PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka Success

bruce drake
09-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, not sure if this qualifys as a Military rifle since I got it as a rusty barreled receiver and have rebuilt it up from there since. But I'm proud of it and here it goes:

My Arisaka (Type 99)

It currently has a Lyman front and rear sight and sits in a commercial RIA stock. Everything else is still stock.

I slugged the barrel and it sits at .313" in diameter. I've tried jacket bullets (308, 310, 311, 312) and it sprayed all over the target face at 100 yards. I decided then that this rifle would be a cast rifle. I don't have any 30 cal molds that drop near .314 so I resize bullets made from Lee's 170gr .323 RN down to .314 with a 32 cal gascheck. I go first through a .323 sizer to seat the gascheck, relube and then move to a .314 sizer. It leaves the lube grooves shallow but still capable of holding some lube (I lube with Lee Liquid Alox lube so this isn't a major concern)

I shoot 12.5 grains of Red Dot and it groups quite well when I do my half of the shooting. Today was a case in point. I've been developing a load that I can use at my next 100yard reduced High-power Match. Today, I think I've finally got it down.

A five shot group off a prone shooting position at 100 yards. 1.7 inches! [smilie=w: All in the 10 ring with 2 -Xs on a 200 yard reduced SR-1 target face. Considering that I'll be shooting this at reduced distance matches, I'm starting to believe that this dream of mine is do-able. Shooting a Cast Lead Rifle at a NRA Highpower Match. It might cause a few heads to turn!

Bruce Drake

moodyholler
09-11-2005, 08:35 PM
I have one my Grandad brought back from Leyte that was sporterized in the 60's that will shoot under one inch at a 100 yards with 174 RN bullets and a 6x scope. It hasa Lyman 48 on it now and a williams ramp front. Stock is bedded and is a typical 60's style. I have had a bunch of them and some are good and some are bad. FWIW, moodyholler

StarMetal
09-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Drake,

That's darn good. I have one that is stock. Mine's the Type 99 short rifle, althought it's not really short, but I guess shorter then the original. Now mine shoots really good with the Hornady 174 gr round nose. In fact I took a deer with it. As for cast I have the 314299 which I size to .313 and shoot from this rifle. It so far only shoots cast so so. I'll get maybe little over two inch groups at 100 yards off the bench with the issue sights. Take in mind that my loads are moving, they are definately not a light plinking load. Did you notice how easy those chromelined bores clean out?

Joe

bruce drake
01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Joe,

Those bores cleanup really quick. I use Shooter's Choice and it just pulls everything off.

Bruce

Buckshot
01-21-2006, 06:16 AM
...............Bruce, so things are definately looking up, eh 8)? I was on E-Bay earlier this evening and it was surprising how much Arisaka stuff was turning up. A rangemaster we used to have bought a Arisaka late war rifle. The action was externaly as rough as a cob and it had the real simple fixed rear sight. The barrel was turned real quick as it almost looked like it had screw threads on it.

He had some old WW2 ammo, so we potted a few at the 200 meter gong. All the ammo was click-bang type stuff, but it sure felt powerfull enough. Hit the plate a couple times too!

...............Buckshot

StarMetal
01-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Buckshot

The way you described that Arisaka, it sounds like the late last ditch rifles...supposely deemed not safe to shoot. Funny huh, the soldiers that had them sure as hell had to shoot them.

Joe