PDA

View Full Version : Will Ruger do caliber conversions?

Deep Six
06-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I have an early 90s production Redhawk - the common 7.5" blue 44. It's got quite a few rounds through it and the finish is kinda worn in places. Also the face of forcing cone isn't square - it's always been that way and still shoots OK but it's always kind of bothered me.

Anyways, I have several 44s, only one 45, and find the 7.5" barrel kind of clumsy in a DA revolver. I've been contemplating sending it off to a custom smith to have it converted to 45 Colt, shortened to 5", and re-finished. Since this would be an expensive proposition, I hesitated and considered other options. The one thing I thought of was sending it back to Ruger and having it turned into a 5.5" 45 using factory parts (that would be cheaper than a custom conversion...hopefully) I'm just wondering if Ruger will do this or if they have a strict policy of keeping it the caliber that it was originally made in. Perhaps someone here knows from experience...

warboar_21
06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
My suggestion would be to contact them directly and ask. They have a list of services that they do. It doesn't say exactly that they do caliber conversions but they do fit new cylinders and install new barrels on handguns.

http://www.ruger.com/service/serviceFees.html

W.R.Buchanan
06-10-2014, 02:16 PM
I think contacting Ruger is the best course of action, since nobody here really knows the answer. Make sure you talk to one of the Smiths since a regular Customer Service person might not actually know the answer, and just say no.

Randy

DougGuy
06-10-2014, 02:33 PM
They won't turn your revolver into one that isn't the same catalog number, so I think it's safe to say you can forget about a caliber conversion from Ruger since it would be a different catalog number then. They MAY shorten the barrel and refinish it unless the shorter barrel version is a different catalog number, in which case they won't.

str8wal
06-10-2014, 02:37 PM
They won't turn your revolver into one that isn't the same catalog number, so I think it's safe to say you can forget about a caliber conversion from Ruger since it would be a different catalog number then. They MAY shorten the barrel and refinish it unless the shorter barrel version is a different catalog number, in which case they won't.

Yep. Ruger will fix it up like new, but it will be the same as it was.

Deep Six
06-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Dang! Too bad.

Deep Six
06-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Any one want to recommend a smith? I know of the big name guys like Bowen, Clements, Linebaugh, Harton, etc. It seems that half them aren't even accepting work at this point and those that are have a 2 year wait.

FLHTC
06-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Hamilton Bowen does great work. I have one of his conversions but the barrel has a smaller outside diameter than the original Blackhawk barrels so a Weaver or B Square "No Drill" mount won't work.

telebasher
06-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I wanted to rebarrel a #1 to a different caliber, no dice. They will only send out the firearm, rifle or pistol exactly as it came new from the factory. I was later told that it throwed a kink in the BATF records because they cannot go back and change calibers on the original forms. Strictly forbidden by Big Brother.

DougGuy
06-10-2014, 10:53 PM
OP, have you thought about just selling the thing and getting what you want in another gun? It seems like the easiest way to go at this point..

MT Gianni
06-10-2014, 11:20 PM
If you bought a new Ruger 45 you would probably need to fix throats. I would look for a good pistolsmith if it were me.

Piedmont
06-11-2014, 12:39 AM
It is likely Ruger would rebarrel to a shorter .44 Mag for much less than having someone shorten and convert to another caliber. You could have them reblue while you are at it.

denul
06-11-2014, 06:13 AM
I recently asked them to rebarrel or cut a 480 Ruger to a different length.the person I talked to said they can only return a gun to its original configuration. Obviously, that doesn't include upgrades to the safety improvements on the action.

Deep Six
06-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Yeah, except Redhawks in 45 are very difficult to find. Supposedly now that long gun production has moved to north carolina, the NH facility is devoted to revolvers. Sources say we can expect higher production and more models. Supposedly the Redhawk is one model they are producing again and even bringing out new configurations. I'll give it some time and see if they surprise me with a new model i cant live without.

DougGuy
06-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Try this guy: http://www.gallagherfirearms.com/default.asp?page=1

scattershot
06-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Just a thought, but the conversions you want would probably exceed the cost of a new pistol. Maybe you could shop for another gun, and have two.

Piedmont
06-11-2014, 10:26 AM
It used to be they would return it to any condition they made them in. So, long ago, they rebarreled a .45 Blackhawk of mine from a 7.5" to a 4 & 5/8 because that was a barrel length they had offered the gun in. So if that policy is still in force they could screw a 5.5 or 4" barrel on your .44 Redhawk.

historicfirearms
06-11-2014, 12:29 PM
I've had a 4" and a 5.5" Redhawk in 44 mag. The 5.5" one is much more pleasant to shoot and it is more accurate. I never could get the 4" one to shoot worth a hoot even after a trip back to Ruger. The 5.5" gun is not noticeably less cumbersome than the 4" either.

seaboltm
06-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Alan Harton in Houston, TX has a great reputation for being good and fast. Problem is, he is known for single action revolvers. Don't know if he would touch a Redhawk:

713-772-8314 or 713-907-6031

Deep Six
06-11-2014, 02:37 PM
I heard Harton retired / isn't taking orders.

FergusonTO35
06-12-2014, 12:09 PM
You ought to go ask about it on rugerforum.com. The consensus is that Ruger will only return it to stock condition but there are reports from respected sources that suggest Ruger does some semi-custom stuff from time to time. It may just depend on the attitude of whichever tech gets it. There are reports of them installing different barrels and grip frames at no charge. I have a Single Six that I would like to have a 5.5" barrel installed. Been meaning to call about it but just don't have the time to spend on hold.

seaboltm
06-12-2014, 03:42 PM
I heard Harton retired / isn't taking orders.

Could be. I ran in to him a gun range about 6 months ago and he was talking about retiring. He was test firing some of his work. Very impressive work I might add.