't even remember what the difference was.

I also have a single stage RCBS for the rifles. I could use the Dillon for rifle ammo but don't usually shoot more than 50 or 60 rounds at a time for the rifle. I sometimes shoot 150+ rounds of handgun in a session.

Have lots of RCBS and LEE dies for the single stage also several LEE bullet sizing
dies. This is a wonderful set up for boolit sizing, cheap to boot!!

I have tools and equipment from most manufacturers and all work well for there specific application. However, if I wanted a progressive press knowing what I know about the others, it would be the Dillon hands down. Love Dillons no B.S. warranty!!

Shiloh :castmine:

TAWILDCATT
01-26-2008, 12:04 AM
I have Lee presses and find them good to go.the best press I have is the RCBS green machine.better than dillon.but dedicated to one cal.mine is 38 spec.my Lee 1000 is dedicated to 45acp.have another 1000 in .223 dont use it much as I have many projects going,too many.star is probly the best.and C & H is like thee RCBS GM.[smilie=1:---:coffee:----:Fire:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-26-2008, 12:50 AM
You guys did the opposite of me, but then, I did them at different times. Back in 1999, I bought an RCBS Partner press and loaded single stage for a while. Then I bought a Rock Chucker. Tiring of loading single stage for rifle matches, I bought a Dillon 550B and hated it. I musta got the only one that absolutely could not run the priming system. After two trips back to Dillon, it still wouldn't run. I finally said to heck with it and sold it. The buddy of mine who bought it never got it to run either. Dillon finally replaced it with a new one for him I think.

Traded another buddy the Rock Chucker for a Lyman T-mag. Ended up selling the Lyman T-Mag on this board. Another fella seemed happy to have it. Can't remember where, but sold the RCBS partner press on a board somewhere to a young kid just starting reloading.

I replaced the Dillon 550 with a Hornady LnL AP. One of the first 7000 they made. It had some teething problems, being a new design, but Hornady kept upgrading to the new improved design for me and soon it began to run beautifully. Runs like a top today and really cranks the ammo. I especially love it's powder dispenser's ability to handle extruded powder with no mods. I can crank out the 30.06 rounds on it when I want to.

Picked up a Lee Classic Cast single stage. Wow, impressive, it was. Wonderful primer disposal system, no nasty primer mess to deal with, as it's routed down the ram into a plastic tube just like my Hornady LnL AP and from there into a coffee can. Just as strong as my Rock Chucker for half the price.

From the Lee Class Cast single stage, I was impressed enough to give their Classic Turret a try, as I wanted some thing faster than a single stage, but less expensive for caliber changes than a progressive. It's just as nice as the Lee Classic Cast single stage and I've added several low to medium volume milsurps to my reloading repertoire using the Classic Turret press.

At this point, if I had to give up a press, I'd sell my Hornady, since I don't need the production it provides any more and keep the Lee presses. Ironically, they offer the best combination of performance, speed, flexibility and quality I need for the reloading I'm doing now. If they had existed when I started reloading, I might not have ever needed a progressive, since I can run off 200 plus rounds an hour on the turret press, that's enough to have supplied most matches I used to shoot with no problem.

Regards,

Dave

timdco
01-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Lee's powder measure is in my experience not worth screwing to the bench,

The whole thing is just a matter of personal opinion. I like my Lee powder measure better than my redding because I don't have to worry about the setscrew coming loose and messing up my charge weight. Also it's much easier to empty when finished.

JSnover
01-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Jerry

I'd love to have a Dillon some day and if Uncle Sam would pay for it I'd have gotten one years ago :-D
I don't load more than 100 rounds at a whack and I change calibers a lot. Instead of setting up a whole bench full of equipment I bought all the right accessories (various makes) and a stack of Lee four-hole turrets. Takes about ten seconds to switch over.
The Lee "Perfect" powder measure was a joke and the Lee scale was infuriating to use.
One of these days I might upgrade but for the time being I'm satisfied with my Lee press.

Phunahm
01-27-2008, 09:54 PM
LM here going on 12k without a flicker......All the issues are operators errors [smilie=1:

hedgehorn
01-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I bought one not too long ago. Its not bad to change calibers even it you only have one measure I think it takes me about 15 minutes. I love the fact that I can see down into the case before I put a boolit on top of it. I only shoot 3 different handgun calibers and I still load single stage for my rifles. If I had to do it again I would buy another RL550B. :Fire:

Wicky
01-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Having used and still use both I find they each have their own little problems. Provided they are kept clean they both work well. I used my Lee for my 357 loads when shooting service matches and while not loading 10s of thousnads of rounds I was loading around 3000 per year and never had a problem except for the primer feed - solution - keep the hopper full.

I now shoot Western Action and use a Dillon for my 45 Colt loads. I probably load around 2000 rounds per year with this and find if you do not keep the crud from building up I have primer feeding problems with this one as well.

For the average shooter I think either will give sufficient service. For a power user - over 5-6000 rounds a year I would opt for a Dillon as I think they are more robust.

Haven't used any other type of progresive press, my others are all single stage.

My humble opinion anyway.:mrgreen:

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Im a dillon fan through and through. Ive got 6 of there progressives and love them. Are they the only thing on the market? No. Hornady makes a good unit too. Would i trade one of my dillons for one NO. Ive used the lock and load and cant bad mouth it but after years on the dillons i just have the motions down and the horndady is slightly differnt and i didnt care for it. I also have boxes of parts for dillons and know how to tweak them and dont care to learn a new operating system. Is dillon stuff compeletly reliable. NO! theres not a progressive press made that is. Even the 1050 which is truely a class act can have parts that fail. ANYTHNG mechanical will eventually break or go out of adjustment. Do i like everything dillon makes NO! Like 45nut said i had one of there auto primer fillers and it was a total piece of ****! It never worked right and after 3 trips to dillon i got fed up and asked for my money back. they gracefully obliged me. Im not the only one that was fed up with those machines. The discontinued frankfort arsenoal filler works 10 times better and was only 30 bucks instead of 250 bucks. What do i think of lee? Well ive got some opionions and they come from experience and not from someone elses mouth. I love there dies. I dont think a guy can buy bettter handgun dies at any price. I use many of there small tools like there primer tool. Ive had one single stage o press and a couple of there turnent presses and although they surely arent as stout as a lyman or rcbs they will suffice for about 80 percent of the loaders out there. they will make just as good of ammo as anything else and for alot less money. Mine are all gone now and replaced with heavier duty stuff but then i load much more then the average guy. Only lee press i have left is a couple of there little hand presses and there very handy units. Now to my sore spot. there progressives. Sorry guys but ive had pro 1000s and loadmasters and there nothing but a headache. If you want a progressive my best advice is to load on your single stage a couple more years and save for something better. Sure i could make them work. But when i loading i want to crank out ammo not fool with a *** press. I dont think i ever had a session with one of them that went totaly smooth. With my square deals i can crank out a couple thousand on one and switch to another and do the same. Sure they sometimes need some tweeking too but its surely not daily. Another thing i never liked about lee is there spotty customer service. Buy something for dilon rcbs or hornady and they back it no questions asked. Lee seems like it depends on what day you call them. One time they will bend over backwards the next with the same problem they will make you pull your hair out. One thing that really drives me nuts about lee is there attitude. They actually think they make a progressive press that is better then a dillon. If you try to make a suggestion to them they treat you like you dont know a thing. Theyve got the attitude that there way is the best and thats it. Why they dont do a few things like try to make a progressive that is actually a competitor with the rest is beyond me. If they sold us a 500 dollar press that actually worked id be the first in line for one. they have some great ideas but apply them in the cheapest way possible. Same for there molds. There 6 cavity molds are a decent mold but there 2 cavitys are junk and to me a waste of time to even buy. Ive asked them why they dont consider making a steel 6 cavity like there alum ones and they actually told me that im the first person that has complained about there mold quality!!!! can you believe that one!! I also suggested to them one day that they start marketing some of the group buy designs that weve had cut. It told them that they were just better designs then what they had. They said that they sell all the molds they can make and the reason was that there existing designs were far superior to anything theyve seen in a group buy mold. Now im no bullet engineer but thats got to be about the dumbest comment ive ever heard. I guess i will allways use some of there products. Why? because some of them just plain work and are very reasonably priced. Ill give them another pat on the back as theyve made it possible for thousands of reloaders to get into to it that couldnt have afforded to otherwize. I still tell beginners to pick up one of there basic 0 press kits for a starting press. There cheap, they work and when you outgrow it and want something better it will allways be able to be used for some aspect of loading. If you buy one and find out you dont care for loading your out less then the price of a couple boxes of ammo. But in my opinion to spend 2-300 bucks to get into one of there progressives when you can be paitient and buy a used dillon for the same amount or a 100 bucks more is just not smart.
Dale I completely agree. I "had" a piggyback from rcbs, I was completely fed up with it and sold it off at a substantial loss and never missed it and I think Lloyd bought a dillon primer tube filler that he also got rid of for cause. Nobody hits homers 100% of the time even if they are "enhanced" per Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco.

clintsfolly
01-28-2008, 10:52 AM
the blue(dillon) and green(rcbs) are on the bench the red (lee)is in the basement clint

Down South
02-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I’ve never owned a Lee press so I can’t say if they are good or bad from experience. I started out with a RCBS Rock Chucker back in the early 70’s. I still load all of my rifle ammo on the Rock Chucker. I bought a Dillon RL550B for my pistols last year and I’m very pleased with it. I do have equipment from most major manufactures including Lee. I love my Lee 4-Die sets. I also like the Lee Auto Disk Pro Powder Measure. I’m going to buy a couple more of the Lee powder measures since that I can use them on my Dillon. They are a lot cheaper than Dillon and do a great job.

TxGunfighter
02-05-2008, 01:00 AM
I started loading in 72 and still use my original Rock Chucker for small quantity loads. I have MEC and Ponsness presses for Shotshells even used the Spolar. I have used ever press you could imagine from Hollywood to Texan to Lyman, Hornady, Lee, Herters, RCBS Progressives, LnL etc etc... I now shoot CAS and SASS and load and shoot about 1200 rounds a week. Yep 1200 rounds a week. 45 Colt and 45-70. I have convertibles and also shoot 45ACP and 45 Schoefields. I have alot of other calibers but these I shoot all the time...

There is no comparison. Blue wins hands down. I am not saying that any of these other presses are in any way bad. They just don't perform like a Dillon. I run about 800-850 rounds an hour out of my 650. Bud by any means thats fast!!!
Dillons warranty is excellant.. No questions asked policy and you know RCBS has the same warranty...
Dillon's resale value is unbelieveable. I could sell my press now for what I paid for it years ago.. I have alot of money invested. I have complete heads and powder measures and powder checks etc etc for over 20 calibers.. So I can change calibers in about 12-15 minutes max...

If your not shooting alot can you justify a Dillon? Thats up to you.
Anything more than 200 rounds a week I would look at a progressive unless your loading for maximum smoke and need to weight every powder charge.
The resale value is great on a Dillon..
If you shoot alot, my time is my most valuable asset so I can justify a Dillon Reloader.

Before I started shooting alot I would of never considered such an investment in metallic reloading equipment.
Believe you me back in the 70's I use to sit infront of my Rock Chucker and load a 1000 rounds of 357 in several sittings then load the 45ACP's then the 308's...
I then got into Sillouettes and loaded for all the contender calibers. 30 Herrett, 357 Herrett, 444 Jurris, 22K Hornet, 218, 22 Jet, 221 FB, 7mm-08 etc. All on a single stage press all in large quantities. I have been there and I have alot of respect for you guys that are still hammering away on the old single stage presses. I guess thats why I sometimes have a problem when advice is given to others looking for a easier way to load....

Your number one choice IMHO would be a Dillon..
Dillon has alot of models to choose from with the 550 being their most popular model. I prefer the 650 with all the bells and whistles.
My 2 Cents for what ever it may be worth.:Fire:
TxGunfighter

I figured I'd chime in.
Lemme' put this thing to bed.
I started out with lee stuff. Thought this was the cats pj's. In about a week you get tired of dealing with the lee stuff. Went to see an old timer who was giving up the hobby. (he broke his shoulder and will never shoot again.) I bought one of his guns from him. I also looked at his dillon 650.
Long story short, I left with the dillon. It looked complicated. I set it on the bench. (bolted it down). I was making tons of ammo in seconds.

Moral of the story: If it's red, It'll make a good paperweight. The lee stuff just sits. It sits there in shame. Instead of messing around all day to make 200 rounds with 20 rejects. I make 600 rounds in an hour and go to the range.

Dillon is the best. If you can't afford a dillon, hold your lee money and search yard sales, flea markets, and ebay. Don't worry if you are the second, or fifteenth owner. Hell, for that matter, don't worry if you drop the dillon off the truck. It's warenteed. They will cover any damage no matter what. I don't care if the ex hits it with a hammer, Dillon will cover it.

I don't work for Dillon, just a very satisfied customer.